Author Topic: Digital Rights Management (DRM)  (Read 5333 times)

Offline hunter

• Frequent Poster
Re: Digital Rights Management (DRM)
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2008, 05:33:45 PM »
assuming you're going to check out music for "trial" purposes... yeah that's the ticket

http://shareaza.sourceforge.net/

Shareaza- Gnutella1/2, Edonkey, and a bit-torrent client all in one open source package.  Basically, the only thing lacking is slsk access.  Use this link and for the love of jeebus, never use shareaza.com.  It's music industry spyware- avoid avoid avoid.  Edonkey has a slight learning curve for learning what best ways to search, but great for discographies and albums.  In the odd chance I'd want single song satisfaction, I'd use the Gnutella1/2 networks.  It'll search all 3 as long as your logged in to each network.  Been using it for years with only the mildest of complaints, mainly just the odd bug.
"Everybody understands Mickey Mouse. Few understand Hermann Hesse. Hardly anyone understands Albert Einstein. And nobody understands Emperor Norton."

Offline Evil Eye

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • THINK!
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 07:40:16 AM »
Thanks!
"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2008, 12:58:25 PM »
excellent :D But for those who don't want to cross that line, Amazon is DRM free and has a lot of good stuff. 
Thanks to the RIAA stupid obsession with control and domination, Amazon can't sell un-DRMed music outside the US, which forces me, as well as a lot of others like me out there, to pirate. Great, isn't it? :)

And don't forget about US TV shows, right? No US cable, hard to find and region-coded DVD's. And IIRC, Hulu and the like is still blocked in non US countries. Good old-fashioned US isolationism.

Buncha crap.

I bought a program for 12 bucks that removes ALL drm from any type of music file and saves it as an unprotected mp3 at any bitrate I want.

Hasn't failed yet.

Windows Media or iTunes? Or both?

I got the entire Eric Clapton collection in a single Bit Torrent.... but it's a pain in the ass when no one is sharing.

Sadly, most muggles use Gnutella (the protocol that Limewire uses). If you think Bittorrent is slow and annoying, you should try Gnutella. Because of the way Bittorrent works, it allows people to upload the bits they already have, and get different bits from other incomplete downloads. It takes a lot of loads off the seeds and makes the whole thing a lot better.

So stop hating on Bittorrent...or I'll make you walk the plank.

Offline Evil Eye

• THINK!
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 10:47:03 PM »
Shareaza works wonderful! 3 songs I was looking for in less than a minute!

YAY!

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 06:01:01 PM »

YAY!

Enjoy the trial.  Be sure to pick up the original CD soon

<_<
>_>

Offline Evil Eye

• THINK!
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 06:35:14 PM »

YAY!

<_<
>_>

LOL.... why pay for 14 other songs I don't want?

If you wanted one egg, why pay for a dozen?

Do you pay for the book you get from the library? Yes.. I know... you don't keep the book.... but you do download it... to your brain.

bad analogy... but I feel no guilt.

If I really like the music... I may preview and DL the music from i-tunes so I get the album art with it.

Offline wastrel

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 07:42:27 PM »

YAY!

<_<
>_>

LOL.... why pay for 14 other songs I don't want?

If you wanted one egg, why pay for a dozen?

Do you pay for the book you get from the library? Yes.. I know... you don't keep the book.... but you do download it... to your brain.

bad analogy... but I feel no guilt.

If I really like the music... I may preview and DL the music from i-tunes so I get the album art with it.

Since I'm sure no one related to the site management would want to be seen as endorsing any sort of illegal distribution of copyrighted material, I will reiterate...

;)

Offline hunter

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 07:55:19 PM »
hey, for all I know he could be downloading public domain material.  just remember otherwise.. *trial purposes*
"Everybody understands Mickey Mouse. Few understand Hermann Hesse. Hardly anyone understands Albert Einstein. And nobody understands Emperor Norton."

Offline Evil Eye

• THINK!
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 06:15:09 AM »
Unless I am mistaken, I believe downloading isn't what is illegal. Sharing is. And I have that option tuned off.

