20 (60.6%)
Hell, yeah for the fame/infamy.
0 (0%)
Hell yeah for the chicks/boy toys.
2 (6.1%)
Hell no, I'm an artist/liar.
5 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Sellout  (Read 5030 times)

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
Sellout
« on: October 07, 2008, 05:01:20 PM »
I'd see out so fucking fast it would make your head spin. Do you know how many experiences, money, fame and chicks those idiots from nsync got? Your either crazy or an idiot if you wouldn't sell out.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Sellout
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 05:28:23 PM »
Yes, yes, yes and yes. I'm sick of being part of the working poor/lower middle class.  I would sell out hard for a few years then lay low and go back to school.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 08:04:49 PM by Misfit of joy »

Offline parallellines

• Well Established
    • The New Technocrat
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 08:03:30 PM »
Getting popular is selling out? So... because a lot more people like you and buy your albums you're a sellout? I never understood that argument, so damn straight I'd sell out!
A skeptical journalist... Seriously!!

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 08:11:14 PM »
Getting popular is selling out? So... because a lot more people like you and buy your albums you're a sellout? I never understood that argument, so damn straight I'd sell out!

No! Don't think that's my definition. If everyone comes around to you, your a genius. If you bend to the whim of the public your a sellout.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 09:27:14 PM »
I would rather sell out (become more popular) while keeping my image and style the same, but if I had to change with a guarantee I'd make more money I would totally do it.

Offline MikeSmith

• Frequent Poster
    • My Strange New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 10:53:05 PM »
There are certain undignified things I think I would rather suffer and die than do.

(I just quit an English class whose teacher's late policy consisted of making students stand up and sing whenever they were late.  I could never give him that satisfaction....)

I think dignity (of a sort, anyway) is very undervalued, and I think musicians and artists and writers don't realize how much they can damage the core makeup of themselves (and of public opinion of them) when they abandon everything just for money.

For instance, I used to really like the band Counting Crows.  Then, they did a Diet Pepsi ad.  Then they let Vanessa Carlton add "mmm-bop-bop-bop" sounds to an already recorded song of theirs, and they made it a single.  Then they veered away from the punky direction they were heading in, straight into overproduced pop.  After that they helped soundtrack Shrek, along with the lamest video ever featuring a CGI Adam Duritz in a bunny suit.  Then they released a a greatest hits album--after only FOUR albums--with the world's lamest bonus tracks.  And then they released yet another disappointing album.  Those guys define sell-out for me now, and it's very hard to fairly judge their music any more as a result.

Also, conversely, it's really impressive and endearing when people don't sell out.  Think of Bill Watterson refusing to let marketers turn "Calvin and Hobbes" into another "Garfield."  That is cool.   And I think it's really admirable in this cynical age of ours.

All this being said, there are certainly degrees of "selling out," and there are probably right and wrong ways, relevant and disheartening ways, in which to do it.  For instance, I think it would be cool to write a book about selling out, and stick advertisements all throughout it, like some paperbacks did in the 1970s.
2012  <---Google Bomb it!

www.mystrangenewmexico.com

Offline hunter

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 01:33:00 AM »
hmmm.. what's that old Iggy Pop quote about how he could care less what people do with his music as long as he never wrote it for that commercialized reason?  something about how they could use his stuff to sell peanut butter for all he cared... which only makes sense if you're familiar with his dinah shore appearance....
"Everybody understands Mickey Mouse. Few understand Hermann Hesse. Hardly anyone understands Albert Einstein. And nobody understands Emperor Norton."

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 11:14:33 AM »
I used to think that "selling out" was something real.  A betrayal. Spitting on your own art...etc...

Then I had to move out of my parents house and earn a living on my own.

Go ahead and sell out!

I agree with Iggy.

Nissan deciding to pay Iggy to use "Lust For Life" in a car ad doesn't make the song any less good....and Iggy deciding to take the money doesn't mean that song doesn't represent something....

it does show that Nissan has no idea what that song is about.......

Maybe they'll use "53rd and 3rd" by the Ramones next....lol....
Well.  There it is.

