Author Topic: A skeptic symbol  (Read 9335 times)

Offline Eiskrystal

• Not Enough Spare Time
A skeptic symbol
« on: February 07, 2007, 06:42:56 AM »
I've noticed we don't seem to have a skeptic symbol. I propose the "tesseract" as a possibility.

don't have a soul. I have a brain

Offline plunge

• Off to a Start
A skeptic symbol
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 07:00:31 AM »
We need something a little more lighthearted methinks.

Offline a3maniac

• Happy birthday Goddess AKA a3maniac
  • Seasoned Contributor
A skeptic symbol
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 07:10:59 AM »
I am not a mathmatician and I personally dislike math (and physics - love the applications, though).

I don't know if the idea of a symbol is actually a good one, because we're not a single group. Skepticism, secular humanism, atheism, agnosticism... the are SO many groups out there, I don't think we fit into one classification.

Another bad reason for a symbol is for it to be identifiable with a cult or religion, which is definitely not the case.

So yeah, I don't like the idea.
Google is your friend.

Offline Eiskrystal

• Not Enough Spare Time
A skeptic symbol
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 07:28:40 AM »
Everyone else gets a symbol and they do very well out of it.

Mine's a damn sight more cheery than a dead guy on a cross.[/quote]

Offline Paul Ganssle

• Objective Hitler
  • Frequent Poster
A skeptic symbol
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 07:32:02 AM »
I think we should just use a beard as a symbol.  Think about it, Darwin had a beard, Randi has a beard, Dennett has a beard.  We should all grow beards (even Rebecca) and dye them white so that it would be obvious that our numbers are large and incredibly powerful (as a scientist, I know that there is a clear positive proportionality between beard strength and power).

But seriously, a tesseract is awesome, and I was thinking of getting one tattooed on myself, but I don't think that we need a symbol.  There's not exactly a strong iconodulist tradition among atheists.
quot;if you looat the world and think there is a God nothin make sense but if you see it fro a naturalistivc perspectiove all the shti goin on is exactly what youd expect-"  -The Always Eloquent Richard Dawkins

Offline wrotenbe

• Not Enough Spare Time
A skeptic symbol
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 07:47:31 AM »
I'd say a giant question mark, but then people might mistake us for The Riddler.
i]"A believer is a bird in a cage, a free-thinker is an eagle parting the clouds with tireless wings."[/i] - Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline SCriminal

• Well Established
A skeptic symbol
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 08:39:12 AM »
So how about the Riddler?
quot;I think it's a bunch of crystal-gripping hippy nonsense." Mythbuster Kari

Offline Eiskrystal

• Not Enough Spare Time
A skeptic symbol
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 08:54:28 AM »
Too gay (wrong minority)

I did think of multiple question marks, but when i put them together i ended up with something approaching a swastica. Bad idea.

Offline Dez

• Tonight we post... IN HELL!
A skeptic symbol
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »
Quote from: "Eiskrystal"
I did think of multiple question marks, but when i put them together i ended up with something approaching a swastica. Bad idea.

I don't think so. Looks more like a flower. I kinda like it.

EDIT:

VVV Ok lemme try a few more configs VVVV
"I am tired of all this sort of thing called science here... We have spent millions in that sort of thing for the last few years, and it is time it should be stopped."
Simon Cameron, U.S. Senator, 1901

Offline Eiskrystal

• Not Enough Spare Time
A skeptic symbol
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 09:14:19 AM »
The religious nuts will call us the Nazi-flower-people then. You could rotate it by 45 degrees. That should be enough to confuse them.

Offline Ole Eivind

• Frequent Poster
A skeptic symbol
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 09:35:22 AM »
Just to be pedantic; the nazi swastica is right-facing. Dez' questionmark-thing is left-facing. Obviously it won't be confused with anything other than hindu/buddhist symbols.

Offline Dez

A skeptic symbol
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 09:45:33 AM »
Quote from: "Ole Eivind"
Just to be pedantic; the nazi swastica is right-facing. Dez' questionmark-thing is left-facing. Obviously it won't be confused with anything other than hindu/buddhist symbols.

Which stands for peace. I'm still working on something though.

HERE:

EDIT: I have 1 or 2 more ideas for the flower. I'll post them if anyone is interested.
"I am tired of all this sort of thing called science here... We have spent millions in that sort of thing for the last few years, and it is time it should be stopped."

Offline Eiskrystal

• Not Enough Spare Time
A skeptic symbol
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 09:59:41 AM »
It's growing on me actually (excuse the pun) but not everyone will want a flower. Can we have something similar but less..erm...flowery do you think?

I see no reason not to have a general symbol theme of the 4 question marks and then people can choose different versions that suit them. That way everyone is happy. We get a general symbol whilst still being individuals.

Offline Dez

A skeptic symbol
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 10:07:36 AM »
Quote from: "Eiskrystal"
I see no reason not to have a general symbol theme of the 4 question marks and then people can choose different versions that suit them. That way everyone is happy. We get a general symbol whilst still being individuals.

That gave me a cool idea! I hope my photoshop skills (or lack thereof) are up to to. I'll post it in a second.

EDIT: My skills are not up to par. But my idea was to make a stick-ish person made out of style-ized question marks that have been morphed and stretched. I am very tired, though. Maybe I'll give it another shot after I wake up.

Offline Noah R. Miller

• Frequent Poster
    • http://NRMILLER.COM
A skeptic symbol
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »
Quote from: "SCriminal"
So how about the Riddler?

HEY! That's Frank Gorshin your messing with.
quot;There's only one thing that you can do to get away with the most extrodinary offenses, to morality and truth, just get yourself called reverend."
-Christopher Hitchens

personate-rain