Author Topic: Why didn't they become famous?  (Read 8129 times)

Offline Evil Eye

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • THINK!
Why didn't they become famous?
« on: August 17, 2008, 09:04:35 PM »
My best friend Jerry has been playing, recording, mixing, and producing since the late 80's and he still never made it.

How can someone that made music like This not get any recognition?

Not only did he play all the instruments (except programming drums), but wrote it and recorded & mixed it himself.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 09:06:22 PM by Evil Eye »
"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.

Offline nocturnous

• Time Lord
  • Well Established
Re: Why didn't they become famous?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 12:07:27 AM »
Mediocre guitar playing .bad tone, boring drums and rhythms come to mind as some reasons.

Offline Evil Eye

• THINK!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 01:52:30 PM »
Mediocre guitar playing .bad tone, boring drums and rhythms come to mind as some reasons.

That's only one of over 30 songs he has.

Sorry it wasnt up to your par.

Offline MikeSmith

• Frequent Poster
    • My Strange New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 02:23:28 PM »
How can someone that made music like This not get any recognition?

Where to begin?

True, it should have gotten some recognition of fans of early-'90s Aerosmith, but...

It's just not that exciting.  It sounds like weight-room music, heavily influenced by '80s hair metal, Steve Vai-style scales-and-progressions rock, and, the Van Halen's most indulgent  bridges.

And sure, the guy has recorded over 30 other songs over the last decade, but this one was initially chosen as the best example of how hard he rocked.

Maybe what he needs is a great lyricist and vocalist, a talented multi-instrumentalist who can add something new to his sound, and a producer who can do something fresh with his tone and arrangements.
2012  <---Google Bomb it!

www.mystrangenewmexico.com

Offline Evil Eye

• THINK!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 02:33:42 PM »
Actually in many of his songs you'll hear more of a Ministry type sound. He does several styles.

I chose that song because it's what I liked. I'm 40, and the late 80's early 90's type music is what I listened to. (He's also 40 now)

Anyway... I just used him as an example to the question. I was hoping at least some of us knew someone who was good enough or better than some of the acts that did make it.

I like hearing music that you don't hear 15 times a day on the radio.

I never would have heard of Kineto if it weren't for this podcast.

Offline Sandwich

• Seasoned Contributor
  • I only wanted one front tooth for Christmas.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 02:41:27 PM »
How do you define "making it?"

Any time I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 02:55:17 PM »
I'm not particularly turned on by the track you linked, but that's really inconsequential.

The bottom line is that the public is fickle, and there's a lot more to being a successful musician than being talented. Come to NY some time....I hear people playing on subway platforms that are incredibly talented (also some that are shit, but that's beside the point). Go to your average bar in NYC and you'll probably hear a singer/songwriter that's way better than the Britney Spears of the world. Things just haven't panned out for them. I think being in the right place at the right time, and (of course) who you know, are bigger factors for success. Then again, that's just to get your chance...even then, you have to compete and find an audience. Look at The Dave Clark Five, they simply had the bad luck to come up against The Beatles...que sera sera.

It's just like regular jobs. Do you think people making millions as traders and brokers and lawyers and CEOs are doing so because they have some skill that no one else does? Maybe partly, but not entirely. So much in life is getting a lucky break or knowing the right people. Some get by on sheer hard work, but it's not a guarantee.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 02:56:50 PM by MisterMarc »

Offline nocturnous

• Time Lord
  • Well Established
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 03:15:57 PM »

That's only one of over 30 songs he has.

Sorry it wasnt up to your par.
Clearly it didn't live up to many peoples "pars", and I couldn't disagree more about the 80s comment, and here are some reasons why.

Nuno bettencourt
Steve Vai
Paul Gilbert
Jason Becker
Shawn Lane
Marty Friedman
John Sykes
Joe Satriani
Yngwie Malmsteen
Van halen
Alex Skolnick
Randy rhoads
Michael Schenker
John Petrucci
Eric Johnson
Alex lifeson
George Lynch
Steve Morse
Jake E Lee

Offline Evil Eye

• THINK!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 03:50:53 PM »
There isn't one musician on there he couldn't play note for note with the same feeling. One that I wouldn't want to. Jake E. Lee is a miserble musician. Playing with your thumb is kinda neat, but he sucked IMHO.

The rest I agree with 100%

Offline johnny red

• Well Established
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 12:07:34 AM »
I'm not particularly turned on by the track you linked, but that's really inconsequential.

The bottom line is that the public is fickle, and there's a lot more to being a successful musician than being talented. Come to NY some time....I hear people playing on subway platforms that are incredibly talented (also some that are shit, but that's beside the point). Go to your average bar in NYC and you'll probably hear a singer/songwriter that's way better than the Britney Spears of the world. Things just haven't panned out for them. I think being in the right place at the right time, and (of course) who you know, are bigger factors for success. Then again, that's just to get your chance...even then, you have to compete and find an audience. Look at The Dave Clark Five, they simply had the bad luck to come up against The Beatles...que sera sera.

It's just like regular jobs. Do you think people making millions as traders and brokers and lawyers and CEOs are doing so because they have some skill that no one else does? Maybe partly, but not entirely. So much in life is getting a lucky break or knowing the right people. Some get by on sheer hard work, but it's not a guarantee.

I couldn't agree more.  Luck does play a part in why some people make it and others don't.  The sad thing is that today you don't even have to be musically talented to get a record deal you just have to be marketable especially to teenagers who have bad taste in music.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 01:10:55 AM »

I couldn't agree more.  Luck does play a part in why some people make it and others don't.  The sad thing is that today you don't even have to be musically talented to get a record deal you just have to be marketable especially to teenagers who have bad taste in music.

It's been like that since the 50's at least and probably earlier.  Look at all those 50's acts that were just 3 or four good looking girls or guys singing with a back up band.  The monkee's briefly outsold the beatles and only two of the four were actually musicians. 

The kids like a good beat they can dance to and a pretty face, they always have.  I'm sure we could all name a band or  musician that we think is the best thing since the beatles but we are probably wrong.

Offline johnny red

• Well Established
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 09:38:44 AM »

It's been like that since the 50's at least and probably earlier.  Look at all those 50's acts that were just 3 or four good looking girls or guys singing with a back up band.  The monkee's briefly outsold the beatles and only two of the four were actually musicians. 

The kids like a good beat they can dance to and a pretty face, they always have.  I'm sure we could all name a band or  musician that we think is the best thing since the beatles but we are probably wrong.

Radiohead and I am not wrong. :)

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 10:52:41 AM »

You are not wrong, but radiohead count as a success.

Offline johnny red

• Well Established
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 11:20:04 AM »

You are not wrong, but radiohead count as a success.

I read you post as any band we could think as being the best thing since the Beatles, successful or unsuccessful. 

Offline Evil Eye

• THINK!
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 01:41:11 PM »
I guess it's the luck of the draw, or "who ya know".

Even if you don't like my friend's music at all (if you listened to any other songs), he is, in my opinion better than 90% of the crap I hear on the radio, and why I listen to podcasts rather than current music.

The Beatles may have been all having fun, but they were TRUE musicians, actually composing music. Not just playing what they heard in their heads.

I doubt that half of the bands you hear on the radio today could transpose their own songs.