Poll

How do you like the format of SGU?

Add more topics and spend less time on each topic.
6 (2.8%)
Add more humor and witty banter
20 (9.2%)
It's just right - don't change a thing
192 (88.1%)

Total Members Voted: 206

Voting closed: February 22, 2007, 12:35:32 PM

Author Topic: SGU Poll 1  (Read 43001 times)

Offline cosmicvagabond

• Frequent Poster
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2007, 06:17:01 PM »
Quote from: "Jay"
Steve is also an expert at spotting fake boobs.

Sheesh... that one is easy:

Fake Boobs:

Real Boobs:

Bold ideas, unjustified anticipations, and speculative thoughts are our only means for interpreting nature... Those among us who are unwilling to expose their ideas to the hazard of refutation do not take part in the scientific game.    ---Karl Popper, "The Logic of Scientific Discovery"

Offline ATGreat

• Not Enough Spare Time
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007, 06:22:39 PM »
"My claim is that simply by being orally stimulated by a woman, I can tell at what time she was born to within 15 minutes. I propose that a random sample of 100 undiseased, attractive women orally stimulate me to completion over the course of one week (or two). I would consider it a successful test if I was correct 95 out of 100 times."

In a one week period, that would be about 14 times a day, every day for a week. I think that if that if you lived through that, you would be able to demonstrate a different power then guessing time of birth... :)

Offline Paul Ganssle

• Objective Hitler
  • Frequent Poster
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007, 06:51:29 PM »
Quote from: "ATGreat"
"My claim is that simply by being orally stimulated by a woman, I can tell at what time she was born to within 15 minutes. I propose that a random sample of 100 undiseased, attractive women orally stimulate me to completion over the course of one week (or two). I would consider it a successful test if I was correct 95 out of 100 times."

In a one week period, that would be about 14 times a day, every day for a week. I think that if that if you lived through that, you would be able to demonstrate a different power then guessing time of birth... :)

And if I didn't, I'd die very, very happy.  Sounds like a win/win for me!
quot;if you looat the world and think there is a God nothin make sense but if you see it fro a naturalistivc perspectiove all the shti goin on is exactly what youd expect-"  -The Always Eloquent Richard Dawkins

Offline Gilnei

• Well Established
  • Resident Brazilian Skeptic
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2007, 07:51:46 PM »
I would consider it a successful test if I was correct 95 out of 100 times."

Dude, the test would be called off as soon as you failed guessing for the sixth time. That's horrible planning, haven't you learned anything from our fake psychics? You have to claim to make the vaguest predictions possible, so that you cannot be declared a miss so soon (obviously not a hit either, but who cares)?  :D
Scientists are the leading cause of cancer in lab rats.

Offline Paul Ganssle

• Objective Hitler
  • Frequent Poster
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2007, 08:00:22 PM »
Quote from: "Gilnei"
I would consider it a successful test if I was correct 95 out of 100 times."

Dude, the test would be called off as soon as you failed guessing for the sixth time. That's horrible planning, haven't you learned anything from our fake psychics? You have to claim to make the vaguest predictions possible, so that you cannot be declared a miss so soon (obviously not a hit either, but who cares)?  :D

In order for proper blinding conditions, I would write down the birth time of each participant during the test, and birth certificates would be examined afterwards.  Presumably most people do not know when they are born, and even if some of the women did, they aren't saying anything ;).
quot;if you looat the world and think there is a God nothin make sense but if you see it fro a naturalistivc perspectiove all the shti goin on is exactly what youd expect-"  -The Always Eloquent Richard Dawkins

Offline IRON MAN

• Well Established
    • http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/member.php?u=1292
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2007, 09:32:47 PM »
Well this thread certainly took a left turn.  Sorry Steve.
i]I suck at archaic languages.  I don't understand Latin et al.[/i]

Offline champagnej

• Keeps Priorities Straight
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 01:36:29 AM »
Quote from: "IRON MAN"

Jay's fault

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 01:18:46 PM »
cosmicvagabond...awesome post...my god that woman has a set of lungs on her.
I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. - Ford Prefect  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Offline cosmicvagabond

• Frequent Poster
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 03:01:43 PM »
Quote from: "Jay"
cosmicvagabond...awesome post...my god that woman has a set of lungs on her.

I chose the image purely for illustrative purposes... of course.  :wink:
Bold ideas, unjustified anticipations, and speculative thoughts are our only means for interpreting nature... Those among us who are unwilling to expose their ideas to the hazard of refutation do not take part in the scientific game.    ---Karl Popper, "The Logic of Scientific Discovery"

Offline Joe Shmoe

• Chief Rape Apologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2007, 04:01:36 PM »
Quote from: "IRON MAN"

Hating Bush and company is hardly a left-wing monopoly...

Offline SCriminal

• Well Established
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2007, 04:11:44 AM »
I've always thought the spot the logical fallicy segment should be in every show.  I've never really liked science or fiction.  Or if it doesn't work well on the show, it'd be neat if you guys could post quotes for us to pick at here on the boards.
quot;I think it's a bunch of crystal-gripping hippy nonsense." Mythbuster Kari

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2007, 05:42:48 AM »
I really enjoyed the spot the logical fallacy as well.  I think they do record one every once in a while but it ends up on the cutting room floor most of the time to meet the time constraints.   Now that I think about it.  There isn't a rule that says that episodes must be 1h20m or less.
"We're just so damn exciting." - Dr. Steven Novella, MD

Offline Dave The Drummer

• Seasoned Contributor
  • The Antithesis
    • Dave The Drummer
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2007, 05:54:38 AM »
Obviously it takes more resources, time, bandwidth etc... for the podcasts to be longer but I for one would have no problems with a longer podcast.
Reaching out to embrace the random, reaching out to embrace whatever may come.

Offline tileeater

• Off to a Start
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2007, 08:42:14 PM »
I voted for keeping the show the way it is but I also wouldn't mind an occasional show with a theme... A theme suggestion could be occupational woo-woo.

Example: I work in web development and I constantly deal with SEO (search engine optimization) charlatans. Clients are always allured by magical links you can put on your homepage to give you "Top 10 Ranking in Google!!!" While SEO is a legitimate enterprise a very large percentage of it is total BS. I could go on but that's a whole other thread on another message board...

Anyway, I'm curious to hear what others deal with day to day in their work lives.

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2007, 12:05:31 PM »
I've never understood the reasoning behind the one-hour time limit. It's a podcast. If you have the material, why not let it run long?

personate-rain
personate-rain