Author Topic: Church of Reality  (Read 726 times)

Offline RodolfoHermans

• Brand New
Church of Reality
« on: October 16, 2008, 01:40:33 PM »
Personally I think that only free thinkers fully appreciate reality, and organizing free thinkers under a church may be as difficult as herding cats, yet here there is an apparently serious effort to create a organized congregation of reality worshiping.

Probably one of the good points of the "gospel" (good news) is that what we define as "sacred" (Worthy of respect; venerable) is our own choice  and defining reality as "sacred" is a damn good decision in so many levels.

Assuming that at least some percentage of the current members of faith-based  religions are there only because they need someone telling them what to think and do, or to be part of a group, or to answer some fundamental questions, then organizing a church-style reality worshiping, may not be such a bad idea after all.

I think this deserves being mentioned in the program.

A quote:

"Science is simply common sense at its best; that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic".
Thomas Henry Huxley, The Crayfish

Offline AdrianPatrick

• Off to a Start
  • Realitivist UK
    • UK Pop Artist Adrian Patrick www.adrianpatrick.co.uk
Re: Church of Reality
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 02:49:45 PM »
The Cosmic Microwave Background as its 'stained glass windows'.... A similar idea is a religion based on science.  Though this kind of thing garners some controversy I think the idea should at least be explored before being completely discounted. And hey, there are tax breaks!!

(Though I haven't really read much from him yet I seem to remember a Carl Sagan quote regarding a religion based on science being able to bring forth wonder as yet unknown something or other etc.... can't quite remember how it goes.)

Source: http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/09/can-science-rep.html?npu=1&mbid=yhp
Facebook Page:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Adrian-Patrick/8071427590 Just let me know you are from this forum and I'll let you have 20% off any commissions/sales

personate-rain
personate-rain