Author Topic: Stephen Hawking - A Brief History of Time (1988)  (Read 3097 times)

Offline MikeSmith

• Frequent Poster
    • My Strange New Mexico
Re: I just read A Brief History Of Time
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 01:54:32 AM »
Well, I didn't dislike it, but there are better books on the subject.  A lesser-read contemporary is "The Whole Shebang" by Tim Ferris, which I like a lot better.  Hawking's writing gets dense and confusing when he gets into the deep stuff.  I think he goes too deep- you can understand the idea and stay a little more shallow, and the book would be much more readable.  Ferris succeeds in that aspect.  The book is a bit old and outdated, but worth a read if you keep that in mind.

Cool.  I have that.  I'll be reading it in 2009, for my "Year of the Big Bang." 

I figure after I read twelve books on the subject, one a month, I'll have a pretty good basic understanding of what we thinks happened and how we know it.

As for Stephen Hawking, I think the book of his I've enjoyed more than any other is Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays; it's awesome.  Also, I really liked the recorded "The Theory of Everything," which was kind of bootleg and was put out without his approval.
2012  <---Google Bomb it!

www.mystrangenewmexico.com

Offline whitedevilbrewing

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 02:59:08 AM »
I liked Black Holes and Baby Universes Etc too.  It seemed more coherent overall.  It's been a long time since I read it though.  Bummer about these books is that they go out of date pretty quickly.

Offline MikeSmith

• Frequent Poster
    • My Strange New Mexico
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 03:01:41 AM »
I liked Black Holes and Baby Universes Etc too.  It seemed more coherent overall.  It's been a long time since I read it though.  Bummer about these books is that they go out of date pretty quickly.

Cool.  And that's true, but fortunately a lot of them update and revise, too.

By the way, great post signature.  I couldn't agree more.

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 03:22:28 AM »
lol oh ya, forgot I did that.  Looks like he popped up again so I guess I'll keep it a lil while longer.

Offline MikeSmith

• Frequent Poster
    • My Strange New Mexico
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 03:41:10 AM »
lol oh ya, forgot I did that.  Looks like he popped up again so I guess I'll keep it a lil while longer.

He's got a lot fewer threads going though lately, and that does make me happy.

Offline slicendice

• Well Established
  • 4d3d3d3
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 04:12:32 AM »
I read it a number of years ago, it made my head asplode at the time, I might try re-reading it now and see what more I can absorb.
Purple is a fruit

Offline Frank

• Seasoned Contributor
  • It'll be tea-riffic
    • The Account of a Lifetime
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 11:59:23 AM »
Ooh, I agree on Black Holes & Baby Universes. I read that during the later stages of fifth year (a good few months before I turned seventeen) and was immensely amused to see what, until then, I thought was 'my idea' for deterministic universe. That is: bored, during my higher chemistry exam I realised that by simply knowing all the details about everything, we ought to be able to simply plot the courses, like on a graph, and work out the entire future (and past) of the universe!

Of course, that fell flat soon after, but I was very happy to see the idea come up (and fall apart) in BH&BUs. I do like books that are just collections of folks' essays and things. Douglas Adams' The Salmnot of Doubt is similar in a more humourous and pint-of-beer philisophy style.
"...a sensibly dressed young man with a sensible name."
http://xisor.wordpress.com/

Offline MikeSmith

• Frequent Poster
    • My Strange New Mexico
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 03:42:34 PM »
Ooh, I agree on Black Holes & Baby Universes. I read that during the later stages of fifth year (a good few months before I turned seventeen) and was immensely amused to see what, until then, I thought was 'my idea' for deterministic universe. That is: bored, during my higher chemistry exam I realised that by simply knowing all the details about everything, we ought to be able to simply plot the courses, like on a graph, and work out the entire future (and past) of the universe!

Of course, that fell flat soon after, but I was very happy to see the idea come up (and fall apart) in BH&BUs. I do like books that are just collections of folks' essays and things. Douglas Adams' The Salmnot of Doubt is similar in a more humourous and pint-of-beer philisophy style.

I just love science and skepticism.  Why doesn't everyone think about this stuff--all the time?

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • So it goes.
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 06:33:46 PM »
I just love science and skepticism.  Why doesn't everyone think about this stuff--all the time?

People don't think about things.  Oh, they think.  They think about who's sleeping behind who's back, what to pick up at the store tomorrow, how much they don't like that Johnson kid with the lazy eye....

Offline MikeSmith

• Frequent Poster
    • My Strange New Mexico
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 11:34:40 PM »

People don't think about things.  Oh, they think.  They think about who's sleeping behind who's back, what to pick up at the store tomorrow, how much they don't like that Johnson kid with the lazy eye....

There should reading be different words for the different sorts of thinking.

Just as there should be different words for "reading" as in "reading a John Grisham novel" or reading as in "reading something intelligent and/or challenging."

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 03:14:36 AM »
Thinking hurts.

I didn't believe this until recently.  Leaning stuff really hurts when you have to do it for hours on end.  Maybe it's stressful if you're not used to it.

Offline Evil Eye

• THINK!
Re: Stephen Hawking - A Brief History of Time (1988)
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 08:33:03 AM »
A Brief History of time has been updated since he changed some of his thinking.

I Have "A Briefer History of Time" <not a joke.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 11:05:21 AM by Evil Eye »
"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.

personate-rain
personate-rain