Author Topic: Rules for explicit  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Anders

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Rules for explicit
« on: September 15, 2008, 12:36:34 AM »
2) Everything here will get deleted after five days of inactivity.
That's right.  Your stuff here is short-lived.  That's the price you pay for being able to post videos of bongs stuck in girls' assholes.
This is non-negotiable; the only direction that number will go is down.
"Inactivity" means "no new replies".  So as long as a thread is interesting enough for people to respond to, it'll stay around.
If you want your stuff to be permanent, post in a different section of this board.  But be warned that the rules, like your mom, are tighter in other sections.  So you will have to clean up your act.

Just a quick nitpick - as written, if the OP keeps posting to his own thread it can't be deleted. I suggest to amend it so that the "new replies" have to be from someone except other than the OP. While this may be implied, it is best to make these things explicit. Rules lawyers are everywhere.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Rules for explicit
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 12:39:07 AM »
Just a quick nitpick - as written, if the OP keeps posting to his own thread it can't be deleted. I suggest to amend it so that the "new replies" have to be from someone except other than the OP. While this may be implied, it is best to make these things explicit. Rules lawyers are everywhere.

See Rule 3.

ETA:
And by that, I mean "Rule 3 covers the case where someone tries to circumvent the auto-expirer", not "stop bothering me."  Rule 3 applies to your hypothetical, not to you.  :)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 02:35:53 PM by Beleth »
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Opcn

• Frequent Poster
  • Home of the Reef Tank.
    • facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 02:23:40 AM »
I think the auto expire might be broken.

Also I see no 'rules' and no 'suggest threads to move' threads; coincidentally wasn't there a thread recently that you (beleth) thought should be moved to EC? Has it been moved? I think it has expired but don't actually remember what it was about.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 02:56:42 AM »

Also I see no 'rules' and no 'suggest threads to move' threads; coincidentally wasn't there a thread recently that you (beleth) thought should be moved to EC? Has it been moved? I think it has expired but don't actually remember what it was about.

you don't need a thread about moving threads - you can click the handy "report to mod" button and say, "dear beleth, i do believe that this thread needs to be moved, your friend opcn," or something like that.

the rules are around here somewhere.... maybe you should look for them? at the top of your screen somewhere while in the explicit forum?

eta: here are some rules: http://skepchick.org/skepticsguide/index.php/topic,4.0.html
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline LeeTheAgent

• Kikyo's other husband.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • >:/ RAWR CRIKEY!
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 04:16:21 AM »
As it stands, EC is basically a sandbox in my opinion. I don't think we need to enforce extra rules to manage whether someone keeps bumping their own threads. If they do for no real reason, they'll be warned for spamming, I assume. And eventually they'd get bored with it. As long as its contained to EC, I see no reason to enforce additional rules there. This isn't 4chan, I'm sure they'll die out soon enough. And the report to mod function is always there if its a serious violation.
An environment of pervasive credulity is incompatible with a healthy democracy.
<Kikyo> I am implying that you are sexy ;)

Offline Opcn

• Frequent Poster
  • Home of the Reef Tank.
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 11:43:10 AM »
The rules for explicit are gone, also so is that thread to my knowledge so obviously there is no reply to mod button at the bottom to suggest anything to anyone with.

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 12:22:48 PM »

There never was an auto-expire.  SMF does not have that capability, and I never bugged Ducky enough to write a script that would do it.  It's been me running it manually all this time.  And yeah, I've been a few days behind.  Never thought anyone would actually complain about that!

The previous version of the SMF software had an option to not expire old threads that were stickied.  The new one does not.  I was not aware of this until after I had expired Explicit under the new software, and the backups we had made had already been overwritten.  So the rules have been gone for about two weeks now.

I submitted this missing feature as a bug to the SMF developers.

I haven't moved any thread to Explicit for quite some time now, nor do I remember suggesting that one get moved there in a while.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 01:39:29 PM »
So does that mean that even if we all somehow manage to forget to post to the boob thread for a week or so, that you aren't likely to delete it anyway?   ;)

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 03:17:50 PM »
So does that mean that even if we all somehow manage to forget to post to the boob thread for a week or so, that you aren't likely to delete it anyway?   ;)

you know, it's good to know that the auto-expire is in fact beleth, 'cause i've been worried about the family of body-part related threads.  i mean, who'll post there if i'm not?  :P
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline ducky

• Well Established
    • http://skepticwiki.org
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 09:53:26 PM »

There never was an auto-expire.  SMF does not have that capability, and I never bugged Ducky enough to write a script that would do it.  It's been me running it manually all this time.  And yeah, I've been a few days behind.  Never thought anyone would actually complain about that!

I have been looking for an assistant.

Offline Opcn

• Frequent Poster
  • Home of the Reef Tank.
    • facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 12:09:51 AM »
win

personate-rain