Author Topic: Classical music  (Read 9801 times)

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
Classical music
« on: August 04, 2008, 12:46:06 AM »
How often do you listen to classical music?

Do you ever go to live classical concerts?

Regardless of your opinion of it, is there anything that could make going to a live classical concert more appealing?

I'm involved in classical performance, but I think that classical music is terribly marketed these days. I believe that far more people would enjoy going to concerts than currently realize it; many of my non-musician friends tell me they don't like classical music, but then listen to the soundtracks to Gladiator or Lord of the Rings and talk about how cool they are. Hell, half of the progressions and motives in those works are lifted directly from classical works.

That said.... who/what are some of your favorite composers and pieces? Does anyone have particular orchestras that they favor?
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
Re: Classical music
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 12:51:17 AM »
I <3 Classical music.

I have seen MANY live performances, including the ballet version of Orff's Carmina Burana (f*king HAWT).  Of course I've seen Beethoven's 9th and the Nutcracker Suite several times.  Ravel, Debussy, Sastochovich, Stravinsky, Handel's Messiah (hated it), etc.  I try to see these as often as possible, but the local symphony plays a lot of baroque, which I hate.  I wish they would come around and play some Rimsky-Korsikov. 

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 12:56:53 AM »
but the local symphony plays a lot of baroque, which I hate.  I wish they would come around and play some Rimsky-Korsikov. 

I'm with you all the way on that point- waaay too much Baroque (and Classical) music is programmed. There are great pieces from those eras that deserve to be heard... but the ratio needs to change.

Part of the problem is that many real fans of classical music don't go to hear pieces they haven't heard before. Do you think the time/money investment in going a classical concert is too much to risk hearing crappy music?
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 12:58:52 AM »
but the local symphony plays a lot of baroque, which I hate.  I wish they would come around and play some Rimsky-Korsikov. 

I'm with you all the way on that point- waaay too much Baroque (and Classical) music is programmed. There are great pieces from those eras that deserve to be heard... but the ratio needs to change.

Part of the problem is that many real fans of classical music don't go to hear pieces they haven't heard before. Do you think the time/money investment in going a classical concert is too much to risk hearing crappy music?

I wouldn't be worried about the time/money except that I'm generally not home to see the local stuff.  They do have something I've been meaning to do, which is a dinner with wine that is paired with the music where the conductor gives a little talk about the music before hand.  That runs a little expensive, but money is not tight these days, so it's more a time thing.

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 01:06:59 AM »
My favorites are Paganini and Beethoven. I should see more classical live but have not.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 01:10:12 AM »
My favorites are Paganini and Beethoven. I should see more classical live but have not.

Greatest violinist ever, greatest composer ever. ...good choices, haha.

Can you think of anything that would get you to see more concerts?

That runs a little expensive, but money is not tight these days, so it's more a time thing.

One of my ideas is having more frequent, but shorter and more inexpensive concerts. Would that get you to the hall?

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 01:25:25 AM »
One of my ideas is having more frequent, but shorter and more inexpensive concerts. Would that get you to the hall?

Probably, but the other problem here is that if I want to watch a good show, it's a 30 minute drive with crappy parking, minimum.  Also, finding other people that want to go with.  I just don't know that many people who want to go see classical music in these parts.

Offline whitedevilbrewing

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 01:30:04 AM »
I like it, but I know fuck all about it.  Even tried to take a music class, but failed to learn anything since the lady teaching it was absolutely insane and completely unintelligible.  And she wrote the book.

Anyhow I do listen to it.  It's in there between the metal and the punk.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 01:31:47 AM »
I like it, but I know fuck all about it.  Even tried to take a music class, but failed to learn anything since the lady teaching it was absolutely insane and completely unintelligible.  And she wrote the book.

Why do the metal and punk people also like classical?

You know, if there was a mosh pit, I would also consider going to some of these shows.

Offline Hubbub

• Needs to chill out.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 01:41:10 AM »
My girlfriend's anniversary present to me was seeing Shostakovich 10 live at the BSO (Baltimore).

I'm a late romantic period guy myself... so I prefer the Brahms, Sibelius, Dvorak.

