Author Topic: Which podcasts are we listening to?  (Read 137397 times)

Offline Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Which podcasts are we listening to?
« Reply #1365 on: August 06, 2017, 02:11:05 PM »
Hmmmm.  They panned it on the Slate Culture Gabfest, but I might give it a try on the strength of your recommendation.

So far all three guests they've had on have been people I already liked from Comedy Bang Bang.  I'm already used to Paul F. Tompkins laughing off mic and Mary Holland purposely talking in a shrill voice, but I guess they might not come off so hot if you aren't accustomed to it.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1366 on: August 07, 2017, 01:37:41 PM »
Mind Pump
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #1367 on: August 08, 2017, 06:48:51 PM »
I'm enjoying the Washington Post's Constitutional. It's a well told history of the constitution and its amendments. It seems like they're going for elements that make a good story rather than going through the history of the constitution line by line (which is what I initially hoped) but the engaging narrative has surpassed my expectations so far.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
« Reply #1368 on: August 08, 2017, 06:50:32 PM »
I'm sorry that should have read: The Amazon Washington Post. Want to make sure I'm not deceiving anyone about the source. Also in the interest of full disclosure my wife works for Amazon so George Soros can direct deposit every time someone listens to Constitutional.

Offline Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #1369 on: August 10, 2017, 05:40:00 PM »
Did you listen to Presidential, Neutral Milk?  Besides Lillian's silly "what would a date be like" segments, I was happy with the overall series.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
« Reply #1370 on: August 10, 2017, 07:45:38 PM »
Did you listen to Presidential, Neutral Milk?  Besides Lillian's silly "what would a date be like" segments, I was happy with the overall series.

I did not. Didn't hear about it until Constitutional. I'm full up on podcasts at the moment so I can't dedicate the time to go back and listen, but if it's anything like Constitutional I'm sure I'd enjoy it

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #1371 on: August 12, 2017, 09:29:58 PM »
Is it just me or does there seem to be a sudden rise in the number of podcasts about the American legal system?

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1372 on: August 12, 2017, 09:41:56 PM »
Is it just me or does there seem to be a sudden rise in the number of podcasts about the American legal system?
The great songwriter Tom Paxton with "One Million Lawyers."

Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline ShadowSot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #1373 on: August 13, 2017, 05:03:24 AM »
Started listening to Magnus Archives.
 It's a fictional narrative of a paranormal research group in England. The framing device is the podcasts are audio recordings of reports that cause odd disturbances when trying to add them to a digital archive.
 It's been pleasantly creepy.
“I'm smart enough to know that I'm dumb.”
 - Richard Feynman

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #1374 on: September 05, 2017, 09:30:35 PM »
This might have been brought up before but I want to listen to podcast on my android phone(Motorola HD). What player do you people use? I have been just transferring them to my phone and listening to them with "play Music" app on my phone but it really isn't meant for this. I want to play at double speed and pause and pick up where I left off. I normally use my Ipod and that works great but looking toward the future when my Ipod craps out.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline BilLumberg

• Off to a Start
« Reply #1375 on: September 07, 2017, 08:44:01 PM »
I have been using podcast addict (free version). Works good and easy to find podcasts using its search. It does have play speed options too.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #1376 on: September 07, 2017, 11:20:15 PM »
Same. 

I listen to everything at 1.2x and use my 'downloaded episodes' as a playlist, pruning as needed with 'delete played episodes.'  Works great.
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #1377 on: September 08, 2017, 06:29:26 AM »
This might have been brought up before but I want to listen to podcast on my android phone(Motorola HD). What player do you people use? I have been just transferring them to my phone and listening to them with "play Music" app on my phone but it really isn't meant for this. I want to play at double speed and pause and pick up where I left off. I normally use my Ipod and that works great but looking toward the future when my Ipod craps out.

I use BeyondPod now because the password protected RSS feeds are a bit fucky with Podcast Addict. Big-ass micro SD card and I'm good to go.
HIISSSSSSSS

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #1378 on: September 08, 2017, 02:26:42 PM »
I used to love Beyondpod but they changed some features I loved a couple of years ago (I forget which) and as of a year ago it still wasnt as good as Pocketcasts imo, which just does its job and shuts up.

Offline nameofthewave

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #1379 on: September 12, 2017, 04:29:54 AM »
Some podcast suggestions from the BBC website, haven't heard of some of these but sound interesting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3yS86ZSlD92bx0TND2y633D/back-to-school-with-the-podcast-university

personate-rain