Author Topic: Hosting Company  (Read 3651 times)

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
Hosting Company
« on: August 06, 2008, 10:40:01 AM »
I am looking for a new hosting company.  Does anyone have any suggestions? We will need to be on a windows based platform that can support .net.  We also use wordpress, SQL server and want good support.  Help me out guys  ???
I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. - Ford Prefect  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Offline Bob C

• Well Established
Re: Hosting Company
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 11:15:34 AM »
Out of interest, what's the main reason for using .NET? Is that your main forte, or is there existing code that needs to be supported?

Not that I have a problem with Windows programming (except for minimal experience), but I generally think open source projects are more user-friendly, and there would be more people who could contribute (like me).

Also, this forum is PHP-based, so... what i'm saying is, yes, you should revolve your entire website around the forum.  ;D Also, hosts that can support PHP and ASP are less common, but if you don't find one, i'm sure there are some decent ASP-based forums available.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 11:17:08 AM by Bob? »

Offline diabhal

• wooloohoo
  • Well Established
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 06:32:10 PM »
I've heard good things from my friends and colleagues that use Go Daddy hosting, especially regarding available options and quality of support. They have an option for a Windows-based web server.

Their help center states that you can enable ASP.NET 3.5 on your new Windows hosting account during or after account set up. Currently, only new Windows hosting accounts using IIS 7 can run ASP.NET 3.5.

They also provide information on connecting to a SQL Server Database Using ASP.NET 3.5. If I remember correctly, Go Daddy also supports the use of WordPress.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 06:41:10 PM »
I really didn't like go daddy.  I ended up moving to IxWebhosting and loved them.  They're pretty good.

http://www.ixwebhosting.com/
#non-belief denialist

Offline diabhal

• wooloohoo
  • Well Established
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 08:52:04 PM »
I really didn't like go daddy.

What didn't you like about it?

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 08:56:03 PM »
I really didn't like go daddy.

What didn't you like about it?

Their service was slow.  The board I ran was very small and it was EXTREMELY slow when more than about 4 people got on it.  I even had their premium service.

They didn't do a good job of balancing the loads on their various virtual machines.  I think I was on one with a very high load and they refused to move it and continually claimed that 'nothing was wrong'

Additionally, they are not a good value proposition.  Others will do the same thing, faster and cheaper.
#non-belief denialist

Offline skepticouple

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 10:20:53 PM »
We run multiple businesses and our online hosting is very important to our operations and have found that hostgator to be reasonable as long as you don't require much support.

We purchased a resellers account and found it to be very versatile and reliable when setting up multiple domains.

Offline philipnorton42

• Brand New
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 08:52:56 AM »
Doesn't Wordpress require MySQL as a database platform?  I have done some research on this in the past and not found anything that would allow wordpress to run on a MSSQL server.

Also, in my experience, PHP (and therefore Wordpress) works way better on an Apache server (or similar like lighthttpd).  A lot more powerful results can be had in terms of SEO when you turn on the permalinks in wordpress, so instead of having a url like this:
www.example.com/?p=3

You get this:
www.example.com/the-post-subject-3.html

This requires an Apache server with mod_rewrite turned on.

However, I do have a bit of code lying about for the ASAPI filter to make permalinks work with Worpress in an IIS box.

personate-rain
personate-rain