Poll

Should a new "Politics" forum be created, and if so, where?

No.
18 (27.7%)
Yes, and it should be in the "General Discussions" section.
45 (69.2%)
Yes, and it should be a child board of the "Open Skepticism - EXPLICIT" forum.
2 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Author Topic: Should there be a Politics forum?  (Read 7207 times)

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Should there be a Politics forum?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 10:50:48 PM »
I think the problem with a politics forum can be summed up here: Skepticism of Libertarianism

Bastard, by linking it, you've probably resurrected again.

Offline Kurt

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 10:52:58 PM »
I predict no good will come of this...

Hell, I could pretty much say that about any section or thread around here and be right.  :P
I eat babies
Well, hell jus froze over. I agree with Kurt here (although he is still a dick).

Offline DaveTheReader

• Frequent Poster
  • Let me see
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 10:58:27 PM »
What else are we going to talk about with the conventions running. I am listening to McCain speak while I write this.

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 11:44:04 PM »
With the exception of specific issues, I don't really think politics ought to be discussed here. There are plenty of political forums on the web.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline KarenX

• Too Much Spare Time
  • A Simple Girl with an Evil Plan
    • More Women in Skepticism
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 12:50:06 AM »
Not that I feel remotely senior enough to speak up, but I am getting a little tired of all category creating. There is such a thing as over-compartmentalizing. Keep politics in General, or in Science when it's about politics and science. It's usually obvious in a thread's title if it's going to be a political discussion or not. And having things mixed together makes it more likely more people will drop in to check it out.

Offline AccuJimmy

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Skeptacos are a given.
    • Mi MySpace page-o
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 09:15:51 AM »
Not that I feel remotely senior enough to speak up, but I am getting a little tired of all category creating. There is such a thing as over-compartmentalizing. Keep politics in General, or in Science when it's about politics and science. It's usually obvious in a thread's title if it's going to be a political discussion or not. And having things mixed together makes it more likely more people will drop in to check it out.

Exactly. I don't mind the media forums, but going much beyond that is going to dilute the discussion. I rarely go into the books or music forum even though I read and listen to music. If they were in one big media forum I probably would check it out all the time. Plus, creating a politics forum is probably a waste as constant discussion of every story will drop away sometime in early November.
What's so special about the cheesemakers?
Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.

What Jesus fails to appreciate is that it's the meek who are the problem.

Offline DK

• Dave, my mind is going.
  • Too Much Spare Time
    • My Blog: Self-Indulgent Navel Gazing
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 01:48:20 PM »
I vote 'Yes' just to tidy it up a bit. There's so many discussions going on and repeated threads in different forums (two off mike comments, two or three on the science questions at least) that is might be a good idea in the short term.

I also think General, most of the discussions have been fairly well behaved at the moment. Though it might hot up closer to the election.

Offline diabhal

• wooloohoo
  • Well Established
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 02:38:10 PM »
By "it should be in the General Discussion section", do you mean a child board of General Discussion, or do you mean another section within General Discussions in addition to General Discussion, Skepticism / Science Talk, Forum Games, and Open Skepticism - EXPLICIT?

While I am not opposed to having a Politics section, I would prefer to see it as a child board of General Discussion.

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 05:05:55 PM »
By "it should be in the General Discussion section", do you mean a child board of General Discussion, or do you mean another section within General Discussions in addition to General Discussion, Skepticism / Science Talk, Forum Games, and Open Skepticism - EXPLICIT?

The latter.  I have updated the wording on the poll to be clearer about this.

While I am not opposed to having a Politics section, I would prefer to see it as a child board of General Discussion.

General Discussion is a catch-all for every topic that doesn't fit into any other forum.  A child board's function, by comparison, is to focus the range of topics in the parent board.  A child board under the catch-all forum doesn't really make much sense.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2008, 05:09:47 PM »

agreed, its why I voted no. But if one does come, I hope its only till shortly after the election.

Offline AccuJimmy

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Skeptacos are a given.
    • Mi MySpace page-o
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2008, 06:39:58 PM »
I think a temporary politics forum is a very good idea. I vote for that.
Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.

Offline queequeg

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2008, 06:49:47 PM »
Keep it in General...unless nude pics of Palin show up online.

Oh Jesus Christ, please don't.

What about Obama noodz?  I hear he's black...

RACIST!
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
      -- Voltaire

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2008, 07:11:42 PM »
I think a temporary politics forum is a very good idea. I vote for that.

It would be permanent.

A temporary forum would cause far too many admin headaches.  When it came to be deletion time, what would happen to the posts in it?  There would be two options: move them to another forum (in this case probably back to General Discussion), or delete them.  If they would be moved back to GD, then there's really no point in making the forum in the first place.  If they would be deleted, I will have to move to a house with a moat around it, because I'd have hordes of members with torches and pitchforks coming after me 24/7 yelling "OMG censorship!!!"
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline AccuJimmy

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Skeptacos are a given.
    • Mi MySpace page-o
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2008, 07:13:29 PM »
OH hell. We wouldn't want to offend anybody would we?

Well then do your worst. Create yet another sub forum.

Offline Joe Shmoe

• Chief Rape Apologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2008, 08:02:44 PM »
Keep it in General...unless nude pics of Palin show up online.

Oh Jesus Christ, please don't.

What about Obama noodz?  I hear he's black...

RACIST!

I'm not racist, I've just seen a lot of hot black man candy during my time in the state penn.

Anyways...

The only reason I'd suggest moving political discussions to another forum would be to placate the political whiners that can't stand to see politics being discussed.  You know who I'm talking about, those posters who drop in to a political thread and say things like, "WHY DOES ANY OF THIS MATTER?" or "Giant douche, turd sandwich, whatever, they both suck."

If'n you don't want to participate you shouldn't click on the thread, but there will always been that dude who is compelled to click on every freaking thread and complain.  Usually me.

personate-rain
personate-rain