Author Topic: Which podcasts are we listening to?  (Read 203240 times)

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
Last Podcast on the Left Spotify-only 14feb, might want to backup some of it now
« Reply #1440 on: February 12, 2020, 05:03:29 AM »
They go full on credulous on some topics, but it's never really bothered me.  I think Henry leans into his UFO belief a bit just for humor, but I do think he truly believes (or at least hopes) such visitation is possible.

Ultimately, when they examine specific subjects, the fall pretty heavily on the skeptical side of things, but in the abstract, they loves them some aliens and left-path magick.

ETA: Skinwalker Ranch is a good example of them being overly credulous, taking a lto of the "evidence" at face value and giving only a token nod to the much more mundane and skeptical answer.  But even on those, I mostly just blow off their credulous take and enjoy the story.

It's not my style of podcast, but they do go through a lot of topics/events that I am interested to hear about.

Apparently, they made some sort of deal with Spotify that has them get rid of the RSS feed and remove access to not only future podcasts, but to all previous podcasts, so that you have to get them through Spotify.

So a heads-up to people who might read this, and only follow that podcast sporadically but would like to have certain episodes downloaded.

I don't use Spotify, but from what I've read, it's not good for podcast downloads, and they don't seem that interested in developing their podcast features (here's an example, where a 2018 suggestion is directed to a 2016 suggestion that was deemed not a priority in late 2019).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 05:08:41 AM by 2397 »

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
Re: Which podcasts are we listening to?
« Reply #1441 on: February 12, 2020, 12:01:37 PM »
Tangentially Speaking and Peak Human of late. 
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: February 12, 2020, 09:14:17 PM »
I really need to cut down on the number of podcasts I listen to. I'm backlogged all to heck and running out of space on my phone.
Self-described nerd.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: February 13, 2020, 08:51:47 AM »
Getting backlogged over time is what kept driving up my listening speed. In the early days (2007ish) I was listening at a leisurely 1.0 pace. Started adding too many podcasts and in order to clear them bumped it up to 1.5. 13 years later I've slowly worked my way up to 2.7x being my standard with 3.0x if I'm trying to clear out my backlog and am not quite as concerned about comprehending everything. Unfortunately Pocket Casts doesn't go any higher than 3x at present.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: February 13, 2020, 10:47:28 AM »
Getting backlogged over time is what kept driving up my listening speed. In the early days (2007ish) I was listening at a leisurely 1.0 pace. Started adding too many podcasts and in order to clear them bumped it up to 1.5. 13 years later I've slowly worked my way up to 2.7x being my standard with 3.0x if I'm trying to clear out my backlog and am not quite as concerned about comprehending everything. Unfortunately Pocket Casts doesn't go any higher than 3x at present.

LOL, I just looked at my player, and it's been on .9x speed. Weird, I don't remember ever changing it. I will never go above 1.3x, but I'm glad I read your post (You're joking about 2.7, right?)
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: February 13, 2020, 10:51:37 AM »

LOL, I just looked at my player, and it's been on .9x speed. Weird, I don't remember ever changing it. I will never go above 1.3x, but I'm glad I read your post (You're joking about 2.7, right?)

No joke. But like I said it literally took 13 years of incremental build up (1.5 to 2 was probably 4 years alone) to get to the point where I've got really good comprehension at that speed. It's like training for anything this just happened to be something I trained for semi-inadvertently.

Online Sawyer

• Well Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: February 13, 2020, 10:56:13 AM »

Uh ... not to play the Google U psychiatrist here, but clearing a backlog at 3x sounds like some form of OCD.  How can you be getting any enjoyment whatsoever out of these?

I only ask because I've been slowly realizing how much of my consumption of podcasts is just an unhealthy form of completionism.  It took me about a year of having 3+ science podcasts to realize I need to whittle it down to one, no matter how much seeing blue dots in iTunes bothered me.  I'm due for another purging of both comedy and politics podcasts.  It feels so bad bailing on stuff that I love but I'm convinced that it's becoming mentally unhealthy to force 10 extra hours of unwanted audio into my ears every week.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: February 13, 2020, 11:13:52 AM »

Uh ... not to play the Google U psychiatrist here, but clearing a backlog at 3x sounds like some form of OCD.  How can you be getting any enjoyment whatsoever out of these?

I only ask because I've been slowly realizing how much of my consumption of podcasts is just an unhealthy form of completionism.  It took me about a year of having 3+ science podcasts to realize I need to whittle it down to one, no matter how much seeing blue dots in iTunes bothered me.  I'm due for another purging of both comedy and politics podcasts.  It feels so bad bailing on stuff that I love but I'm convinced that it's becoming mentally unhealthy to force 10 extra hours of unwanted audio into my ears every week.

