Author Topic: Maps are so cool  (Read 79601 times)

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
Re: Maps are so cool
« Reply #660 on: April 27, 2019, 12:40:15 AM »
I believe they were drawn in the game Mini Metro

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #661 on: April 28, 2019, 05:29:35 PM »
That's interesting, but it is not very illuminating IMO, because it neglects the effects of the jet stream, of elevation, and of the tempering influence of the Mediterranean. There are differences between Italy, for instance, and the states of Colorado and Wyoming that go far beyond and are far more significant than the influence of latitude.
The Gulf Stream is a big thing in keeping Europe from being another Canada.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #662 on: May 08, 2019, 12:11:32 AM »
That's interesting, but it is not very illuminating IMO, because it neglects the effects of the jet stream, of elevation, and of the tempering influence of the Mediterranean. There are differences between Italy, for instance, and the states of Colorado and Wyoming that go far beyond and are far more significant than the influence of latitude.
The Gulf Stream is a big thing in keeping Europe from being another Canada.
...hey!
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Awatsjr

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #663 on: May 08, 2019, 08:59:03 AM »
At first I thought it was the major highways from the few I recognized until I realized many mass transit systems follow major highways. Interesting collection for sure.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #665 on: May 08, 2019, 12:39:56 PM »
These two accounts actually have a lot of neat stuff:

https://twitter.com/amazingmap/status/1122208555526914048
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #666 on: May 08, 2019, 12:53:32 PM »
I love both of those accounts so much.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #667 on: May 08, 2019, 02:36:09 PM »
Can't figure out how to embed this one - construction fatalities, with clickable markers on the web page:

http://stopconstructionfalls.com/fatality-map/

Amend and resubmit.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #668 on: May 09, 2019, 05:04:30 PM »
Parkinson's rate by county.

This points to some kind of environmental correlation, but nobody's been able to identify what it is.

Definitely goes up with age; ethnicity, sex, and genetics are also factors.

I think that unless you control for age, ethnicity and sex, this map is uninterpretable.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #669 on: May 09, 2019, 05:34:14 PM »

This points to some kind of environmental correlation, but nobody's been able to identify what it is.

I think that unless you control for age, ethnicity and sex, this map is uninterpretable.

About 20 years ago I saw a medical presentation where the hypothesis was that Parkinsons was strongly correlated with people working with hydrocarbons (gas and other fuels).

This map doesn't do anything to contradict that.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #670 on: May 09, 2019, 05:38:02 PM »

About 20 years ago I saw a medical presentation where the hypothesis was that Parkinsons was strongly correlated with people working with hydrocarbons (gas and other fuels).

Correlations are ubiquitous.  Nearly all of them are spurious.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #671 on: May 09, 2019, 08:01:08 PM »

This seems more substantial than a knee-jerk reaction would suggest.

Hydrocarbon exposure and Parkinson's disease. - PubMed - NCBI

Parkinson's disease, chronic hydrocarbon exposure and striatal neuronal damage: a 1-H MRS study. - PubMed - NCBI

Hydrocarbon exposure and Parkinson’s disease | Neurology

Systematic review and meta-analysis of hydrocarbon exposure and the risk of Parkinson's disease. - PubMed - NCBI

This systematic review supports a positive association between hydrocarbon exposure and PD. Data from prospective studies are required to reinforce the relationship between hydrocarbon exposure and PD.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #672 on: May 09, 2019, 08:34:13 PM »

Parkinson's disease, chronic hydrocarbon exposure and striatal neuronal damage: a 1-H MRS study. - PubMed - NCBI

Systematic review and meta-analysis of hydrocarbon exposure and the risk of Parkinson's disease. - PubMed - NCBI

This systematic review supports a positive association between hydrocarbon exposure and PD. Data from prospective studies are required to reinforce the relationship between hydrocarbon exposure and PD.

I have no opinion on the effect of hydrocarbon exposure on risk of developing PD.  What I am saying is that the map is useless as evidence for any exposure–disease relationship, because it has (apparently) not been corrected for known confounders.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #673 on: May 09, 2019, 10:01:14 PM »

I have no opinion on the effect of hydrocarbon exposure on risk of developing PD.  What I am saying is that the map is useless as evidence for any exposure–disease relationship, because it has (apparently) not been corrected for known confounders.

I see that now. And don't disagree with you about the map. I was a little confused who was saying what.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #674 on: June 23, 2019, 12:06:39 AM »
This is an interesting chart that allows one to visualize the widths, depths and breadths the Great Lakes and their flow to the sea.  The horizontal axis is obviously on a vastly different scale, and one must keep in mind that the depths and breadths are at their widest and deepest; but still it gives me a perspective I’d never had.

In particular, I’d never thought of the bottoms of the lakes being below sea level.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain