Author Topic: A skeptic symbol  (Read 9334 times)

Offline SCriminal

• Well Established
A skeptic symbol
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2007, 12:30:51 AM »
You guys, I have two good ideas.  But once again, I'm posting drunk, so they all seem pretty smart.  How about either of these:

Muthersmeggin' Pigasys.

Or Jack's Beanstalk.
quot;I think it's a bunch of crystal-gripping hippy nonsense." Mythbuster Kari

Offline The Thing

• Off to a Start
    • http://www.adaptovia.com
A skeptic symbol
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2007, 01:46:24 AM »
I've seen this one around.  It's pretty cool.

ww.adaptovia.com

Offline MJ

• Not Enough Spare Time
A skeptic symbol
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2007, 01:01:10 PM »
Sorry to resurrect a dead post, but along with the church signs post, there is an official seal generator.  I just thought this would be a quick way for people to make a seal without Paint or Adobe Photoshop. So here's one I made and you can make your own here:

http://www.says-it.com/seal/index.php

quot;The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." -     John Adams "Treaty of Tripoly, article 11"

Offline Dez

• Tonight we post... IN HELL!
A skeptic symbol
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2007, 09:56:11 AM »
"I am tired of all this sort of thing called science here... We have spent millions in that sort of thing for the last few years, and it is time it should be stopped."
Simon Cameron, U.S. Senator, 1901

Offline Jonny_eh

• Well Established
  • I'm standing right behind you!
    • Ottawa Skeptics
A skeptic symbol
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2007, 11:27:02 AM »
Wow, do I suck at picking good colours!
Are you a skeptic in Ottawa, Canada?
Join here: http://www.ottawaskeptics.org/
Check out our podcast: The Reality Check (If you like the SGU, give it a try)
Follow me on twitter!

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
A skeptic symbol
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2007, 12:14:45 PM »
Lapel pin? :D

Offline Paul TheSkeptic

• Brand New
Re: A skeptic symbol
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2018, 10:24:27 PM »
This guy has a good suggestion for a skeptical symbol. A magnifying glass with a question mark inside. http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=304

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2018, 12:10:33 AM »
Holy zombified thread Batman!

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2018, 12:33:32 PM »
A thread necro'ed after 11 years is a museum piece. Right-on.

Offline Skeptic1001

• Banned
  • Off to a Start
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2018, 04:28:59 AM »
I've noticed we don't seem to have a skeptic symbol. I propose the "tesseract" as a possibility.

That design is pleasing in a technical way. Representing skepticism with intricate three dimensional symbols seems charming but then once again would skeptics really want symbolism superimposed over them? Symbolism is subject to interpretation and skepticism is about clarity and specifics and thorough understanding.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 04:36:38 AM by Skeptic1001 »

Offline TheOnlyMerlin

• Brand New
  • Benevolence and truth
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2018, 03:22:30 AM »
A symbol is more or less useful as a convenient way to reference a group or concept. I think a symbol might actually be useful from a pragmatic marketing perspective.

I thought I would provide some very high level thoughts that can hopefully be whittled down to something concrete.

To start off, I am assuming we are referring to scientific skepticism, as compared to philosophical skepticism or the general term of skepticism. (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeptical_movement)

Some ideas:
  • It should be simple. Ideally you should be able to readily draw it. Really good examples of extreme forms of this can be found in Christianity: the cross, and the Jesus fish symbol. This extreme simplicity may have been a significant boost to the spread of early Christianity.
  • It should have a story - The US Flag has a simple story behind its design, but without the history you would have a hard time guessing. But you can very quickly catch someone up to date on some defining points of American history via its design. Stories are powerful. The stories must be short and simple.
  • It should be eternal. Not literally, of course. But it should represent something a person we would consider a "skeptic" could come back to in 2,000 years and still find fitting.
  • It should be representative of the most essential elements of skepticism. Matching with the "eternal" target, it ideally should represent ends, rather than means. Even if the means of skepticism change, the goals will probably remain.
  • Ideally it should even be for all time. Not only eternal going forward, but going backwards. If you had a symbol that could have also been fitting for skeptically minded people across the world and across thousands of years of history, that can help provide a sense of history, depth, and unity across time and space.

Questions
  • What are the defining characteristics of skepticism? Some things I would associate with skepticism:
    • Truth-seeking / lie-finding
    • Doubt
    • Reasoning, logic
    • science, evidence, scientific method
    • Humility (knowing human limits, neurological humility, humility before the truth)
    • Transparency / vulnerability (logic, evidence, and reason aren't things to be hidden, also deceptions will be laid bare, all hypothesis are vulnerable to counter-evidence, etc)
  • How can those characteristics be visually expressed abstractly?
  • Are there any important historical events that are iconic to skepticism? Preferably from long ago.
  • Are there any existing symbols closely associated with skepticism or nearby concepts?  This might be helpful to reference.

Ok, that's enough from me. It's time for sleep.
"Should" is always a matter of priorities and realities.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2018, 02:23:22 PM »
I propose this.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2018, 06:17:20 PM »
I agree that we should keep it simple. Maybe even a little ambiguous, because skepticism is a process, not a value system. Or make it something broad that different people can focus more on the parts they like while still being part of the whole.

Something sleek and sexy that symbolizes science and skepticism, how we shouldn't simply surmise and suppose, but that we need to be serious and suspicious. Not assume that what we see and sense as simians is synonymous with reality, it is but a starting point. To be substantial and score a sound state, we need to be systematic and sincere. We may scare, we may spoil, sentiments may sour. We may seem silly to some. Still, they have our sympathies. Lacking souls but not sentience, slow and steady or soaring and swooping in, our desire is to save them from the pseudo, and share in the wonder of exploring what is really real.

To that end:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 06:36:26 PM by 2397 »

personate-rain