4 (10.5%)
Yes, but no time behind bars.
3 (7.9%)
Yes, and I've done time.
2 (5.3%)
Just traffic tickets.
10 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: The Twitter Thread--A Thread of Great Consequence  (Read 250742 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: The Twitter Thread--A Thread of Great Consequence
« Reply #7605 on: June 09, 2017, 02:19:27 PM »
Anyone else see the story about Horsy McHorseface winning a horse race?

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #7606 on: June 09, 2017, 04:10:52 PM »
The only people worse at writing than engineers are contractors/builders.

"The size of this opening causes structural issues because of the size." 

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #7607 on: June 09, 2017, 07:18:21 PM »
Anyone else see the story about Horsy McHorseface winning a horse race?

1 1 was a racehorse
2 2 was 1 2
1 1 1 1 race
2 2 1 1 2

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #7608 on: June 09, 2017, 11:06:16 PM »
I like to imagine MetService is a giant campus with pool tables and basketball courts and tennis courts and arcade games, and one room with one of these sitting on a table

Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #7609 on: June 12, 2017, 01:55:36 PM »
So, I saw a thing on facebook about the backlash to the new Black Panther movie poster.  I strongly suggest this is one of those things where the backlash to the backlash is going to be more prominent than the original backlash was.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7610 on: June 12, 2017, 11:31:06 PM »
My Good Nature self setting trap  just killed a rat in the ceiling. 
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #7611 on: June 13, 2017, 01:56:36 AM »
So, I saw a thing on facebook about the backlash to the new Black Panther movie poster.  I strongly suggest this is one of those things where the backlash to the backlash is going to be more prominent than the original backlash was.

like the wonder woman thing?
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #7612 on: June 16, 2017, 04:50:01 PM »

I'd like to think this is a progressive social stand, but I truly think it's just marketing.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #7613 on: June 16, 2017, 07:47:55 PM »

I'd like to think this is a progressive social stand, but I truly think it's just marketing.
It's both.

There is an opportunity in marketing yourself as being concerned with social justice issues. It has been that way for a long time in the rest of the world - America is starting to get to the point where the liberal social justice market is bigger than the conservative market.

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #7614 on: June 16, 2017, 07:54:55 PM »

Are you kidding? MacDonalds doesn't care about your social stance. They just want you to buy their soylent green.

http://healthycures.org/hamburger-chef-jamie-oliver-proves-mcdonalds-burgers-unfit-for-human-consumption
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #7615 on: June 16, 2017, 08:03:42 PM »
It's both.

There is an opportunity in marketing yourself as being concerned with social justice issues.

OK, but they're only selling these in markets where they know they'll be mostly well-received anyway; so they're not sticking it in the face of... Indiana eg.  But it is making national news and they don't seem concerned about the threatened boycotts so I applaud them for that.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #7616 on: June 16, 2017, 08:13:04 PM »

Are you kidding? MacDonalds doesn't care about your social stance. They just want you to buy their soylent green.
And they get you to buy their product because they position themselves in your market. They could obviously just be opportunistically faking it and have no ideological position at all, but such strategies tend not to last very long before they are outed as dishonest. It is better for a company to actually adopt an ideological stance that is shared by their target market.

Speaking of ideology...

http://healthycures.org/hamburger-chef-jamie-oliver-proves-mcdonalds-burgers-unfit-for-human-consumption
I'm not even going to talk about the ideology-driven marketing machine that is the Jamie Oliver Corporation. Let's just say instead that they are also positioning themselves into a certain market.

It is with a sense of some embarrassment that I admit to owning a Jamie Oliver product. In my defence it was genuinely the cheapest knife sharpener on the shelf at the time, and I needed one.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #7617 on: June 19, 2017, 10:52:31 AM »
Even though it is just marketing its a great sign.  That's much better than a brave progressive stand.  When the cowards are on your side it means you're winning. 

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #7618 on: June 20, 2017, 02:48:33 AM »
::sigh::

when you watch the 6pm news in 2017 and a journalist says 'scientists used to think...' and then describe something that Mythbusters already taught me about (in this instance, that sneeze particles can travel 'more than a meter or two')

personate-rain