Author Topic: SGU 5x5 #39  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
SGU 5x5 #39
« on: October 02, 2008, 08:11:20 AM »
Podcast #39    Skepticism 101 - The Ideomotor Effect
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline bondurant

• Off to a Start
Re: SGU 5x5 #39
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 02:14:58 PM »
I don't know what proportion of the listeners to the main podcast listen to the 5x5s, but these (especially the 101 series) are a perfect introduction to the world of scepticism, and make people aware in easy to digest bites that there are names and processes around for some of the everday oddities that they may not be aware fall under a 'sceptical' umbrella.

I download these on Thursday afternoons at work and play them in my office, and they are always then followed by a conversation about it. I think that many people know that something odd is going on (like with ouija boards, spoon bending etc.) but don't know a way to think about the issues or realise that there specific processes going on that deceive those involved.

I really do applaud the hours of work you all put into this. It does have an effect and it does make a difference. Keep up the good work!

Offline afBeaver

• Brand New
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 04:05:23 PM »
i've seen mentalists using the idemotor effect as a mind reading trick. Its pretty amazing! 8)

Offline DoctorAtlantis

• What?
  • Well Established
  • Hey Kids! It's Doctor Atlantis!
    • http://www.doctoratlantis.com
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 04:06:42 PM »
I thought we were discussing the idiot-motorist effect... But nope.

Offline Niobe

• You betta back down before you get smacked down
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • Sons of Dis!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 03:55:41 AM »
Aside from Facilitated communication, the runner up for ideomotor diagnostics in pseudoscience, is of course kinesiology, where you could argue both the patient and the practitioner exhibit the ideomotor effect.

For those not in the know, it's a "diagnostics" tool where the patient holds something in a tube they are sensitive/allergic to, and hold an arm outstretched, and the practitioner can only push the arm down if the item in the tube weakens the patient, thus diagnosing them. Strangely, double blinding the contents of the tube negates the whole diagnostics procedure.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 10:49:53 AM »
Aside from Facilitated communication, the runner up for ideomotor diagnostics in pseudoscience, is of course kinesiology, where you could argue both the patient and the practitioner exhibit the ideomotor effect.

For those not in the know, it's a "diagnostics" tool where the patient holds something in a tube they are sensitive/allergic to, and hold an arm outstretched, and the practitioner can only push the arm down if the item in the tube weakens the patient, thus diagnosing them. Strangely, double blinding the contents of the tube negates the whole diagnostics procedure.

Kinesiology is a legit health science. However, there's some weird bastardization called applied kinesiology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_kinesiology

« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 10:51:39 AM by mindme »
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Niobe

• You betta back down before you get smacked down
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • Sons of Dis!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 01:24:43 PM »
Apologies. Obviously they're about as related as quantum touch is to quantum mechanics.

personate-rain