As a practicing psychologist: fuck you.

JK.

I listen to podcasts when I walk my dog (~an hour and a half a day), walk to and from work (about an hour and a half walking to the various offices I work out of), and doing chores. That's a solid 4 hours a day of listening to podcasts. The only thing I'm eschewing during that time is quiet and music. Both things I'd enjoy. That's about 4 hours a day which is about 12 hours a day of audio content. When that gets exhausted (I don't have 12 hours of listening a day mostly) I call friends, listen to music, or just walk in silence. So I still get that stuff.

There is some part of me that feels that I'm trapped in being a completionist but I've been better lately about deleting podcasts and podcast episodes with subjects that don't interest me. At this point unless something amazing comes out I don't add any new podcasts, I'm only deleting them.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:16:53 AM by Neutral Milk »

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: February 13, 2020, 12:42:48 PM »
the Skeptics Guide to Emergency Medicine is my latest podcast. This episode gave me everything I'd want in a skeptical podcast,

SGEM#174: Don’t Believe the Hype – Vitamin C Cocktail for Sepsis
http://thesgem.com/2017/04/sgem174-dont-believe-the-hype-vitamin-c-cocktail-for-sepsis/

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: February 13, 2020, 09:41:56 PM »
Can I ask for opinions about players in this thread? For years I've been using Downcast on my iPhone but it has recently started getting really unstable. It keeps crashing when I'm using it in the car. Sometimes the app crashes, but the podcast actually keeps playing and I can't stop it. So I'm kind of looking for a replacement.

Features I like about Downcast include the ability to bring high-priority podcasts to the top of the recently-downloaded playlist (SGU and Skeptics with a K are among my high priority podcasts), and to be able to save volume adjustments to individual podcasts. I have no idea whether these are standard features for podcast players as it's been a long time since I've used any others.

Any suggestions?
Self-described nerd.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: February 14, 2020, 02:35:50 AM »
Can I ask for opinions about players in this thread? For years I've been using Downcast on my iPhone but it has recently started getting really unstable. It keeps crashing when I'm using it in the car. Sometimes the app crashes, but the podcast actually keeps playing and I can't stop it. So I'm kind of looking for a replacement.

Features I like about Downcast include the ability to bring high-priority podcasts to the top of the recently-downloaded playlist (SGU and Skeptics with a K are among my high priority podcasts), and to be able to save volume adjustments to individual podcasts. I have no idea whether these are standard features for podcast players as it's been a long time since I've used any others.

Any suggestions?

I like using cheap MP3 players.  New, they go all night and a couple I have use have FM radio.  They also have enough memory to watch a movie... yeah, right.  I have no qualms about having them in my pocket whilst shifting breaks, cycling, digging in the garden.  I don't actually know how to put podcasts on my phone.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: February 16, 2020, 08:02:02 PM »

Any suggestions?

I like using cheap MP3 players.  New, they go all night and a couple I have use have FM radio.  They also have enough memory to watch a movie... yeah, right.  I have no qualms about having them in my pocket whilst shifting breaks, cycling, digging in the garden.  I don't actually know how to put podcasts on my phone.

I use my phone because it bluetooths to my car. Cheap players generally don't do that. I've had problems in the past using FM broadcasters because the FM spectrum in my area is saturated and I can't get a clean signal.
Self-described nerd.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: February 18, 2020, 12:22:51 PM »

No joke. But like I said it literally took 13 years of incremental build up (1.5 to 2 was probably 4 years alone) to get to the point where I've got really good comprehension at that speed. It's like training for anything this just happened to be something I trained for semi-inadvertently.

That would take some serious effort for me.  I can listen at 1.5 fairly comfortably, but any faster is difficult.  I normally listen either while commuting, while doing chores, or while doing my (supposed to be) daily exercise.  I do listen some at work, but I can't really get anything out of a podcast while working - not enough reserve brain capacity.  I have probably four podcasts that I try to keep up with, but the rest I just listen to when I can.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 12:38:40 PM by Swagomatic »
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: February 18, 2020, 12:31:04 PM »
I've said it before, but I can do increased speeds for professional speakers recording with professional equipment, but with amateur/hobby speakers with "whatever is in their basement" equipment, it's 1x every time.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: February 18, 2020, 01:10:05 PM »
I've said it before, but I can do increased speeds for professional speakers recording with professional equipment, but with amateur/hobby speakers with "whatever is in their basement" equipment, it's 1x every time.

Oh absolutely. Even if someone on a well-recorded podcast does a phone interview and the quality drops a bit I have to bring the speed down significantly to make sense of it.