Author Topic: Which podcasts are we listening to?  (Read 128435 times)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: Which podcasts are we listening to?
« Reply #1320 on: March 29, 2017, 07:56:20 PM »
Anyone like the stuff at Duckfeed.tv?

They have a really good REM retrospective going on right now called File Under Water.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #1321 on: March 30, 2017, 04:58:14 AM »
Any good podcasts where it's just stand-up comedy?

nope.
most comedians use podcasts as a way to promote their shows. to just broadcast all their material for free wouldn't really be something that would appeal to most.

but you can always download Comedy Central's Half Hour which is the newer version of Comedy Central Presents
Quote from: George William Foote
Priestcraft nourishes hope in the scientific laboratory, and feels only faint misgivings in academic halls; but it pales and withers at the smile of scepticism, and hears in a low laugh the note of the trump of doom."

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #1322 on: March 30, 2017, 12:15:29 PM »
Any good podcasts where it's just stand-up comedy?

nope.
most comedians use podcasts as a way to promote their shows. to just broadcast all their material for free wouldn't really be something that would appeal to most.

but you can always download Comedy Central's Half Hour which is the newer version of Comedy Central Presents

I think it would be a good thing for them to do. There are thousands of comedians, and maybe the podcast could spotlight 3 or 4 with 10 minute routines. That's a perfect way to promote themselves. Or maybe a 20 minute interview and a 10 min routine, so they're not giving away their entire act.

I'll check out Comedy Central's Half Hour.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #1323 on: March 30, 2017, 12:38:27 PM »
It's relatively easy for them to get their stuff into Pandora or Spotify or such, where they actually get paid. 

The only free stuff out there, in any quantity, is material that they straight-up sell to a 3rd party such as Comedy Central or Just for Laughs, who can then do whatever they want with it including give it away for free.

ETA there is also a new standup comedy streaming service called Laugh.ly but other than its existence, I don't really know anything about it.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #1324 on: March 31, 2017, 12:56:08 AM »
I think it would be a good thing for them to do. There are thousands of comedians, and maybe the podcast could spotlight 3 or 4 with 10 minute routines. That's a perfect way to promote themselves. Or maybe a 20 minute interview and a 10 min routine, so they're not giving away their entire act.

Jimmy Pardo has several times attempted to pitch a show where stand-ups do a little routine and then a panel of writers mock them and their jokes.
there's a few nice live bonus eps of his podcast with these shows, but furthest he got to it being a TV show was a Nerdist backed youtube project
Priestcraft nourishes hope in the scientific laboratory, and feels only faint misgivings in academic halls; but it pales and withers at the smile of scepticism, and hears in a low laugh the note of the trump of doom."

Online Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #1325 on: April 17, 2017, 01:56:39 PM »
I moved about 6 months ago, and now spend FAR more time in my car than I used to. Podcasts have gone from roadtrip fodder to a daily regimen. Current rotation:

Nerdist

How Did This Get Made? Best when you've seen the movie they're covering, but the panel is funny enough in their own right that I listen to all of them. One of the few shows that works just as well (if not better) live, as the panel is GREAT with crowd interaction.

Skeptoid

SGU

Myths and Legends <------ can NOT recommend this one enough, I'm tearing through all of the episodes, and it's SO good. Aural, lighthearted, "cliffs notes" versions of pretty much everything you can think of. He said he started the podcast imagining he'd be poking fun at all the silliness in these old stories (and he does), but he quickly gained respect and love for where these stories came from, and treats them as such.

I'll look forward with great interest to y'all's recommendations, as well as combing through all the pages of this thread I've somehow ignored for years...
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #1326 on: April 17, 2017, 02:03:51 PM »
Big fan of both of those podcasts.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1327 on: April 17, 2017, 02:04:05 PM »

Myths and Legends <------ can NOT recommend this one enough, I'm tearing through all of the episodes, and it's SO good. Aural, lighthearted, "cliffs notes" versions of pretty much everything you can think of. He said he started the podcast imagining he'd be poking fun at all the silliness in these old stories (and he does), but he quickly gained respect and love for where these stories came from, and treats them as such.

I'll look forward with great interest to y'all's recommendations, as well as combing through all the pages of this thread I've somehow ignored for years...

DAMMMMMMMMMMMIT.

I did not need more shit to listen to.  My ear was brown enuf.