Offline Jim S

• I demand that you shoot me now!
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 05:50:30 PM »
Here is Maynard's take on it:
(Hooker with a Penis)

I met a boy wearing Vans, 501s, and a
Dope Beastie t, nipple rings, and new tattoos that claimed that
He was OGT, from '92, the first EP.
And in between
Sips of Coke he told me that he thought we were
Sellin' out, layin' down, suckin' up to the man.

Well now I've got some a-dvice for you, little buddy.
Before you point the finger you should know that I'm the man

And if I'm the man
Then you're the man
and he's the man as well so you can
Point that fuckin' finger up your ass.

All you know about me is what I've sold you, dumb fuck.
I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record, dip shit,
And you bought one.

So I've got some advice for you, little buddy.
Before you point your finger you should know that I'm the man,

If I'm the fuckin' man
Then you're the fuckin' man as well
So you can

All you read and wear or see and hear on TV is a product
Begging for your fatass dirty dollar

So...Shut up and
Buy my new record
Send more money
Fuck you, buddy.
A bit of dumb, On a flea, On the wing, On the fly, On the frog, On the bump, On the log, In the hole, In the middle of the sea of awesome.

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 05:53:35 PM »
I thought chicks were the whole fricking point for musicians and nobody has chosen that?

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 06:07:36 PM »
For Sepultura

http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/715jxf_WSNk

edit, not sure why I posted this here but yeah sepultura.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 02:27:21 PM by Misfit of joy »

Offline LeeTheAgent

• Kikyo's other husband.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • >:/ RAWR CRIKEY!
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 07:50:07 PM »
hmmm.. what's that old Iggy Pop quote about how he could care less what people do with his music as long as he never wrote it for that commercialized reason?  something about how they could use his stuff to sell peanut butter for all he cared... which only makes sense if you're familiar with his dinah shore appearance....
Iggy surpasses everything else, he doesn't count. U2 can sell out. Iggy transcends selling out. Like the Sex Pistol's Great Rock n Roll Swindle.
An environment of pervasive credulity is incompatible with a healthy democracy.
<Kikyo> I am implying that you are sexy ;)

Offline Johnny Fahrenheit

• Communist ManiPESTO
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 07:08:55 AM »
Iggy surpasses everything else, he doesn't count. U2 can sell out. Iggy transcends selling out. Like the Sex Pistol's Great Rock n Roll Swindle.

The Sex Pistols are a confusing bunch. As far as we know, they were totally manufactured to be a big-selling band that fit the scene. But at the same time, they were all part of the scene before the band, and at the very least wrote their own songs... And I still like their music, and movie. Can a manufactured band sill make worth-while music? I don't mind The Monkees, either. At the very least, they rebelled against their masters.
Remonstrance@Beleth

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 08:55:55 AM »
Quote from: MikeSmith
I just quit an English class whose teacher's late policy consisted of making students stand up and sing whenever they were late.  I could never give him that satisfaction....

I was going to Craps school many years ago.  The teacher there had the same policy.  I was late a couple of times, but only had to sing the first time.  I sang Eric Idles classic .  I only got about halfway through it.  She didn't want to send me to HR....since it was a policy designed to embarrass employees in the first place.  After that, she didn't make me sing again.

"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 11:29:18 AM »
Here is Maynard's take on it:
(Hooker with a Penis)

I met a boy wearing Vans, 501s, and a
Dope Beastie t, nipple rings, and new tattoos that claimed that
He was OGT, from '92, the first EP.
And in between
Sips of Coke he told me that he thought we were
Sellin' out, layin' down, suckin' up to the man.

Well now I've got some a-dvice for you, little buddy.
Before you point the finger you should know that I'm the man

And if I'm the man
Then you're the man
and he's the man as well so you can

All you know about me is what I've sold you, dumb fuck.
I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record, dip shit,
And you bought one.

So I've got some advice for you, little buddy.
Before you point your finger you should know that I'm the man,

If I'm the fuckin' man
Then you're the fuckin' man as well
So you can

All you read and wear or see and hear on TV is a product
Begging for your fatass dirty dollar

So...Shut up and
Buy my new record
Send more money
Fuck you, buddy.

Haha, I saw this coming before I even opened the thread