Author Topic: "Death Magnetic": I can't believe it's good!  (Read 6832 times)

Offline Jim S

• I demand that you shoot me now!
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: "Death Magnetic": I can't believe it's good!
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2008, 07:10:32 PM »
I don't like and  justice for all , it is a terribly mixed album.
How is it terribly mixed? (not being a audio expert of any sort myself...)
I've noticed that there are some places where the lower end of the guitar overpowers everything and ends up being distorted by my car audio system, unlike anything else I listen to... is that what you mean?   I've read the criticism of no bass, I guess that comes from those a-holes not liking the newbie.   (When Jason left the band and then I heard James and Lars explain what dicks they were to him, it really lessened my affection for Metallica.)

But I still like it a lot, other than Eye of the Beholder, every song is strong.  And Dyer's Eve...I love that song.
A bit of dumb, On a flea, On the wing, On the fly, On the frog, On the bump, On the log, In the hole, In the middle of the sea of awesome.

Offline nocturnous

• Time Lord
  • Well Established
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2008, 07:17:47 PM »
I've noticed that there are some places where the lower end of the guitar overpowers everything and ends up being distorted by my car audio system, unlike anything else I listen to... is that what you mean?   I've read the criticism of no bass, I guess that comes from those a-holes not liking the newbie.   (When Jason left the band and then I heard James and Lars explain what dicks they were to him, it really lessened my affection for Metallica.)

But I still like it a lot, other than Eye of the Beholder, every song is strong.  And Dyer's Eve...I love that song.

If you aren't an audio expert than how can I explain objectively in any term you can understand everything I find wrong with pretty much all metallica albums except for the black album.

Offline Jim S

• I demand that you shoot me now!
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2008, 07:22:45 PM »
OK.  Don't bother.
A bit of dumb, On a flea, On the wing, On the fly, On the frog, On the bump, On the log, In the hole, In the middle of the sea of awesome.

Offline parallellines

• Well Established
    • The New Technocrat
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2008, 08:19:50 PM »
I'm not a Metallica fan. I just wanted to get that clear before I say:

With the amount of money and talent behind Metallica you would think that the album would be guaranteed to sound "smokin'" as Lars so eloquently put it. Something just doesn't smell right here. Maybe I'm rading into it too much though, maybe it was just the luck of the draw.
A skeptical journalist... Seriously!!

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »

If you aren't an audio expert than how can I explain objectively in any term you can understand everything I find wrong with pretty much all metallica albums except for the black album.

Bleh, I hate this type of answer.

Do you really think an explanation is beyond people that post here?  Most everyone here is quite sharp, they just have not delved into this particular area.  I think it is possible to explain what you mean in general terms to give someone at least a general understanding of what you are talking about.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2008, 08:47:01 PM »

But this isn't Liszt or Chopin that we're talking about.

Having technically perfect metal is competely contrary to what metal is, isn't it?

If its about perfect sound, what the hell is a distortion pedal for?
Well.  There it is.

Offline nocturnous

• Time Lord
  • Well Established
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2008, 09:08:35 PM »

Bleh, I hate this type of answer.

Do you really think an explanation is beyond people that post here?  Most everyone here is quite sharp, they just have not delved into this particular area.  I think it is possible to explain what you mean in general terms to give someone at least a general understanding of what you are talking about.

I can understand how you could think that way. But you would be wrong.

If you can not hear what could be bad about something then no explanation from me will help you really understand these things , also you would not be able to verify any of it, the best you could do was hope to Google up some argument from authority that you don't understand.

I just don't see the point.

Offline nocturnous

• Time Lord
  • Well Established
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2008, 09:15:49 PM »

But this isn't Liszt or Chopin that we're talking about.

Having technically perfect metal is competely contrary to what metal is, isn't it?

If its about perfect sound, what the hell is a distortion pedal for?

Some of the metal I listen to is more musically complex than chopin or mozart.

No metal is like a more disciplined rock , Although this is thrash metal , what you want is tight drums and boring riffs which they can do,

and  again I didn't say it had to be anything I just said I didn't like the production on it.

Your argument was that the and justice for all album was criticized by a lot of experts and it sold many copies or something . That doesn't make the criticisms invalid or the ones for the album in question.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2008, 09:25:07 PM »
Not my argument.

Lars' argument.

I just happen to think he may have a valid point.

Besides, "Blind Guardian" is actually my favorite metal band....so I like silly ass music to begin with....
Well.  There it is.

Offline nocturnous

• Time Lord
  • Well Established
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2008, 10:00:10 PM »
The only point lars made was that they can suck as little or as much as they want and still make millions., and he made it better with Saint Anger.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2008, 10:07:24 PM »
The only point lars made was that they can suck as little or as much as they want and still make millions., and he made it better with Saint Anger.

Hmm.

Did Lars mention money?

I took away that he said that there will always be folks who hate them no matter what they do, so who cares.....if they would have released the guitar hero version, maybe we'd hear a chorus of "overproduced, pro-tools reliant" criticisms...

I've always loved this   Onion story....it reminds me of what I thought Lars was trying to say....

Well.  There it is.

personate-rain