Author Topic: Opening Arguments #TTTBE  (Read 43485 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Arguments #TTTBE
« Reply #885 on: March 29, 2020, 11:51:19 AM »

Spoiler

If the contract had said as soon as it's ripe, then yes. But it just said when it's ripe, and that could mean anytime after it's first ripe and before it goes to seed.
[close]

Emphasis mine. "Going to seed" is what you want the wheat crop to do, since it's the seeds that you harvest. You cannot harvest the wheat before it goes to seed, unless you're just harvesting the grass (wheat is a grass) for hay. I've never heard of anyone harvesting wheat for hay.

Not exactly. When a crop has gone to seed that means the grains are dropping from the plant to be seeds.

Nope. That's not what it means. Some plants are harvested for their leaves or stalks, which are not usable or are not desirable after the plant begins to produce seeds. Going to seed means that the plant has begun that process.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline CarbShark

• "I ain't no doctor with degrees" - Think
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: March 29, 2020, 12:02:01 PM »

Spoiler

If the contract had said as soon as it's ripe, then yes. But it just said when it's ripe, and that could mean anytime after it's first ripe and before it goes to seed.
[close]

Emphasis mine. "Going to seed" is what you want the wheat crop to do, since it's the seeds that you harvest. You cannot harvest the wheat before it goes to seed, unless you're just harvesting the grass (wheat is a grass) for hay. I've never heard of anyone harvesting wheat for hay.

Not exactly. When a crop has gone to seed that means the grains are dropping from the plant to be seeds.

Nope. That's not what it means. Some plants are harvested for their leaves or stalks, which are not usable or are not desirable after the plant begins to produce seeds. Going to seed means that the plant has begun that process.
First definition from google: ”gone to seed" refers to the stage in gardening in which the flowers are not blooming and the leaves have fallen off the trees, like during the winter.”

In Colorado where I worked on farms and ranches, gone to seed meant the crop had stood too long. Seeds were literally falling to the ground.

But, even if the term gone to seed isn’t correct for North Dakota wheat, the point is to harvest while it is still harvestable. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
... and Donald Trump is president of the United States

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: March 29, 2020, 12:13:47 PM »
My understanding of "gone to seed" is that it refers to the period when the plant switches from leaf and flower production to the production of seeds.  For some non-grain crops, that means that it is past time to harvest (once certain herbs go to seed, the weed is useless); for grain crops, though, that means that it will soon be time to harvest. I do not think that for grain crops "go to seed" means be past the time of harvest. At least that was my experience growing up in Vermont.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 12:16:52 PM by The Latinist »
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline CarbShark

• View Profile
« Reply #888 on: March 29, 2020, 06:37:18 PM »
My understanding of "gone to seed" is that it refers to the period when the plant switches from leaf and flower production to the production of seeds.  For some non-grain crops, that means that it is past time to harvest (once certain herbs go to seed, the weed is useless); for grain crops, though, that means that it will soon be time to harvest. I do not think that for grain crops "go to seed" means be past the time of harvest. At least that was my experience growing up in Vermont.

Fair enough. I didn't think that was a technical term, but rather a general description of when something has gone beyond the point of being harvestable.

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: March 29, 2020, 09:25:59 PM »
I wish we could let small miss steps go on this BB.

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: March 29, 2020, 09:26:34 PM »
Answer to #171

Spoiler
[close]

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: March 29, 2020, 09:28:06 PM »

Fair enough. I didn't think that was a technical term, but rather a general description of when something has gone beyond the point of being harvestable.

Nope. It means that the plant has started to produce seeds, which renders some plants undesirable. The expression "gone to seed" is not used for crops where the seeds are what's harvested. In those crops you's say that it's starting to produce. And after that, ripening. And finally ripe.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline CarbShark

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: March 29, 2020, 09:40:29 PM »

Nope. It means that the plant has started to produce seeds, which renders some plants undesirable. The expression "gone to seed" is not used for crops where the seeds are what's harvested. In those crops you's say that it's starting to produce. And after that, ripening. And finally ripe.
Ok post a link to a definition and We can move on. Actually we can move on anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CarbShark

• View Profile
Opening Arguments #TTTBE
« Reply #893 on: March 29, 2020, 09:42:26 PM »
Sometimes I wish I could

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: March 30, 2020, 07:10:12 AM »
Sometimes I wish I could
I understand