20 (60.6%)
Hell, yeah for the fame/infamy.
0 (0%)
Hell yeah for the chicks/boy toys.
2 (6.1%)
Hell no, I'm an artist/liar.
5 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Sellout  (Read 5027 times)

Offline LeeTheAgent

• Kikyo's other husband.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • >:/ RAWR CRIKEY!
    • Facebook
Re: Sellout
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 12:11:07 PM »
hmmm.. what's that old Iggy Pop quote about how he could care less what people do with his music as long as he never wrote it for that commercialized reason?  something about how they could use his stuff to sell peanut butter for all he cared... which only makes sense if you're familiar with his dinah shore appearance....
Iggy surpasses everything else, he doesn't count. U2 can sell out. Iggy transcends selling out. Like the Sex Pistol's Great Rock n Roll Swindle.

The Sex Pistols are a confusing bunch. As far as we know, they were totally manufactured to be a big-selling band that fit the scene. But at the same time, they were all part of the scene before the band, and at the very least wrote their own songs... And I still like their music, and movie. Can a manufactured band sill make worth-while music? I don't mind The Monkees, either. At the very least, they rebelled against their masters.
Love the Monkees too, and I'll defend them anytime... They kept writing after the show was cancelled and had some pretty trippy songs. Though their best songs pretty much were written by others, like Carol King.
An environment of pervasive credulity is incompatible with a healthy democracy.
<Kikyo> I am implying that you are sexy ;)

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 04:53:15 PM »
:P  except for the liar part, i can't see myself "selling out" for any of the reasons listed above.  money, fame and sex-toys i can have without compromising any principles i may or may not have.  besides, i don't want very much of any of those things.  enough money to be comfortable (in the range of $40,000 a year in this economy would serve me well - i'm single, plan on staying that way, and have no extravagant expenses), i do not want to be famous at all, and sex-toys are easy to find - they live on the internet.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline Ampatent

• Well Established
  • Still Working on That Doctorate....
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 12:42:52 AM »
I just saw a cellphone commercial with Ozzy Osbourne in which he texted people so they could understand him...

Offline mlfj4901

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 02:10:02 AM »
My daughter and I just had this conversation.  My advice to her if she was ever confronted with it was to sell out, take the cash, & continue producing the music the record company wanted.  Then with the extra cash she could form an independent label, start a side project band, and conitinue to make the kind of music she wanted while still making money.  In addition she would be able to sign new artists and be willing to take the financial risk by asking them too NOT sell out, thereby helping to change the industry.

OR

She could continue to produce music that held only a handful of people knew about or liked, and never enjoy the personal and artistic freedom that a sucessful well known band has.  Bands like U2 may be a sell out, but can you argue against the freedom that selling out has given Bono to live his life on his terms?
"As a dog returns to it's vomit, so a fool repeats his folly"  Proverbs 26:something or other, yes god is basically telling me I'm a vomiting eating bitch.

Offline LeeTheAgent

• Kikyo's other husband.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • >:/ RAWR CRIKEY!
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 03:24:15 AM »
I can argue against Bono day and night :P Yes, selling out lets you live your life on your terms, if that's all that matters, and your terms are self-grandiose and self-interest. Some bands don't have to sell out, and some never do. At a certain threshold, you have to weigh the consequences of being just another has been who's records no one cares about anymore, or being relevant, even if only to the "underground." Of course, it depends on how far the record companies opinion strays from the artist.
An environment of pervasive credulity is incompatible with a healthy democracy.
<Kikyo> I am implying that you are sexy ;)

Offline mlfj4901

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 04:18:17 AM »
To be honest I don't think of Bono as a sell out, although since most people who are worried about artists being sell outs think he sold his soul long ago I figured he would make a great example of a music artist who is making lots of cash and living life in whatever manner he sees fit, and making his opinions heard by people that have the power to help transform those opinions into reality.

I don't have a problem with artists who don't want to make any money from their art.  If you want to live life by your own terms, I have no problem with that.  I do take issue with those same artists and/or their fans that rip someone else for living life on their own terms.  If all you care about in life is money, then did you ever truly sell out?  If you don't care about money, but only care about your art, then do whatever makes you happy, just make sure when you're complaining about some "sell out" band that it's not just sour grapes because they can afford deoderant and actually get laid.

"As a dog returns to it's vomit, so a fool repeats his folly"  Proverbs 26:something or other, yes god is basically telling me I'm a vomiting eating bitch.

Offline Zabulon

• Fails the Turing-test
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • Foxhole atheist
    • My band
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 05:26:49 AM »
[Tool lyric]

Haha, I saw this coming before I even opened the thread

Me too  8)
In Cod we Trust

Offline Evil Eye

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • THINK!
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 05:43:18 AM »
Metallica sold out, Megadeth sold out... they all sell out. We all sell out, wouldn't ya like ta be a sell-out too?
"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 09:02:20 AM »
Like Jason from Metallica used to say:

"Yep, we sold out.  We sold out every venue, every date, for two straight years"  (Referring to the "Wherever We May Roam" tour...)

At least now they've finally released the album that SHOULD have been the follow up to "And Justice For All..."
Well.  There it is.

Offline Halleyscomet

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 10:21:13 AM »
I'd see out so fucking fast it would make your head spin. Do you know how many experiences, money, fame and chicks those idiots from nsync got? Your either crazy or an idiot if you wouldn't sell out.

Technically, in order to sellout, you need to have some integrity or talent to start with. NSYNC is a poor example.

Offline mlfj4901

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 01:07:32 PM »
Like Jason from Metallica used to say:

"Yep, we sold out.  We sold out every venue, every date, for two straight years"  (Referring to the "Wherever We May Roam" tour...)

At least now they've finally released the album that SHOULD have been the follow up to "And Justice For All..."

I wish Metallica would shut up and just stick to making good music.  Well with "Death Magnetic" they've gotten the second part back at least.  I hate how the band was all up in arms against file sharing when it first came out, and yet Lars practically ran an underground version of napster via tapes when he was younger.  "It's okay for me to steal your music, but it's not okay for you to steal mine" was the attitude I got.  That hypocritical attitude towards money/art is what makes them a sell out in my opinion.  I don't have anything against them selling out mind you, just the self-righteous or maybe self-loathing bit that seemed to go along Metallica's.

personate-rain
personate-rain