Author Topic: So what do we all look like?  (Read 682915 times)

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: So what do we all look like?
« Reply #7695 on: August 05, 2019, 10:58:49 PM »
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #7696 on: August 06, 2019, 08:09:06 AM »
You did it!

Where's your paddle?

Daniel is borrowing mine, to get back down from Mt. Everest.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #7697 on: August 06, 2019, 11:19:34 AM »
You did it!

Where's your paddle?

It's lying on the snow behind me. Didn't get it in the picture. But here's a separate picture of my paddle, taken a while ago It's a bit more roughed-up from use now. Custom made, BTW. The store-bought ones are lighter, and some are carbon fiber and extremely light, and racers seem to prefer those. But I like mine, both for its character and its heft. Changing sides with a carbon-fiber paddle is like trying to throw a sheet of paper from one hand to the other.

For racing, the rules prohibit all-carbon-fiber paddles. They must have either a wood handle (this is what most racers use) or a wooden blade or both. The blade or the handle can be carbon fiber, but not both. But you can buy paddles that are all carbon fiber. You just cannot use them in a sanctioned race.

I don't race.

Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7698 on: August 07, 2019, 03:08:14 AM »
I actually know a few Kiwi Guides that have taken people to the top of the world and are keen (white water and sea kayak) paddlers.  You might not have been the first.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #7699 on: August 07, 2019, 10:51:09 AM »
I actually know a few Kiwi Guides that have taken people to the top of the world and are keen (white water and sea kayak) paddlers.  You might not have been the first.

Maybe not, but I'm the first to have a fake photo claiming to be the first.  ;D  Actually, a fake photo should include a fake claim!
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #7700 on: August 07, 2019, 12:08:36 PM »

Maybe not, but I'm the first to have a fake photo claiming to be the first.  ;D  Actually, a fake photo should include a fake claim!

Nicely done!  Also, that paddle is beautiful.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #7701 on: August 07, 2019, 04:48:39 PM »

Nicely done!  Also, that paddle is beautiful.

Yes, it is. Thank you. Though it's a bit more beat up now than when I took the picture. :)
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain