Author Topic: Zune 120  (Read 3968 times)

Offline Parrish

• Mark Twain:
  • Well Established
  • God did not create man, Man created God.
    • My Blog
Zune 120
« on: September 21, 2008, 06:33:20 AM »
Anyone else getting the new Zune 120?? or perhaps the Zune 16 flash player???
man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows.
Mark Twain

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
Re: Zune 120
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 09:59:41 AM »
I got a zune 8. I'm a "anything but ipod" guy. I had a lot of credit on amazon.ca and amazon.ca sucks for electronics. The only thing I could get was a zune. Anyway, the zune is okay. But I don't like how you have to use its transfer software. I've got 8 gigs of flash storage and I just can't drag and drop files. I need to use the transfer software and then I can't add non media files.

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline nerdo

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Disinheriting the meek since 1977
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 11:50:52 AM »
I agree about the software.  I don't HATE it, but I wish they had just let me use windows media player, which syncs to all my other mp3 players (Damn microsoft and their doublethink).  I have one of the 30 gig ones and besides a few minor complaints I really enjoy using it.
That which does not kill me, postpones the inevitable.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 07:01:26 PM »
I agree about the software.  I don't HATE it, but I wish they had just let me use windows media player, which syncs to all my other mp3 players (Damn microsoft and their doublethink).  I have one of the 30 gig ones and besides a few minor complaints I really enjoy using it.

Yah that sums up my feeling with the zune 8. I wish I had 8 gb of USB storage I could plug 'n' play. I HATE they have a special cable (the connector conspiracy!) instead of using a standard usb cable. But I do like I can resume any podcast at any time. With your standard little flash mp3 players you can resume whatever you're playing but it saves no resume information for everything. The zune does and that's pretty cool.

Korean Podcast

Offline nerdo

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 02:04:22 AM »

Yah that sums up my feeling with the zune 8. I wish I had 8 gb of USB storage I could plug 'n' play. I HATE they have a special cable (the connector conspiracy!) instead of using a standard usb cable. But I do like I can resume any podcast at any time. With your standard little flash mp3 players you can resume whatever you're playing but it saves no resume information for everything. The zune does and that's pretty cool.

That's one thing I love about it.  I have probably ten different movies in various stages of being watched and it remembers them all.  Plus countless podcasts.  If you get the cradle, the wireless sync feature is pretty sweet though.

Offline Parrish

• Mark Twain:
  • Well Established
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 04:33:45 PM »
I heard a interview recently about why they ddo not allow you to use WMP11. They said that Zune was more about the social aspect of music then anything else and that WMP11 could not be altered enough to accomplish this.   
man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows.
Mark Twain

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 11:02:09 AM »
I installed the new update. They've added some games. Meh. A lot of work upgrading for very little.

Korean Podcast

Offline Parrish

• Mark Twain:
  • Well Established
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 08:32:56 PM »
I think I am just going to call you "Mr. Cranky Pants"
Mark Twain

Offline Ampatent

• Well Established
  • Still Working on That Doctorate....
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 02:06:12 PM »
Zune? This some kind of futuristic motor bike or something?

Online stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 11:11:56 PM »
Anyone else getting the new Zune 120?? or perhaps the Zune 16 flash player???

The 8GB hard drive in my Creative just crashed. So I replaced it with an 8GB CompactFlash card. 2 1/2 years old and still going! So, no Zune for me.

Offline nerdo

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 02:19:09 AM »
I installed the new update. They've added some games. Meh. A lot of work upgrading for very little.

I agree. If I want games, I'll use the PSP.  I am glad they put a clock on it finally.  A couple more updates and they might realize that I would like a sleeptimer as well.

The 8GB hard drive in my Creative just crashed. So I replaced it with an 8GB CompactFlash card. 2 1/2 years old and still going! So, no Zune for me.

I still use my three year old Zen Microphoto for audiobooks.  That thing has taken some serious abuse over the years and still no complaints.

Online stands2reason

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 09:25:31 AM »

I still use my three year old Zen Microphoto for audiobooks.  That thing has taken some serious abuse over the years and still no complaints.

Cool. I too have a Micro Photo (to be more specific). And your hard drive still works? Lucky you. I wonder if audiobook listening is less HD intensive than music or podcasts... Anyways, it helps to know that the HD that the Micro Photo uses is the same as a CompactFlash card. The MP3 player is pretty easy to take apart, when the inevitable happens. (Of course, I had to pry mine with an eyeglass screwdriver, because it didn't open like it was supposed to.)

Offline Redfox

• Seasoned Contributor
  • HA! HA! Multiple Entendre
    • SPORK ROAST PODCAST
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 10:38:51 AM »
I've had issues with the 3.0 Software.  Hopefully they'll work on fixing that.  There's wifi connections to XBox 360 now too.  You can play your music while gaming. 
If it says TATACACATATCCTCGT, then you'll probably wish that you didn't know.

Offline nerdo

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 01:54:24 AM »

Cool. I too have a Micro Photo (to be more specific). And your hard drive still works? Lucky you. I wonder if audiobook listening is less HD intensive than music or podcasts... Anyways, it helps to know that the HD that the Micro Photo uses is the same as a CompactFlash card. The MP3 player is pretty easy to take apart, when the inevitable happens. (Of course, I had to pry mine with an eyeglass screwdriver, because it didn't open like it was supposed to.)

Cool.  I did download the plans for when that inevitably happens to mine, since it occasionally makes a whining sound.  Did using a CompactFlash improve your battery life at all?

Online stands2reason

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 08:06:22 AM »

Cool.  I did download the plans for when that inevitably happens to mine, since it occasionally makes a whining sound.  Did using a CompactFlash improve your battery life at all?

The whining sound is normal, that's just interference caused by the hard drive. I didn't even get a warning, the player just started "re-building library" all the time, and it wouldn't sync or save settings. Ironically, the one time it gave me a "hard disk error" was a full year before the hard drive actually broke!

Did using a CompactFlash improve your battery life at all?

I would think so, but it's hard to tell, since the battery that I'm using (the original one) has most of its capacity worn out. I think I notice an improvement, especially higher bit rate stuff, like music.

personate-rain