Poll

How do you like the format of SGU?

Add more topics and spend less time on each topic.
6 (2.8%)
Add more humor and witty banter
20 (9.2%)
It's just right - don't change a thing
192 (88.1%)

Total Members Voted: 206

Voting closed: February 22, 2007, 12:35:32 PM

Author Topic: SGU Poll 1  (Read 43008 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
SGU Poll 1
« on: February 22, 2007, 12:35:32 PM »
In an effort to quantify some of the constructive feedback we have been getting, we are going to run a number of polls, starting with this one. Please answer honestly, this is our attempt to fine-tune the show. We understand that forum denizens are a select group of listeners, and those who answer this poll are also self-selected - so this is not a representative sample of our listeners. But it is likely to be a good overall indication.

Don't worry if this poll does not contain a choice that you like - there will be other polls. If you have a question you would like to have asked, then add it here as a suggestion.

Thanks.
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline Ivan Lysenko

• Off to a Start
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 12:51:58 PM »
Personally I have not minded the banter much. Granted it mostly depends on my mood and thus nothing you need to worry about. Really for me its the happier and more energized you guys are the better the podcast.
urprised cyclopes :idea:

Offline IRON MAN

• Well Established
    • http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/member.php?u=1292
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 09:39:13 PM »
I selected, "It's just right - don't change a thing", because that's generally the gut feeling I have.  

The chemistry between you guys is awesome.  The fact that none of you try to steal the limelight from one another seems to be either a fortunate coincidence, or excellent editing.

Some major changes I have seen suggested, including the introduction of additional personalities, would almost certainly threaten the natural pacing and interaction you have going on at the moment.

So that's not to say the show should not gradually and naturally change, evolve and try new ideas every now and then, but personally I think you don't want to be too blasé about changing the format, or change it too quickly like Kent Hovind's cat giving birth to a dog.
i]I suck at archaic languages.  I don't understand Latin et al.[/i]

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 09:57:54 PM »
I voted the same.

IRON MAN pretty much summed up exactly what I think.  The show is absolutely wonderful the way it is.  Of course, it will evolve, and changes are inevitable, but I think the current format of the show is perfect.

I would rather you not "change it too quickly like Kent Hovind's cat giving birth to a dog.". ;)

That sounds like a perfect photoshop image subject IM :)
"We're just so damn exciting." - Dr. Steven Novella, MD

Offline ATGreat

• Not Enough Spare Time
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 10:39:46 PM »
I voted "It's just right..." also, but I do want to qualify that a bit.

First off, I don't see those choices as being mutually exclusive. Why can't you have more but shorter topics AND a little more humor? Those two sound like a natural match.

On the other hand, why can't the choice be more topics on a busy news week and fewer topics on a slow week? Or go back to old topics on a week with no guest?

I'm guessing that you are trying to figure out how to edit the show to keep it within the 1:15 time limit, so I'm sure that fun stuff is getting cut because it goes off topic. And I'm trying to think of how to tell you to edit the show so that it's just like it is now but better.

I got nothin. It's like telling a painter how much red to use...

All I will say is that I do want to hear enough of a topic that I understand the issue and why all of you are talking about it. And I want to hear the banter of people bringing science and smart-ass commentary to the subject.

Editing is an artistic balancing act, and I think you are dong a fine job. I would love to tell you how to do it better, but unless you try it different ways and hear us scream about it afterward, no one will know if it's better or not that way. So try an episode with shorter topics. Try an episode with more smart-ass commentary. If you don't notice a difference, then have one of the other rogues edit two or three episodes and see what they come up with. Play with it and see what happens. I'll be back the week after...

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 01:14:40 AM »
The only thing I would change is bring back the spot the logical fallacy bit. The shows with guests are the best ones. James Oberg I'm tellin' you you gotta get.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Gilnei

• Well Established
  • Resident Brazilian Skeptic
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 09:33:55 AM »
I almost agree; I think the Logical Fallacy segment should return (it's a VERY valuable teaching tool for those new to skepticism), but with the different approach suggested here a while ago: choosing one fallacy per week and showing recent examples of its use, explaining them clearly, without any guessing involved. It's not like any of the rogues (let alone the listeners!) could compete with Dr. Novella's years of practice spotting fallacies anyway.  :P
Scientists are the leading cause of cancer in lab rats.

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 12:33:37 PM »
Steve is also an expert at spotting fake boobs.
I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. - Ford Prefect  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Offline Dave The Drummer

• Seasoned Contributor
  • The Antithesis
    • Dave The Drummer
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 01:17:50 PM »
I'd like to see the logical fallacy quiz back again too.
Even if that didn't come back the format is great as it stands.
The format doesn't need to be rigid. Flexibility is good.
On occasion you have had almost a whole episode devoted to an interview. Other episodes have had a much more mixed format.
It's all good.
Do what needs to be done to educate, inform and make people think.

I would personally like to see the occasional object lesson in critical thinking so one can sharpen one's mind a little.
Reaching out to embrace the random, reaching out to embrace whatever may come.

Offline kel

• Not Enough Spare Time
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 05:10:13 PM »
Quote from: "Jay"

Sheesh, is there anything that man can't do?

I voted for keep it the same too. Perfecto. :D
quot;It goes without saying, everything I do is amazing." - Perry DeAngelis, a skeptic 'of some note'.

We'll miss you Perry.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 08:01:51 PM »
Quote from: "Jay"

The "I can always spot a toupee" fallacy! See, I've learned a lot from the old days.

Korean Podcast

Offline Gilnei

• Well Established
  • Resident Brazilian Skeptic
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 11:21:41 PM »
Er... I think that's an in-joke from the exact same episode where they explained that fallacy.

(I'm not sure if you were aware of that or not, but just in case. =P )
Scientists are the leading cause of cancer in lab rats.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 10:06:07 AM »
Quote from: "Gilnei"
Er... I think that's an in-joke from the exact same episode where they explained that fallacy.

(I'm not sure if you were aware of that or not, but just in case. =P )

Dude :)

Korean Podcast

Offline IRON MAN

• Well Established
    • http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/member.php?u=1292
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 06:02:38 PM »
I wonder if Randi would test someone with that claim.  If I said that I could distinguish fake breasts by touch, would he get a bunch of women together for me to try my powers out on?

"Only 5%?  Way below chance alone?  Well, don't I feel like a loser ..."
i]I suck at archaic languages.  I don't understand Latin et al.[/i]

Offline Paul Ganssle

• Objective Hitler
  • Frequent Poster
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 06:06:27 PM »
I am not sure if that is paranormal, but with some tweaking, you could probably get away with something like that.

"My claim is that simply by being orally stimulated by a woman, I can tell at what time she was born to within 15 minutes.  I propose that a random sample of 100 undiseased, attractive women orally stimulate me to completion over the course of one week (or two).  I would consider it a successful test if I was correct 95 out of 100 times."
quot;if you looat the world and think there is a God nothin make sense but if you see it fro a naturalistivc perspectiove all the shti goin on is exactly what youd expect-"  -The Always Eloquent Richard Dawkins