Offline DK

• Dave, my mind is going.
  • Too Much Spare Time
    • My Blog: Self-Indulgent Navel Gazing
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 04:22:09 PM »
Well, looks like sense has won at last.

Apple to remove DRM from iTunes. I wonder if the stuff I've bought off them in the last year will now be stripped?

Offline wastrel

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 04:23:41 PM »
Well, looks like sense has won at last.

Apple to remove DRM from iTunes. I wonder if the stuff I've bought off them in the last year will now be stripped?

\o/

Offline DK

• Dave, my mind is going.
  • Too Much Spare Time
    • My Blog: Self-Indulgent Navel Gazing
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 12:03:26 PM »
Well, looks like Apple with remove DRM from songs you have already bought through iTunes. You just have to pay for it.

Works out about 20% of the album price, but considering I've already paid for the damn songs its a bit rich.

I know Jobs is ill and all, but do I really have to pay for his medical care?

Offline Iconoclast

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 11:13:59 AM »
First came the LP. No one copying those.
Then the 8-track, no piracy there.
The tape- people started making copies but the quality was crap.
The CD- no pirating originally, until the CD-R hit computers. An albumn was still like $20 on CD and everyone was building busy their CD library. Nevermind that it was destined to be obsolete technology, you couldn't really pirate it and it was expensive. Quality man!
Then ripping music. Albumn prices fall to $10 to compete with "stolen".  The industry adds some mild DRM to help slow the piracy. Doesn't prevent you from using it on 5 machines or devices and doesn't even stop you from making it DRM free.
Now everyone wants music for free, anytime. Doesn't matter that someone owns the intellectual property. Hey, you were happy to pay $20 for a $0.05 plastic disc ten years ago and now cheap isn't even good enough. Might as well ask Clapton to come play in your livingroom for free. But when the industry tries to stop people from stealing its product, you find this wrong?

I don't understand the hatred for DRM. Does the artist/music co have any rights?
"Everyone should try to end the day a little smarter than they began it" - Warren Buffet
www.thelongrunblog.com - Critical Thinking on Money, Finance and Economics
"it is a mind over bladder thing" - Stonequarry

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2009, 11:26:35 AM »
Hey, you were happy to pay $20 for a $0.05 plastic disc ten years ago and now cheap isn't even good enough.

Well yeah, ten years ago a CD was a great deal. And a hundred years ago a cylinder phonograph was the hottest thing around. I don't content myself with what was adequate a hundred years ago, and I see no reason whatsoever to content myself with what was adequate ten years ago either. Either they can get with the progress or they'll be left behind.

I don't understand the hatred for DRM. Does the artist/music co have any rights?

Yes, they do. And they waive them in exchange for my money. Either I can do with the file what I want, when I want, play it on whatever I want, or else tough noogies, I'm not buying.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 11:28:44 AM by Sordid »

Offline Iconoclast

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2009, 11:43:34 AM »
Hey, you were happy to pay $20 for a $0.05 plastic disc ten years ago and now cheap isn't even good enough.

Well yeah, ten years ago a CD was a great deal. And a hundred years ago a cylinder phonograph was the hottest thing around. I don't content myself with what was adequate a hundred years ago, and I see no reason whatsoever to content myself with what was adequate ten years ago either. Either they can get with the progress or they'll be left behind.
But you accepted that the LP or CD was going to be an obsolete technology in 10 years, why can't you accept that aac will be too? If you bought that CD to replace the LP, then what's the big deal buying the next technology to replace aac?

Yes, they do. And they waive them in exchange for my money. Either I can do with the file what I want, when I want, play it on whatever I want, or else tough noogies, I'm not buying.
No, you are demanding they drop their rights for your money. They said no, it only comes with rights. So don't buy, no one is forcing you to, they are offering a product you don't want. But stealing it is still stealing.
"Everyone should try to end the day a little smarter than they began it" - Warren Buffet
www.thelongrunblog.com - Critical Thinking on Money, Finance and Economics
"it is a mind over bladder thing" - Stonequarry

personate-rain