Author Topic: Which podcasts are we listening to?  (Read 128437 times)

Online Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
Re: Which podcasts are we listening to?
« Reply #1335 on: April 18, 2017, 01:14:32 PM »
Myths and Legends <------ can NOT recommend this one enough

I managed to find the RSS, but I STILL can't figure out how the hell to download their mp3s.

I had the same problem, initially (I listen via a USB in my car).

On the linked page there's a circle with dots in it next to the play button; there's your download option.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #1336 on: April 18, 2017, 06:07:22 PM »
Btw, does anyone else use itunes as a podcatcher?

It does this strange thing seemingly randomly where it will download every available episode of a podcast without me instructing me to. Most of the time itunes sits there behaving itself, then my bandwidth will dip as 300 episodes start downloading.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1337 on: April 18, 2017, 07:32:57 PM »
Anyone like the stuff at Duckfeed.tv?

They have a really good REM retrospective going on right now called File Under Water.

I'm listening now.  It's interesting to hear a younger person's perspective on them.  REM's been my favorite band since I first heard Fables of the Reconstruction in 1985-ish.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #1338 on: April 18, 2017, 08:45:34 PM »

It does this strange thing seemingly randomly where it will download every available episode of a podcast without me instructing me to. Most of the time itunes sits there behaving itself, then my bandwidth will dip as 300 episodes start downloading.

I use the podcast app on my iPhone. Not sure if that's what you're referring to. It has a problem that might be what you're describing... It's only happened with a few podcasts (I specifically remember Planet Money and FiveThirtyEight having the issue) and once the hosts of 538 made a comment about it "We had a glitch in our feed and some people got all the episodes downloaded. We apologize"

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #1339 on: April 18, 2017, 09:52:59 PM »
Anyone like the stuff at Duckfeed.tv?

They have a really good REM retrospective going on right now called File Under Water.

I'm listening now.  It's interesting to hear a younger person's perspective on them.  REM's been my favorite band since I first heard Fables of the Reconstruction in 1985-ish.

Me too, only since lifes rich pageant.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Online xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #1340 on: April 18, 2017, 10:37:31 PM »

Me too
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #1341 on: April 18, 2017, 11:24:42 PM »
Myths and Legends <------ can NOT recommend this one enough

I managed to find the RSS, but I STILL can't figure out how the hell to download their mp3s.

I had the same problem, initially (I listen via a USB in my car).

On the linked page there's a circle with dots in it next to the play button; there's your download option.

aaaaaaaaaaaaah awesome thank you!!
I'd never have thought to click on that because my heuristic just said 'these are play-function buttons' and ignored the idea that it's an some sort of 'etc.' symbol. most places just have the word 'download' :P
Quote from: George William Foote
Priestcraft nourishes hope in the scientific laboratory, and feels only faint misgivings in academic halls; but it pales and withers at the smile of scepticism, and hears in a low laugh the note of the trump of doom."

Online SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #1342 on: April 18, 2017, 11:40:45 PM »
Added most of the McElroy's shows now. My Brother My Brother and Me, Sawbones, Schmanners, Bunker Buddies, and the upcoming Kind Rewind should be good as well.

Also, the Flophouse.
HIISSSSSSSS

Online Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #1343 on: April 19, 2017, 12:46:11 PM »
(click to show/hide)

aaaaaaaaaaaaah awesome thank you!!
I'd never have thought to click on that because my heuristic just said 'these are play-function buttons' and ignored the idea that it's an some sort of 'etc.' symbol. most places just have the word 'download' :P

Happy to help, because I had precisely the same issue.  :laugh:
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #1344 on: April 21, 2017, 06:14:00 PM »
The Bernie Sanders Podcast

Its alright, a basic conversation format. Bill Nye is probably the biggest guest on so far. Its a little sloppy and unstructured, but its still pretty good.

This hit piece about it actually got me to listen to it:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/04/19/bernie_sanders_new_podcast_is_awful.html

Unintended consequences eh?

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #1345 on: April 21, 2017, 08:20:37 PM »
I read that piece, and then didn't bother to listen. I gave up on Hillary's too.
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #1346 on: April 21, 2017, 08:26:25 PM »
I read that piece, and then didn't bother to listen. I gave up on Hillary's too.

You're not missing much to be honest. He isnt really saying anything he hasnt before. Im sure the novelty will wear off soon enough.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #1347 on: April 22, 2017, 10:15:46 AM »

Hillary's was only like 5 episodes and only mildly interesting behind the scenes of the campaign. There were some interesting tidbits about what it's like to work for a presidential candidate, but obviously filtered through a biased lense.

I also read that slate article and chose not to listen. Also because I'm only now catching up on my 2 week backlog of podcasts after deleting about 10 podcasts from my feed and starting to listen in 2x instead of 1.5x. There's not enough time!

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #1348 on: April 24, 2017, 01:05:04 PM »
I added radiolab back into my rotation.  There's an interesting recent episode on policing and police killings.  The interview the chief of police form Daytona who appears to have a great record on race and police violence and several relatives of folks killed by police.  Worth a listen. 

Offline jsw

• Brand New
« Reply #1349 on: June 16, 2017, 01:48:46 PM »
science/skepticism/etc

SGU + 5x5
A Gobbet o' Pus
Astronomy Cast
Freakonomics Radio
Irreligiosophy
The math factor
point of inquiry