Author Topic: "L"ARPing in IRC  (Read 6385 times)

Offline Simma

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Our hiking blog.
Re: "L"ARPing in IRC
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2008, 07:14:12 PM »
Has anyone here ever played Rifts.  I owned it when I was a kid, but never got around to playing it.  It looked like a fun game though.

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/WhatIsRifts.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifts
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 07:16:02 PM by SimmaDonna »
"That's because, they're a bunch of stubborn, root sucking, jackasses ...holding onto traditions, that are a thousand years old!" - Colonel Tigh

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2008, 07:16:16 PM »
I haven't played it, looks interesting.

Although that did jog my memory on a few games I made up a few starting characters but only played once or twice.

GammaWorld, Paladin, TMNT (plus a few expansions) and Robotech.

Offline Simma

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Our hiking blog.
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2008, 07:30:10 PM »
Looks like there might be a movie according to the Wiki.

Rifts Movie
   This article or section relies largely or entirely upon a single source.
Please help improve this article by introducing appropriate citations of additional sources. (November 2007)

According to a March 2004 press release, film producer Jerry Bruckheimer and writer David Franzoni became interested in creating a Rifts movie.[7] According to the Palladium Web site, Franzoni is working on a script for the production.

In a January 2007 press release[8] and a February interview,[2] Siembieda reported that the movie option had been renewed for another year. In a November 2007 press release,[9] it was announced that, due to the ongoing writer's strike, the movie option would be renewed for another year and that currently the script is expected to be written by admitted Rifts fan, Rawson Marshall Thurber. Nothing presents on this director's official web site pointing to him writing a script for Rifts.

I think a Rifts movie would be really frikken sweet.  Even though I never actually played it, the setting I think is awesome.  I just hope it doesn't come off like Johnny Mnemonic.
"That's because, they're a bunch of stubborn, root sucking, jackasses ...holding onto traditions, that are a thousand years old!" - Colonel Tigh

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2008, 07:31:41 PM »
Alright....slightly more back on topic...lets come up with a mechanism for running this game.  We can create a room off irc for it.  Someone said something about running a safe server for the dice roll.   I'm not sure there is anything else needed.

Offline Simma

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Our hiking blog.
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2008, 07:35:20 PM »
We need to pick a night that everyone can play.  Wednesdays are best for me.  Also, we still haven't decided exactly what game, although I think D&D seems to be the default game. 

Online wastrel

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2008, 07:40:07 PM »
I'm fine with D&D.

I'll need to draw up a character though.

Were we going to do IRC, I thought people wanted voiced enabled chat?

Offline Simma

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Our hiking blog.
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2008, 07:43:07 PM »
Which edition of D&D.  I have, ahem, access to 4th and some 3.5.  Also, what kind of campaign setting we are so we can focus our characters.

Online wastrel

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2008, 07:47:32 PM »
As far as what night, I can make pretty much any night work, with some advance knowledge.

A Wednesday would be fine.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2008, 02:21:30 AM »
I have 3.5 rules and teamspeak.  Vinterloo or whatever it is will not work for me when I'm at home because I'm on Ubuntu.  Lzrd has a teamspeak server I think he will let us use.  I'll ask him.

Offline Simma

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Our hiking blog.
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2008, 07:49:06 AM »
I have 3.5 rules and teamspeak.  Vinterloo or whatever it is will not work for me when I'm at home because I'm on Ubuntu.  Lzrd has a teamspeak server I think he will let us use.  I'll ask him.

I am sorry, but I do not know what Vinterloo and Lzrd are.  A quick Google search told me that Ubunto was some kind of Linux based browser or something.  Do we need to download a program to play?

Edit:  Should I pick up just the Players Handbook, or is there anything else that I need?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 07:54:41 AM by SimmaDonna »

Offline Simma

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Our hiking blog.
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2008, 11:42:07 AM »
Wizards have post a bunch of older DnD stuff, modules and adventures and such, for downloading.  It is not 3.5 but I bet it can be translated easy enough.  I am downloading some now to take a looksee.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Edit:  Ha ha ha, I now have the 2nd edition The Horde Barbarian campaign setting!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 11:49:28 AM by SimmaDonna »

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2008, 12:12:35 PM »

I am sorry, but I do not know what Vinterloo and Lzrd are.  A quick Google search told me that Ubunto was some kind of Linux based browser or something.  Do we need to download a program to play?

Edit:  Should I pick up just the Players Handbook, or is there anything else that I need?

Lzrd is a board member that almost never posts that already has a teamspeak server up and running.  He is in Finland, so using his server while he is asleep would probably be fine.  Vinterloo, or however you spell it is an other program that allows several people to talk over the internet.  Ubuntu is an operating system, and does not always support the programs I would like to use.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2008, 12:33:16 PM »
Okay...talked to Lzrd about this a little.  I'm going to set up a teamspeak client on my box at home, and then we can all connect to it on Wed for the speaking portion of the game.  It will be next week before I can do that.  I'll post the information about how to connect when I get it set up.

Offline Simma

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Our hiking blog.
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2008, 01:47:36 PM »
I downloaded a buttload of adventures from that link I posted.  I don't know what good it will do.  I couldn't find a 3.5 at the store, so would creating a 4e character screw things up?  I am looking.  Also, what parameters are should we use when rolling up a character?

Offline DarthCaitSith

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Cat Moogle
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2008, 02:07:27 PM »
4th edition is completly different from 3.5, there is no way to use a 4th ed character playing 3.5 the rules are too different.
--Joseph

personate-rain