But I also really like some of the contemporary composers like Shosty and Prokofiev.  When you nearly get sent to Siberia because your fourth symphony pissed off the government too much, that means you're awesome (Shostakovich did that).

Plus a lot of the impressionists like Debussey are pretty clutch.  And yes... I just said Debussy is clutch.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 01:48:12 AM by Hubbub »

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 01:47:06 AM »
But I also really like some of the comtemporary composers like Shosty and Prokofiev.  When you nearly get sent to Siberia because your fourth symphony pissed off the government too much, that means you're awesome (Shostakovich did that).

What's this "nearly" shit? Composers better stop frontin', else they just bitches.

EDIT: Apparently I thought the verb 'to front' meant the opposite of what it does. Corrected the problem.

Offline whitedevilbrewing

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 01:59:06 AM »

You know, if there was a mosh pit, I would also consider going to some of these shows.

Dunno about the punk aspect, variety of experience maybe? But a lot of the metal I listen to incorporates classical music directly.  (I guess? Like I said, I know fuck all about it.  )

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 02:12:20 AM »
My girlfriend's anniversary present to me was seeing Shostakovich 10 live at the BSO (Baltimore).

I'm a late romantic period guy myself... so I prefer the Brahms, Sibelius, Dvorak.

But I also really like some of the contemporary composers like Shosty and Prokofiev.  When you nearly get sent to Siberia because your fourth symphony pissed off the government too much, that means you're awesome (Shostakovich did that).

Plus a lot of the impressionists like Debussey are pretty clutch.  And yes... I just said Debussy is clutch.

That's a pretty freaking great Bday present.

It was actually Shosty's opera Lady MacBeth of Mtsensk (which was wildly successful at first, and then condemned 2 years later) that got him into hot water; the fourth symphony would have added to the fire, but Shosty stopped rehearsals, and didn't premier it until 1961. He subtitled his 5th symphony "A response to just criticism", and it met with huge success. His relations with the government were shaky for the rest of his career.

What's cool about the 5th (my favorite symphony) is that even though Stalin and co loved it, and hailed the symphony as a great nationalistic triumph, Shosty included a ton of irony and middle fingers thrown at Stalin. I wrote a research paper in my undergrad about Shostakovich's communist influences (or lack thereof)... so in case you can't tell, this is a favorite topic of mine.  ;D

His 7th symphony, written about the battle at Leningrad (his home), is incredibly intense and moving... but it's very long, and energy-consuming. Great piece for a long drive. Don't miss his string quartets, or his 1st piano concerto, either.

It's in there between the metal and the punk.

Hah! Awesome. I thought I was just weird. I'm a former punk/ska junkie, and currently a hard rock/metal junky. The last live show I saw was Dethklok in July... had a blast.

Offline nocturnous

• Time Lord
  • Well Established
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 02:17:02 AM »
Contemporary Andrew York,John Adams (myspace page link),Lalle Larsson (myspace page link)

Movie composers, Danny Elfman, John Williams, Hans Zimmer,Yo Yo Ma, Howard Shore

Choral works Morton Lauridsen rolls of the top of my head

Video game composers, Nobuo Uematsu,Koji Kondo,Paul Romero,Jason Hayes

And the rest

Dowland,Stravinsky,Mozart,Paganini,Bartok,Wagner,Beethoven,chopin,Tchaikovsky
,Bach,Prokofiev,Vivaldi,Schubert,Handel,Franz Joseph Haydn and Brahms

I used to go to the conservatory and watch my friends at the music school, I also have preformed in several classical concerts. I play a lot of instruments but guitar was my major in music college.

Yes I go to concerts and no nothing new they could do to make it more appealing. I listen to mainly mpr classical radio station here a few hours a week. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 02:21:17 AM by nocturnous »

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 11:47:47 AM »

There are some similarities, in that both allow for a wide emotional range. Regina Spektor, who does some punk, is classically trained.

I usually have the local classical station on while I'm working. Favorite composer? It used to be Beethoven, but now when I reach for a classical CD it seems to be Rachmaninoff.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain