Author Topic: Which podcasts are we listening to?  (Read 163700 times)

Online SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
Re: Which podcasts are we listening to?
« Reply #1395 on: July 02, 2018, 11:39:52 AM »
Added BigSoftTitty.png (comedy by an Aussie couple) and Bubble. Bubble is a scripted audio drama that I'm enjoying a lot. BST.PNG introduced the ballad of Cum Egg.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #1396 on: July 02, 2018, 11:46:46 AM »
Does anyone listen to irreligiosphy anymore?  I think they are on a 2 podcast a year schedule now
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1397 on: July 02, 2018, 04:37:20 PM »
Added BigSoftTitty.png (comedy by an Aussie couple) and Bubble. Bubble is a scripted audio drama that I'm enjoying a lot. BST.PNG introduced the ballad of Cum Egg.

For all the hype that MaxFun put into promoting Bubble, I kinda expected more, it's only a small step up from the table read they did on  Dead Pilot Society, and more of it.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #1398 on: July 03, 2018, 08:14:17 AM »
I have been following two fantastic podcasts lately:

There is Death in Ice Valley, a riveting investigation into the Isdal Woman, an unidentified, mysterious dead woman found in rural Norway in the 1970s.

Then there is Caliphate by Rukmini Callimachi of the New York Times, which is an astonishing insight into ISIS and probably the best serial podcast I have ever heard.

Another vote for Death in Ice Valley, I also started the pod cast about Benezir Bhutto, the assassination.

Yas, the Bhutto one was also great!

I added two more interesting ones to my list:

History is Sexy: a lighthearted, amusing history podcast by two women. They do a lot of people's history, which is great, and one of them is an actual historian. It is soon becoming my favourite history podcast (though Carlin, with his, irritating, bombastic intonation and irregular schedule is not that hard to dislodge)

SquaMates: A super-niche, but fun herpetology podcast by three experts, inspired in part by the best zoology podcast out there, the Tetrapod Zoology Podcast

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #1399 on: July 06, 2018, 04:00:16 PM »
For all the hype that MaxFun put into promoting Bubble, I kinda expected more, it's only a small step up from the table read they did on  Dead Pilot Society, and more of it.

It's fine, and good enough to keep going with.  But not top notch/awesome/best-of-the-best.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #1400 on: July 06, 2018, 04:12:51 PM »

It's fine, and good enough to keep going with.  But not top notch/awesome/best-of-the-best.

I cut it today after the 4th ep.  It was far too sitcommy insult joke for my liking.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline heyalison

• Off to a Start
« Reply #1401 on: July 07, 2018, 08:34:32 AM »

I cut it today after the 4th ep.  It was far too sitcommy insult joke for my liking.

I only made it a few minutes into the second episode. It's not even like I hated it, it just didn't keep my attention, and I found the narrator intrusive. Like High Pockets said, it really feels like a table read and not an audio drama (a form I actually quite like when it's done well).

Offline heyalison

• Off to a Start
« Reply #1402 on: July 07, 2018, 08:54:08 AM »
A few suggestions from my current list of subscriptions:

Weird History Podcast Episodes are usually shorter (15 minutes-ish), though the show often goes on long series about a single topic. He just finished a 15-part series on North Korea, and a while back had a really good 14-part series on Mussolini and Italian fascism. I find the host very listenable and informative.
Behind The Bastards A new show from the How Stuff Works people, it's hosted by Robert Evans, formerly of Cracked and other places. Each episode is about 45 minutes, and dives deep into the histories of some of history's worst people, exposing some fascinating idiosyncrasies.
Dressed Another new-ish HSW podcast, this is about the history of clothing and fashion.
Switchblade Sisters I love this show, on the MaxFun network. It's hosted by a female film critic, and each week she interviews female filmmakers about their favorite genre movies. There's a strong lean to horror and science fiction, which is right in line with my tastes.

Offline ShadowSot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #1403 on: August 09, 2018, 06:49:55 PM »
Does anyone listen to irreligiosphy anymore?  I think they are on a 2 podcast a year schedule now
They still update? Last I heard they retired.
“I'm smart enough to know that I'm dumb.”
 - Richard Feynman

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1404 on: August 10, 2018, 11:44:22 AM »

Every once in awhile something will pop up but it's like once or twice a year. The podcast just about died after the big break up. It never really got going with the new replacement host.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline ShadowSot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #1405 on: August 10, 2018, 08:53:24 PM »

Every once in awhile something will pop up but it's like once or twice a year. The podcast just about died after the big break up. It never really got going with the new replacement host.
didn't even know there's a new host. I un subscribed awhile back after they stated they finished.
“I'm smart enough to know that I'm dumb.”
 - Richard Feynman

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1406 on: August 10, 2018, 10:43:55 PM »

didn't even know there's a new host. I un subscribed awhile back after they stated they finished.

Chuck is the main host of the show and when the other guy (I don't remember his name) had a falling out over some kind of joint business venture in a haunted house, Matt joined the podcast.  I think the last one was in march.  I think there are other podcast that are better that do the same thing.  Not sure if they will be back or not.
Douglas Adams

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #1407 on: August 21, 2018, 06:17:10 AM »
I was listening to Generation Why and they did an episode on Ariel Castro.
Chilling that anybody could do that to a fellow human being.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll