Author Topic: Forum Moderation Actions and Differentiation From Personal Moderator Opinions.  (Read 3639 times)

Offline ducky

• Well Established
    • http://skepticwiki.org
Should we have a "Mod Box" that constitutes a differentiation from official actions and opinions?

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
Could you explain what this means for the less computer literate?

(Not me, of course, I know exactly what a "Mod Box" entails, I just mean for other people..  :P)

Offline ducky

• Well Established
Could you explain what this means for the less computer literate?

(Not me, of course, I know exactly what a "Mod Box" entails, I just mean for other people..  :P)

Fair enough.

Much like the quote function, a Mod Box would put everything said within it into another color box.  This would differentiate between me just posting my normal drivel, and say, me posting a warning to another user for abusive behavior, etc. outside of "explicit."

Such as (and this is a quote box, a mod box could be any color and be titled as "Moderator/Administrator Message" or some such):

Ducky:  Please stop posting that Neutral Milk should go suck a horsecock.

whereas, if I were just sticking up for Neutral Milk, I would simply post:

Ducky:  Stop being a dick to Neutral Milk.

The difference is that without the surrounding box it would be clear my post did not carry the weight of moderator action.

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
When I was modding the skepchick.org forums, I'd change the color of my text to dark red when I was speaking ex officio and leave it black when I was just being me.

A mod box would be useful IMHO.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline ducky

• Well Established
When I was modding the skepchick.org forums, I'd change the color of my text to dark red when I was speaking ex officio and leave it black when I was just being me.

I agree on premise, however I think the solution needs to be one that isn't copyable by non-moderator/administrator users simply to avoid confusion.  Changing the text color might not be good because of this, though that may not be an issue.  I have no idea if anyone on the forum would want to confuse moderator/administrator actions or not, but it may be easier to simply prevent that outright rather than have to deal with some heated exchanges because of it later.

I'll look around and see if I can find a permissions based edit for moderator warnings.

Online Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator

I agree on premise, however I think the solution needs to be one that isn't copyable by non-moderator/administrator users simply to avoid confusion.  Changing the text color might not be good because of this, though that may not be an issue.  I have no idea if anyone on the forum would want to confuse moderator/administrator actions or not, but it may be easier to simply prevent that outright rather than have to deal with some heated exchanges because of it later.

I'll look around and see if I can find a permissions based edit for moderator warnings.

There are some decent mods out there to do this, Ducky.
#non-belief denialist

Offline thefellswooper

• One of the wittiest statisticians on the forum.
  • Frequent Poster
  • Statist
Do you anticipate an upsurge in ex officio pronouncements?
"What I tell you three times is true."
-Lewis Carroll, The Hunting of the Snark

Offline ducky

• Well Established

No, but apparently people were miffed at my stickied thread about etiquette and assumed it was de facto meant to be rules for this forum.  This would apparently mean that a differentiation needs to be made between my personal posts and official ones.

Offline thefellswooper

• One of the wittiest statisticians on the forum.
  • Frequent Poster
  • Statist

No, but apparently people were miffed at my stickied thread about etiquette and assumed it was de facto meant to be rules for this forum.  This would apparently mean that a differentiation needs to be made between my personal posts and official ones.

People get miffed about the strangest things.

I recommend that you establish two separate accounts, one for personal use and one for moderation.  The one for moderation can be distinguished by a Hitler mustache on your avatar.  DOWN WITH THE MAN ANARXY RULEZ!!!!
"What I tell you three times is true."
-Lewis Carroll, The Hunting of the Snark

Online Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator

People get miffed about the strangest things.

I recommend that you establish two separate accounts, one for personal use and one for moderation.  The one for moderation can be distinguished by a Hitler mustache on your avatar.  DOWN WITH THE MAN ANARXY RULEZ!!!!

And then he can get in arguments with himself on the boards.  For those of us in the know, that would be hilarious.
#non-belief denialist

Offline ducky

• Well Established
Administrative Warning  BOW BEFORE ME, FOR I AM ROOT!

Offline ducky

• Well Established
Administrative Warning It appears that the mod I used is not permission specific.  Therefore, anyone who uses the Moderator tag who is not a moderator will be suspended from the forum for a week.

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
Your Drill Instructor DROP AND GIVE ME TWENTY!
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
LOL...That shit is funny.

So does this mean that I will have to pay attention when you tell me to stop posting my clevage because you are gay and don't appreciate it's beauty??  :P  :P

EDIT:  Oh shit...I thought this was the explicit thread with the pupr demands.  Do I get a mod box now?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 06:55:42 PM by Karyn »

personate-rain
personate-rain