Author Topic: locking of threads  (Read 12785 times)

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: locking of threads
« Reply #195 on: September 05, 2008, 01:05:35 PM »
Just two hopefully-parting comments from me:

First, carrotflower's classifying jamestate's question as "ridiculous" is a classic example of the cognitive dissonance I mentioned before between the way she wants an ideal forum to be run and the way she knows a realistic forum must be run.  She says she doesn't mind moderation, but then she objects when moderation actually happens.  An easy way to resolve this dissonance is to demonize the moderator, of course.  She says she is not waging a war on me, yet she started this thread in General Discussion instead of Forum Administration so that she would have a bigger audience... and she is still railing against me after all this time even though I have reversed every moderator action she has objected to.  I think her actions speak louder than her words do.

Second, this is all happening after the party has already ended.  Rebecca's on the case now, and there will be changes made, and five'll get you ten that the changes will be for tighter moderation instead of less.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline carrotflowers

• Frequent Poster
  • skepti-feboist
« Reply #196 on: September 05, 2008, 10:57:22 PM »
Beleth, since I objected to one locked thread (almost a month ago), I have not actually posted on the subject of moderation, until way late in Ex's mf thread.  As for starting this thread, ducky told me I could start a different thread, he was locking up where we had been talking. I put it in Gen Disc because you said you were using the community's standards to decide to lock threads, so I figured the community should be invited to chime in about those standards. Also, Forum Admin is unfortunately a neglected sub-forum here, so I suspected few people would even notice it there. In fact, here is where I told ducky that I was moving it:

I think it's a good idea to put it in General Discussion. Here is the link. http://skepchick.org/skepticsguide/index.php/topic,12870.0.html

Please know that I am not trying to heap more shit on you as mods and I know it's been heated all over the place lately. I honestly don't think it's in the best interests to employ a tactic such as this, and this is why I think there should be more input on it & am starting the thread. I value the tolerance and lack of moderating of language in this forum, and that is where I am coming from.

I don't think I sound like I have it in for you there.

In the meantime, I understand some bans happened, and games got moved, and other moderation, none of which I complained about. I really hope my actions speak clearly, because anyone paying attention can see I haven't objected "when moderation actually happens."

Some people are chiming in about Rebecca banning mattz even though they are not mattz or Rebecca, and about closing explicit, even if they are not regular explicit goers, and why shouldn't they? That's what makes jamestate's question ridiculous.

I wish that you, and probably some other people, didn't seem to truly believe I have been actively 'demonizing' you or something.
on last.fm & librarything | I loathe you

Offline ourpasture

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • glare in the smile, wide are the eyes
« Reply #197 on: September 07, 2008, 12:01:59 PM »
this is entertaining
i don't want your heaven.  i want mine.

personate-rain
personate-rain