Author Topic: Forum Sections  (Read 2651 times)

Offline diabhal

• wooloohoo
  • Well Established
Forum Sections
« on: September 17, 2008, 04:57:52 PM »
I was browsing CFI's forums today and thought SGU's could be better organized by implementing some changes that mirror CFI's layout. Namely, by having one "Entertainment and Pop Culture" section and possibly renaming "Politics" to something closer to "Politics and Social Issues". Anyway, it's just a thought... I just really like the way the sections are laid out over at CFI.

What do you guys think?

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Forum Sections
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 08:17:55 PM »
Thanks for those suggestions, diabhal.

I hesitate to consider combining all of the Media forums into one giant "Entertainment and Pop Culture" forum, because Apeiron has done such a fantastic job organizing the Books forum.  That work adds to the value of this board, and combining them all would throw that value away.  (If he'd care to to that to the Movies and Music forums too, that would be wonderful, hint hint...)

As for Politics, joining social issues in with politics would negate one of the reasons I created a Politics forum in the first place.  It's not only a place to discuss politics, it's a place people who don't want to discuss politics can stay out of and not worry about missing something of interest to them.  If the need for a separate area for social issues comes up, I'd create a new forum for it, and not merge it in with Politics.  For right now, though, I think threads on social issues are doing just fine where they are.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Students! The muses are silent.
    • ILS
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 12:40:11 AM »
Quote from: Beleth
(If he'd care to to that to the Movies and Music forums too, that would be wonderful, hint hint...)

I was planning on eventually having a poll to see whether people prefer Film/TV/Music to be similarly organized. Even with such organization though, throwing them all together could get confusing. Unless we can have some sort of icon attached to a thread that signals whether it discusses film/tv/music/book.

Offline mickal777

• Beleth Gave Me 100 Gold
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • Trip to Japan
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 07:04:44 PM »
You can kill the Word association game if you like :P

I doubt anyone is going to care- kull it back to the first post or something.

That's what they did on BAUT.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 10:21:31 PM »

Seconded.

Offline diabhal

• wooloohoo
  • Well Established
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 10:26:55 PM »

Is the Forum Games section really needed? Can it not be trimmed down like the explicit section once the threads go inactive? Maybe it could be trimmed down and made to be a child board of General Discussion.

Offline Sabbie

• Frequent Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 11:24:06 AM »

Is the Forum Games section really needed? Can it not be trimmed down like the explicit section once the threads go inactive? Maybe it could be trimmed down and made to be a child board of General Discussion.

The reason we really wanted all games to be in one section is so people won't get annoyed by Game threads (like mafia, but also the less serious ones) always being on top. And if you're in a game, it's very useful when that game is stickied, which we can't really do when it doesn't have it own section (again, would be annoying for people who aren't playing and it would take up a lot of space at the top).

Also, a lot of people read back on old Mafia Games. We actually link to games from other forums we played Mafia on occasionally to make an example or just because it's a fun read! I would really, really be disappointed if any of our old Mafia games would be deleted eventually, people like to read them back.

I am not sure I mind it becoming a sub-board of General, although I must admit that I hate sub-boards :P I hardly ever click on them (even though I would with Games, but just because it's my favorite part of the forum next to General) and I think it would be harder to find for new players as well.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 08:53:42 PM »
I still think that a "member locales and meetups" section would be grade-A badass.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 10:27:32 PM »
I still think that a "member locales and meetups" section would be grade-A badass.

Well, there's that "Bay Area Skeptics in the pub" thread that's caught on pretty well.
If more of those types of threads start popping up, I can make a forum for it.
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 01:11:50 AM »

Well, there's that "Bay Area Skeptics in the pub" thread that's caught on pretty well.

Sweeet, thanks!
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline DK

• Dave, my mind is going.
  • Too Much Spare Time
    • My Blog: Self-Indulgent Navel Gazing
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 10:44:28 AM »

Sweeet, thanks!

Seconded. I think this would be a good way to organise piss-ups I mean, responsible discussions and debate!

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 03:37:36 PM »
Seconded. I think this would be a good way to organise piss-ups I mean, responsible discussions and debate!

I've used the Calendar function (and forum) to good use in this regard already.  If you build it, they will come...
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 03:54:35 PM »

I've used the Calendar function (and forum) to good use in this regard already.  If you build it, they will come...

How do we go about getting something posted to the calendar?  I don't believe it allowed me to make a post in there.

Offline DK

• Dave, my mind is going.
  • Too Much Spare Time
    • My Blog: Self-Indulgent Navel Gazing
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 03:58:08 PM »

Good idea, but I can't seem to post a new topic in there. Is this restricted to Admins? There do seem to be a couple of (Insert area) Skeptics in the Pub threads, and it could be really handy for newbies to find their local group.

Edit - Wastrel beat me to it!

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 06:57:42 PM »
Well no wonder no one uses the calendar!   :P

Let me see what I can do to make it member-writable.

ETA:
Try it now!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 07:27:49 PM by Beleth »
-- Stephan Grellet

personate-rain
personate-rain