Author Topic: That's cool! How do you do that format?  (Read 3944 times)

Offline Hubbub

• Needs to chill out.
  • Frequent Poster
That's cool! How do you do that format?
« on: August 05, 2008, 06:33:23 PM »
I can't quote it because it's on a locked thread... but how do you get the cool text outline here?  Or is this something that only a mod can do when locking a topic?

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: That's cool! How do you do that format?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 06:47:43 PM »
I think the best way to answer this is to request that you go back and read that whole thread.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Bob C

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 07:02:02 PM »
YOU BREAK THE RULES.

Seriously, it's pretty gay that admin get cool shit and we don't.

I'm telling Steve.

Offline Hubbub

• Needs to chill out.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 07:05:39 PM »
And to think, I could be using all those cool formats in my mafia game! LAME!

Offline ducky

• Well Established
    • http://skepticwiki.org
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 07:06:30 PM »
I can't quote it because it's on a locked thread... but how do you get the cool text outline here?  Or is this something that only a mod can do when locking a topic?

Only a mod can do that period.  If you check the rules thread rebecca posted in this section, it now includes a rule against non-moderators using the modbreak function.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 07:27:42 PM »
it be cool if there were a similar one, perhaps with a different color, for the mafia games??  I mean only if it's a minimum amount of effort on your part.

Offline ducky

• Well Established
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 07:44:26 PM »
it be cool if there were a similar one, perhaps with a different color, for the mafia games??  I mean only if it's a minimum amount of effort on your part.

I could throw another one together later this week.  That would be good.  Perhaps make it purple or blue?

Offline thefellswooper

• One of the wittiest statisticians on the forum.
  • Frequent Poster
  • Statist
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 08:18:17 PM »
Ducky, you (or Beleth) locked the thread after I mentioned I thought the modbreak-for-mods-only-or-face-suspension was not such a great idea.  You seemed to indicate that the only possible alternative was to programmatically prevent non-admins from using modbreak, and that this was nontrivial. 

I disagree, I think a perfectly reasonable alternative is just not to suspend non-admins for using it, or find another way to make ex officio announcements.  I mean, really, what's the big deal?  Admins are admins, and if a non-admin uses a mod-box it will carry  as much weight as if a non-admin posted

I'M AN ADMIN NOW.  FOLLOW MY FASCISTIC GRAMMAR PREFERENCES OR GTFO

I know you're having a very rough admin day, and I don't want to pile on.  But I fear in the backlash of some members taking things too seriously, things are being taken too seriously on the admin end too.  For instance, I'm also a little confused by the locking of a couple threads today.  Certainly locking threads has been possible before, but I don't remember a mod ever previously using it to curtail discussion, and I don't really understand why it's necessary now.

Maybe just something to think about over the next few days.
"What I tell you three times is true."
-Lewis Carroll, The Hunting of the Snark

Offline ducky

• Well Established
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 08:24:26 PM »
Ducky, you (or Beleth) locked the thread after I mentioned I thought the modbreak-for-mods-only-or-face-suspension was not such a great idea.  You seemed to indicate that the only possible alternative was to programmatically prevent non-admins from using modbreak, and that this was nontrivial. 

I disagree, I think a perfectly reasonable alternative is just not to suspend non-admins for using it, or find another way to make ex officio announcements.  I mean, really, what's the big deal?  Admins are admins, and if a non-admin uses a mod-box it will carry  as much weight as if a non-admin posted

I know you're having a very rough admin day, and I don't want to pile on.  But I fear in the backlash of some members taking things too seriously, things are being taken too seriously on the admin end too.  For instance, I'm also a little confused by the locking of a couple threads today.  Certainly locking threads has been possible before, but I don't remember a mod ever previously using it to curtail discussion, and I don't really understand why it's necessary now.

It was locked because the matter is under discussion among the admins.  That thread specifically is locked, but you are free to start your own.

PS:  Any user has the ability to lock threads they start, btw.  That's not limited to administrators.

Offline thefellswooper

• Frequent Poster
  • Statist
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 08:42:02 PM »

It was locked because the matter is under discussion among the admins.  That thread specifically is locked, but you are free to start your own.

PS:  Any user has the ability to lock threads they start, btw.  That's not limited to administrators.

I was also referring to the Karma thread, but it's not something anyone should lose any sleep over.  Let me add that I appreciate your hard work in modding the forum, even if you are a not-so-secret member of the NAZI party.  Thanks.

Offline ducky

• Well Established
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 08:47:14 PM »

I was also referring to the Karma thread, but it's not something anyone should lose any sleep over.  Let me add that I appreciate your hard work in modding the forum, even if you are a not-so-secret member of the NAZI party.  Thanks.

I haven't had the chance to talk to Beleth about that however it was a logical end to the discussion, as karma was voted off the island in the poll thread (which is still open.)  If Beleth and I talk about it and see fit to reopen it, it will be.

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 08:49:26 PM »
It had turned unreasonably heated, and the majority of the parties involved needed some cooling-off time IMO.

If there is value in unlocking it again, then we will.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline thefellswooper

• Frequent Poster
  • Statist
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 08:55:19 PM »
It had turned unreasonably heated, and the majority of the parties involved needed some cooling-off time IMO.

See, that's exactly what I was afraid of.  Certainly someone (ok, me) called someone a name (oh woe!), but by and large the conversation was actually moving along and resolving itself, and was a very active topic when it was suddenly locked.  "Unreasonably heated" is ExSpiritual telling someone to rape herself to death, imo, not mildly insult-laden dialog about marginalization and politicized discourse.  This is the kind of mod interference that I really have a strong distaste for.

Meh, what's value?

Offline carrotflowers

• Frequent Poster
  • skepti-feboist
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 08:59:31 PM »

I wondered about this myself. It not only prevented queequeg from responding to my last post (if he wanted to), it prevented my post to claim victory over said thread :P

In seriousness, I don't understand this idea that it got heated and we needed to cool off. I have seen much worse all over the place since I've joined. I didn't see the heated discussion as unusually heated or unusually impolite. I was a little disturbed when it was locked, I'd never seen such a thing. However if the contention was that it got way OT and should be split and moved, well yes, true dat.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 09:01:30 PM by carrotflowers »
on last.fm & librarything | I loathe you

Offline ducky

• Well Established
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 09:03:48 PM »

I wondered about this myself. It not only prevented queequeg from responding to my last post (if he wanted to), it prevented my post to claim victory over said thread :P

In seriousness, I don't understand this idea that it got heated and we needed to cool off. I have seen much worse all over the place since I've joined. I didn't see the heated discussion as unusually heated or unusually impolite. I was a little disturbed when it was locked, I'd never seen such a thing. However if the contention was that it got way OT and should be split and moved, well yes, true dat.

Given the PMs I received today (which were many) and the general tone of abuse from them, I'd say admins responding to a thread that was off topic and appeared to be heated isn't unreasonable.  We're only human.  What was unusual about today wasn't that people were insulting each other or heated, it was the mass of PMs sent to myself (and possibly Beleth, I haven't asked him) that were abusive and full of vitriol.  And yes, I realize not everyone in that thread sent such a PM.

personate-rain
personate-rain