Author Topic: Maps are so cool  (Read 62026 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Maps are so cool
« Reply #615 on: December 09, 2016, 02:54:07 PM »
I'd like a map of the world with all of the mythical continents, countries and cities shown.  Not fictional, the ones from back in the day, Atlantis, Hyperborea, etc. 

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #616 on: December 09, 2016, 09:44:51 PM »
.... and the seven cities of gold: Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas...
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Offline Shipwreck

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #617 on: January 03, 2017, 11:23:50 AM »

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #618 on: January 04, 2017, 01:19:36 AM »
I wonder where the Red Dog  movies are on the map.
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #619 on: January 04, 2017, 01:58:13 AM »
I love that map, but it seems that they've made no distinction between groups and divisions based on language, tribe, clan, etc.  It's hard to know how to interpret a map like this.  It's like creating a map of the US divided up into non-overlapping areas some of which are states, some congressional districts, and some counties.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #620 on: January 04, 2017, 02:04:16 AM »
I love that map, but it seems that they've made no distinction between groups and divisions based on language, tribe, clan, etc.

That's largely because the groupings themselves can be ambiguous. So much so that the general word "community" is usually used, rather than clan, tribe, etc.

Online Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #621 on: January 04, 2017, 12:35:41 PM »

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • So it goes.
« Reply #622 on: January 09, 2017, 10:00:26 PM »

Map of how animals will migrate to avoid the climate change.

http://www.audubon.org/news/these-amazing-maps-show-how-wildlife-will-migrate-survive-climate-change

WRONG.  Animals live in tiny pockets of ecosystem surrounded by mono-cultures and suburban/urban sprawl.  Migration won't be an option, adaption is orders of magnitude too slow, extinction will happen.  Species extinction rates are already three times higher than historical averages. #greatdying #doomed

To get around these obstructions, animals will need natural pathways, known as wildlife corridors, that people create by connecting isolated habitats. But before we can identify and plan these pathways, we first need to know what routes the animals will take.
which is exactly what the article says (having now actually looked at it :P )  We will not be creating these pathways, there is no political will.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #623 on: January 10, 2017, 05:06:18 PM »
Some are migrating to higher ground, the only option they have.

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
    • http://gmalivuk.livejournal.com
« Reply #624 on: January 11, 2017, 11:18:33 PM »
Gapminder.org has some pretty fascinating data visualizations, and while the map version isn't in my opinion the most interesting way to view most of the data, it is the one that fits this thread. (I like the bubble charts myself, as you can see three different statistics at once for each country, and animate the whole display over time.) One interesting thing to do with the map is show by life expectancy and then animate it (press the play button at the bottom left) to see countries pulse with wars and famine, and to see everywhere in the world shrink a bit around 1918.

I noticed someone else already linked to windytv.com, which I haven't gotten a chance to explore much, but my goto global atmospheric and oceanic animated map is still this one.

Another example I could use. I can go to my nearest beach and stand on a point where due west there is nothing (but water) between me and Argentina, and due south, nothing between me and Antarctica.
Both of these can be shown to children on a Mercator projection map of the world or a globe. But it would be hard for them to visualise that on the map above. It is too distorted to be usable.
Well sure, as was already acknowledged that map distorts or breaks up the oceans, so obviously it's not the one you should use to point out oceanic facts. Meanwhile one of the few useful things about Mercator is that it does preserve bearings in every direction.

(Of course, the "straight line" great circle path starting due west from Perth hits Madagascar and then Tanzania. You have to start out at a bearing of 185º to go directly to Buenos Aires from there.)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 11:31:34 PM by gmalivuk »
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #625 on: February 07, 2017, 11:04:33 PM »
http://www.torontohydro.com/SITES/ELECTRICSYSTEM/POWEROUTAGES/Pages/OutageMap.aspx

We have an ice storm going on right now. Not as bad as the one a few years ago, but not a great time.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online estockly

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #626 on: March 02, 2017, 04:00:19 PM »
What's up with South Carolina?
The Largest Religion In Every State Other Than Christianity
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #627 on: March 02, 2017, 04:01:57 PM »
Shame it doesn't have the percentages

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
    • http://gmalivuk.livejournal.com
« Reply #628 on: March 02, 2017, 04:25:56 PM »
While there is a Wikipedia article on Baha'i in SC, I have a hard time believing 25% of American Baha'is live there, which would be necessary for them to outnumber Jews.
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #629 on: March 10, 2017, 10:15:22 PM »

personate-rain