Author Topic: Skeptoid  (Read 19940 times)

Online Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
Re: Skeptoid
« Reply #315 on: July 19, 2017, 08:22:17 PM »
I avoid other libertarian podcasts for the same reason.

So libertarians are unethical then?

Not necessarily, but I find it to be a common thread that runs through the ideology.

Which ideologies are free from such unethical threads?
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline John Albert

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #316 on: July 19, 2017, 08:44:46 PM »

Not necessarily, but I find it to be a common thread that runs through the ideology.

Good question.

But libertarianism in particular tends to assert the importance of personal judgment over the consensus of the majority. It offers specious arguments about government inefficiency to justify the nullification of laws, regulations, official authorizations, and other assurances that have been put into place to protect the populace from harmful fraud and incompetence. At the same time, libertarians invoke the "free market" and the admonition caveat emptor as excuses to charge the individual consumer with responsibility for their own victimization. Then they turn around and shit on the idea of government aid, on the disingenuous pretense that the burden of overtaxation is the only thing preventing the private sector from heroically intervening on behalf of the underprivileged. I hear these kinds of arguments often in libertarian circles, and I find them all reprehensible.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:48:53 PM by John Albert »

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #317 on: July 19, 2017, 09:05:03 PM »
I've listened to almost every episode of Skeptoid there is, and I don't recall a great deal of libertarian ideology. I saw more politics when I went to see Penn & Teller that one time than I ever have listening to Skeptoid.

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #318 on: July 19, 2017, 09:13:23 PM »
I've listened to almost every episode of Skeptoid there is, and I don't recall a great deal of libertarian ideology.

Agreed.
"And what it all boils down to is that no one's really got it figured out just yet" - Alanis Morisette
• • •
"I doubt that!" - James Randi

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #319 on: July 19, 2017, 09:22:41 PM »
I've listened to almost every episode of Skeptoid there is, and I don't recall a great deal of libertarian ideology.

Agreed.
I'm sure there's some there that could be dug up, but it's certainly not even remotely a focus of the show.

Online Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #320 on: July 19, 2017, 10:23:18 PM »

Good question.

But libertarianism in particular tends to assert the importance of personal judgment over the consensus of the majority. It offers specious arguments about government inefficiency to justify the nullification of laws, regulations, official authorizations, and other assurances that have been put into place to protect the populace from harmful fraud and incompetence. At the same time, libertarians invoke the "free market" and the admonition caveat emptor as excuses to charge the individual consumer with responsibility for their own victimization. Then they turn around and shit on the idea of government aid, on the disingenuous pretense that the burden of overtaxation is the only thing preventing the private sector from heroically intervening on behalf of the underprivileged. I hear these kinds of arguments often in libertarian circles, and I find them all reprehensible.

"Libertarianism" is such a broad category that you can pretty much construct whatever you want to argue against (I feel like there's a word for this...) in the fashion that you just did.

My point is that you could do the same for any ideology--you're not making an effective argument that libertarianism is special or different in any meaningful way.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #321 on: July 20, 2017, 12:41:40 PM »

Agreed.
I'm sure there's some there that could be dug up, but it's certainly not even remotely a focus of the show.

I didn't mean to imply that it was the main focus of the show.  In fact, off the top of my head, this was the only time I really noticed it in the show.  I used to subscribe to Brian's newsletter and his old forum, where that type of discussion took place a little more commonly.   
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #322 on: July 20, 2017, 12:55:29 PM »
The DDT episode was certainly....tainted by his libertarian tendencies.  But I agree, it rarely comes up on the show, not much chance in most case. 

Offline John Albert

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #323 on: July 20, 2017, 10:33:38 PM »

Good question.

"Libertarianism" is such a broad category that you can pretty much construct whatever you want to argue against (I feel like there's a word for this...) in the fashion that you just did.

My point is that you could do the same for any ideology--you're not making an effective argument that libertarianism is special or different in any meaningful way.

I did not "construct" anything. I'm just citing some very specific, oft-repeated arguments that I've heard from prominent self-identified libertarians; some of whom are generally regarded as leaders in the movement.   

Are you really suggesting that because all ideologies are open to criticism, that makes criticizing them invalid? 

The DDT episode was certainly....tainted by his libertarian tendencies.  But I agree, it rarely comes up on the show, not much chance in most case.

Yeah it had never even occurred to me that Dunning is a libertarian until I heard about it in this thread. And now that it's been mentioned, it makes perfect sense in light of his legal troubles and some of the things he's said in the podcast.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 04:59:41 AM by John Albert »

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #324 on: July 21, 2017, 09:36:07 AM »
Yeah it had never even occurred to me that Dunning is a libertarian until I heard about it in this thread. And now that it's been mentioned, it makes perfect sense in light of his legal troubles and some of the things he's said in the podcast.
And yet he accepted the rule of law, and did his time as required by the court. So maybe small-l libertarian. Or maybe his political beliefs are just a little more complicated than that...

personate-rain