Author Topic: Does Randi Still Speak?  (Read 9734 times)

Offline mickal777

• Beleth Gave Me 100 Gold
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • Trip to Japan
Does Randi Still Speak?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 08:18:12 PM »
uhm

Whats this got to do with randi :D

Oh and copro means 'feaces'.

Dung beatels and the like are corpovores or something.

Offline chionactis

• moonlit leaves rustling, empty parking lot, tiny astronaut above the mountainside
  • Frequent Poster
Does Randi Still Speak?
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 10:54:04 PM »
Here is what Randi himself has to say about it:

"I’ve recently been forced to curtail some extra activities, one of which is my weekly contribution to Dr. Steven Novella’s podcasts. That will be remedied. Go to www.theskepticsguide.org/skepticsguide/podcastinfo.asp?pid=47 and you’ll see that I’m still listed there, and I want to be back doing this simple task, weekly. I promise…"

That's from the latest Swift Newsletter.
"Sometimes I think it's all one big affectation. The forty jars, each holding its thief, draw closer to me, trying to eavesdrop." John Ashbery

"And beware the casual assumption of moral superiority, or that everyone who disagrees with you is evil. That is the path to fanaticism." Dr. Steven Novella

Offline jason

• Frequent Poster
Does Randi Still Speak?
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 10:58:38 PM »
Thanks for the update, chionactis. It'll be good to hear his weekly rants again. :)
quot;Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick
"Scientific skepticism: the buck stops at reality."

Offline astronomoth

• Not Enough Spare Time
weirdness
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 10:05:31 AM »
i read up on this....the strange thing is..often this occurs to me when my brain engages situations that may be embarrassing or that my brain fools itself into thinking its embarrassing or around other people i feel..even though i know i its not....its usually nonsensical uttering though...with about half foul language and very loud >.> could this be smiler to the condition mentioned here? its not as bad as when i was younger...no..its so not that bad

Offline Toby Beau

• Seasoned Contributor
  • mmmm... free goo
    • http://schadey.blogspot.com
Does Randi Still Speak?
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2007, 12:34:59 PM »
Quote from: "IRON MAN"
I actually met a girl with Tourette's on a message board, and I looked right into it.  Quite fascinating actually, somewhat different to the Hollywood version of Tourette's, (what a shock :roll:), and worth knowing about.

I love learning about this kind of stuff.  I have minimal problems dealing with human disabilities/abnormalities at the best of times, and I find that people so affected really appreciate it if you know enough about their condition not to be perturbed by it.

I also thought it was so cool that someone with Tourette's has this method of communication available to them, (text message board), where their condition is not the distraction it would be verbally.  I mean it's not as if you are just gonna bash out abuses on a keyboard.  God I love the internet.

Yeah, Tourett's is one of those disorders that a lot of people like to fake, and you know they're faking because they don't really know what it is. It's  a very glamourous disorders to have.  
Another one is "Dissociative Personality Disorder" a.k.a "Multiple Personalities"  which people like to pretend they have, although they refer to it simply as being "schizophrenics". It's a real disorder, but it's really rare, and a lot of teenage 'drama queens' really love to milk that one.
Kooky percussion videos I make:

y blog:
http://schadey.blogspot.com
Podcasts:
http://www.drzach.net/apologia.htm
http://reasondriven.blogspot.com

"Sometimes I get it right, sometimes I get it wrong, but I always get it." - Biggest Douche in the Universe.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
Does Randi Still Speak?
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2007, 12:41:33 PM »
Another one is "Dissociative Personality Disorder" a.k.a "Multiple Personalities" which people like to pretend they have, although they refer to it simply as being "schizophrenics". It's a real disorder,

I'd argue this with you.  I don't believe Dissociative Personality Disorder is real.  The few dozen diagnosis that have been made of this disorder have come from a hand full of psychologists.  All the cases that have been more deeply explored by outside psychologists have proven to have only come about after the therapy sessions began.  There is serious reason to think that the disorder was planted by the psychologists (I don't think this is done out of malice, just ignorance.)

There are other types of dissociative disorders that may be confused with multiple personalities, but the disorder does not exist in the popular sense.  I don't think anyone confuses Multiple personality with schizophrenia, and I don't think any of the diagnosed cases have actually been schizophrenics (although I could be wrong.)

Offline Toby Beau

• Seasoned Contributor
  • mmmm... free goo
    • http://schadey.blogspot.com
Does Randi Still Speak?
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 11:32:15 AM »
Quote from: "Neutral Milk"
I'd argue this with you.  I don't believe Dissociative Personality Disorder is real.  The few dozen diagnosis that have been made of this disorder have come from a hand full of psychologists.  All the cases that have been more deeply explored by outside psychologists have proven to have only come about after the therapy sessions began.  There is serious reason to think that the disorder was planted by the psychologists (I don't think this is done out of malice, just ignorance.)

There are other types of dissociative disorders that may be confused with multiple personalities, but the disorder does not exist in the popular sense.  I don't think anyone confuses Multiple personality with schizophrenia, and I don't think any of the diagnosed cases have actually been schizophrenics (although I could be wrong.)

I learned in a psych class that it is a real, but very rare disorder.  This would probably be a good question for Dr. Novella. It seems reasonable that a person's brain could sort of dissociate from itself and create a new memory. Did you ever see that movie "Sybil"? That movie was supposedly based on an actual case study.  She was all messed up.

I don't think psychologists would confuse multiple personalities with schizophrenia, but average people in the public don't really know the difference.  So a kid who wants attention will tell people that they are "schizophrenic" and that they have "multiple personalties". That's what my psych teacher said, anyway.
Kooky percussion videos I make:

y blog:
http://schadey.blogspot.com
Podcasts:
http://www.drzach.net/apologia.htm
http://reasondriven.blogspot.com

"Sometimes I get it right, sometimes I get it wrong, but I always get it." - Biggest Douche in the Universe.

Offline furby100

• Off to a Start
Does Randi Still Speak?
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2007, 07:11:57 PM »
Quote from: "Toby Beau"

I don't think psychologists would confuse multiple personalities with schizophrenia, but average people in the public don't really know the difference.  So a kid who wants attention will tell people that they are "schizophrenic" and that they have "multiple personalties". That's what my psych teacher said, anyway.

This is perhaps so. However, in popular culture, schizophrenic is almost invariably used to refer to "multiple personalities". Similarly, psychotic is almost always used to mean 'violently amoral' (which actually is completely unrelated to its definition).
An example where the semantic drift is nearly complete is that paranoia originally referred to any kind of delusion.

personate-rain
personate-rain