Can I share Myths and Legends with my kids?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 02:06:54 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Online Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #1328 on: April 17, 2017, 02:13:44 PM »
DAMMMMMMMMMMMIT.

Then you're going to double dammit after hearing how good it is...

Yes, I think kid-friendly (violence is common, but never described graphically and no foul language)--with occasional caveats like "this episode contains some pretty dark themes, so I wouldn't play this one in front of your younger kids."
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1329 on: April 17, 2017, 02:18:21 PM »
DAMMMMMMMMMMMIT.

Then you're going to double dammit after hearing how good it is...

Yes, I think kid-friendly (violence is common, but never described graphically and no foul language)--with occasional caveats like "this episode contains some pretty dark themes, so I wouldn't play this one in front of your younger kids."

My younger one really likes getting creeped out by Dr. Who, so she can prolly handle it.  Cool beans!
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Offline st3class

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #1330 on: April 17, 2017, 02:36:17 PM »
My listening habits have changed a bit since my wife broke her leg. I've been working from home more and don't listen when she's around. As such, in order to keep up, I will now skip over anything that seems like it's going to be annoying (Cracked is a big offender there), or is a re-run (looking at you This American Life) Thought I'd update my list.

New additions:
Hands Free Football - Fun for following MLS soccer, even it is run by a couple of FlSounders fans
OPB Politics Now - Local and state level politics for Oregon
PodCacher - A Geocaching podcast, fun for the vicarious listen even if I don't get out all that often
Presidential - Finished now, but may be worth another listen at some point
The Greatest Generation - A Star Trek TNG podcast by two guys who are little embarrassed to have a Star Trek podcast. Makes me laugh

Still listen
Ask An Atheist
Common Sense
Hardcore History
FiveThirtyEight Politics (renamed from FiveThirtyEight Elections)
Geologic Podcast
Irreligiosophy
Judge John Hodgman
My History Can Beat Up Your Politics
Oh No, Ross and Carrie
OPB's Think Out Load - Really only listening to choice episodes until I get caught up again
Radio Vs the Martians!
Random Trek - Starting to teeter, the host annoys me and we're basically just rehashing the same old points at this point
Sawbones
Serial
Shmanners
Lexicon Valley
Supreme Podcast
Atheist Experience
Cracked
Podcast History of Our World
SGU
West Wing Weekly - Probably my favorite podcast right now
This American Life
What's The Point

Dropped
Ken Rudin's Political Junkie - I was raging at it too much post-election, and there are better places to get my podcasts
MonsterTalk - Episodes were too long, and only about half were interesting to me anymore
Lexicon Valley - Don't like the format under the current host as much, dropped
It's always more complicated than that.

Online Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #1331 on: April 17, 2017, 06:25:33 PM »
The Greatest Generation - A Star Trek TNG podcast by two guys who are little embarrassed to have a Star Trek podcast. Makes me laugh

Oh, that reminds me! Have you listened to Star Trek The Next Conversation?

Two guys talk about every ep of STtNG in order after watching it--one is a long-time Trekkie, the other is a nerd but has never seen the series.

I listened to the first two eps a while back and thought there was too much "being cute" between the two hosts and not enough content.... but I also understand it takes all podcasts a while to get going and keep meaning to revisit the podcast starting a few eps down the road. I LOVE STtNG, so I still have high hopes for it.

Offline st3class

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #1332 on: April 17, 2017, 06:45:56 PM »

Oh, that reminds me! Have you listened to Star Trek The Next Conversation?

Two guys talk about every ep of STtNG in order after watching it--one is a long-time Trekkie, the other is a nerd but has never seen the series.

I listened to the first two eps a while back and thought there was too much "being cute" between the two hosts and not enough content.... but I also understand it takes all podcasts a while to get going and keep meaning to revisit the podcast starting a few eps down the road. I LOVE STtNG, so I still have high hopes for it.

I have not heard of that. I'll have to check it out once my queue gets back down to a manageable size. Thanks for the recommendation
It's always more complicated than that.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1333 on: April 17, 2017, 06:46:47 PM »

2nded
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #1334 on: April 18, 2017, 07:28:11 AM »
Myths and Legends <------ can NOT recommend this one enough

I managed to find the RSS, but I STILL can't figure out how the hell to download their mp3s.

personate-rain
personate-rain