Author Topic: "L"ARPing in IRC  (Read 6673 times)

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
"L"ARPing in IRC
« on: October 10, 2008, 05:41:05 PM »
Has anyone every played an RPG via IRC before?

I am wondering if it would be interesting.

I never got into D&D, but was a huge Shadowrun, Vampire, Werewolf, Marvel Universe and MERP in my younger days.

EDITED TO ADD PLAYER LISTS

Interested to play:
wastrel
DarthCaitSith
Karyn
Black Magic
parallellines
SimmaDonna
√ėyvind

For later:
pandamonium
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 03:54:51 PM by wastrel »

Offline DarthCaitSith

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Cat Moogle
Re: "L"ARPing in IRC
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 06:48:43 PM »
tried a couple times, just doesn't seem the same as face to face playing.

So i just find local games to play.

I suppose there are a lot of tools and stuff out now that would help, and maybe a voice chat would make it cool.

Anyone wanna set up a online gaming session?
--Joseph

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 07:26:14 PM »
I would totally be up for this.  The problem is trusting people to be honest about their rolls :P

Offline DarthCaitSith

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Cat Moogle
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 08:13:17 PM »
there are tools you can use to network everyone together and roll off a trusted server, usually the GM i think
--Joseph

Offline whitedevilbrewing

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 03:29:51 AM »
doesn't IRC have a /random or dice roll command?  I thought it did.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 03:31:52 AM »
!!!  when i'm out of school (for breaks and crap) i'd be absolutely down for this.  but i'm unreliable for the next coupla months - 'cause of, you know, responsibilities and crap.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline Simma

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Our hiking blog.
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 08:52:55 AM »
!!!  when i'm out of school (for breaks and crap) i'd be absolutely down for this.  but i'm unreliable for the next coupla months - 'cause of, you know, responsibilities and crap.

Ditto.  I would love to get back into RPGing, but I don't know where to find a group.  A kid in my Practicum plays on Sundays and Tuesdays, but they are in the middle of a Camalot style campaign right now.  I will see if he invites me; I won't ask.  They might be a close knit group of HS friends.  Trying this IRC thing might be fun.
"That's because, they're a bunch of stubborn, root sucking, jackasses ...holding onto traditions, that are a thousand years old!" - Colonel Tigh

Offline wastrel

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 03:35:04 PM »
What would people want to play?

Offline DarthCaitSith

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Cat Moogle
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 04:02:27 PM »
well I play a lot of d&d i have a lot of 3 & 3.5 books, and some 4th (though that would probably not work too well online, too tactically oriented). I have lots of white wolf game books, but have only played mage. I have a few  shadowrun books, and am willing to try anything new.
--Joseph

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • God Emeritus
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 05:43:07 PM »
I've played IRC rpgs for years when I was a teenager, especially games centered on the V:tM and Requiem rulesets and worlds. It's dead tricky - you need a rock solid set of rules to begin with, and enforcing those rules gets progressively harder as more people join the game. A skilled moderator who is willing to put loads of effort into the game is also a necessity. If you don't have someone like that - someone with the ability to weave interesting plots and the time to do so regularly - the game's bound to end as an 'in-character chatroom' - one of the most boring things on Earth (usually a 'tavern' or some such shit).
One of the main problems would be keeping the group of players small enough. If you don't have any face-to-face interaction, herding a group of more than, say, 4 players through a game in an IRC channel is a hard job.
Then, there are considerations about descriptions - players who have the urge to type up long-ass descriptions have to be curtailed, lest the whole thing doesn't end in a semi-literary pissing contest.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline Black_Magic

• Forum Troll
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Woody dies in "Toy Story 3" :o
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 06:04:40 PM »
Nerds!!

... I'm in  :P
Big Brother* is watching you!

*beleth

Offline parallellines

• Well Established
    • The New Technocrat
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 12:28:54 AM »
I played D&D when I was 12. So...

I want in. I've been wanting to play an RPG for the longest time, but the friends of mine who would do it are too lazy to do it :(
A skeptical journalist... Seriously!!

Offline wastrel

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 03:28:43 PM »
I played D&D when I was 12. So...

I want in. I've been wanting to play an RPG for the longest time, but the friends of mine who would do it are too lazy to do it :(

Same here, that's what made me think to ask here.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 03:50:17 PM »
I think we should get a list of people who are interested in playing and running games, and then split them into smaller groups.  We can put a time limit on the game, and each group can come up with a schedule that works for them.  The one running the game gets to choose the campaign setting.  At the end of the time, we pick up more people or drop a few and reorganize the group.  This allows new players to come in, and the opportunity to play with different people.  So if we got 12 people that wanted to do it, and 2 people willing to run, we'd have 2 games going with a time limit of 2 months that would meet every Sunday for 3 hours.  Or something like that.

Offline Simma

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Our hiking blog.
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 11:15:01 PM »
What would people want to play?

I think D&D would probably be a best bet to start with.  Karyn's suggestion is great and allows for more than one game to be played.  Some of us (not me) might have time to play more than one option.

One thing that confused me.  I was under the impression that we would be talking to each other as the game carried on with mikes, but it appears from reading replies that we would be typing our roles and rolls.
"That's because, they're a bunch of stubborn, root sucking, jackasses ...holding onto traditions, that are a thousand years old!" - Colonel Tigh

personate-rain