Poll

How do you like the format of SGU?

Add more topics and spend less time on each topic.
6 (2.8%)
Add more humor and witty banter
20 (9.2%)
It's just right - don't change a thing
192 (88.1%)

Total Members Voted: 206

Voting closed: February 22, 2007, 12:35:32 PM

Author Topic: SGU Poll 1  (Read 43121 times)

Offline Skeptical Gadfly

• Off to a Start
    • http://frakkinnuts.blogspot.com
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2007, 10:14:54 PM »
Quote from: "Mark7300"
I personally think interviews should not be too long and kept to 10 minutes or so. Though there have been guests I could listen too longer

I feel the opposite, I really like the interviews.  The longer the better.  One suggestion might be to try and get the "other side" on more often.  I listened to a Point of Inquiry with Michael Behe and I was thinking, this is going to be awful because I am really anti I.D. But it was fascinating listening to Behe's postion.  DJ was  asking really penetrating questions without being rude and you came away with a much better understanding of the argument at hand.  One thing that was clear, this is a difficult enemy; very calm, cautious and clever.  You need to be prepared if you are going up against them.  He skewered Behe at the end with a question on evil.  Behe had to admit that "death by malaria" must have been part of the intelligent designer's plan. Great plan!
quot;The unexamined thought is not worth thinking."

Offline iamaelephant

• Brand New
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2007, 06:47:46 PM »
Please don't increase the "witty banter" or humour. Firstly, although I've had a few chuckles out of the show, none of you are particularly funny and most of your jokes flops. Badly. Secondly, it's not a comedy podcast, and it's a waste of valuable listening time. Stick to the science and skepticism please.

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2007, 06:59:53 PM »
Quote from: "iamaelephant"
Please don't increase the "witty banter" or humour. Firstly, although I've had a few chuckles out of the show, none of you are particularly funny and most of your jokes flops. Badly. Secondly, it's not a comedy podcast, and it's a waste of valuable listening time. Stick to the science and skepticism please.

I was just listening to some old podcats with Perry.  Perry was particularly funny and raised the level of everyone else's humor.  Everyone is less funny without him.

However, Bob's rants during "Science or Fiction" are still first-rate entertainment!

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2007, 11:29:17 PM »

I think there's a separate entrance for trolls.

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2007, 11:33:08 PM »
Quote from: "Febo"

I was just listening to some old podcats with Perry.  Perry was particularly funny and raised the level of everyone else's humor.  Everyone is less funny without him.

However, Bob's rants during "Science or Fiction" are still first-rate entertainment!

All of them are funny as hell when they get going. That elephant guy is either a troll or an unsupervised mongoloid.

Offline Trisomy21

• Off to a Start
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2007, 02:23:06 AM »

All of them are funny as hell when they get going. That elephant guy is either a troll or an unsupervised mongoloid.

What do you mean by unsupervised mongoloid?
quot;Atheists do look for answers to existence itself.  They just don't make them up." - Teller

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2007, 11:38:01 AM »
Quote from: "Trisomy21"

Offline triumphene

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • http://www.nuclearwar.co.nr
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2007, 12:17:54 PM »

Since people with Down syndrome may appear to have epicanthic folds, the condition was formerly called "Mongol" or "Mongoloid Idiocy"[40] Mistakenly, John Langdon Down, for whom the syndrome was named, claimed in his book Observations on the Ethnic Classification of Idiots (1866), that the Mongol-like features represented an alleged evolutionary degeneration when manifested in Caucasoids. Though this view was discounted in the 20th century, the use of the term "Mongoloid" for racial purposes has acquired offensive connotations because of the connection with Downs syndrome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongoloid
emain cool to suggestions.  Smile enigmatic smiles.  No longer answer questions.

Offline antho

• Brand New
    • http://antho.huntingdon.edu
Just about perfecrt
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2007, 10:40:57 AM »
I discovered the podcasts a few months ago and methodically listened to the 100+ hours of archived posts on iTunes to catchup. The mix of articles, guests, features, and banter has evolved to near perfection.

Don't tinker with a working model.

Offline antho

• Brand New
    • http://antho.huntingdon.edu
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2007, 10:46:19 AM »

I totally disagree. The humor makes this skeptical podcast unique. When Rebecca told the guys that clipping phones to their belts was unsexy, and the only way they'd get laid was to hang a vibrator from their belts, I nearly fell out of my chair laughing.

You have a strong format that you enjoy producing and we enjoy hearing. Don't make big changes.

Offline IrishJazz

• serpent in a fool's paradise
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Possibly Possibilian
iamnotmockingiamaelephanteventhoughitshouldbeiamanelephant
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2007, 01:41:25 PM »

I second this opinion, and move that you type in all future comments and then render them as computer generated voices. It would be more egalitarian- I often find the differentiation between participants distracting, especially Rebecca's distressingly effeminite tone. It would also make everyone sound more like Stephen Hawking, and you can't get more scientific than that.

And less sarcasm please. It is wasted on the rationally enlightened.
"When a dirty fighter realizes he has no legs left, he aims low." - Jennifer McDonald, NYTimes book review

Offline Trisomy21

• Off to a Start
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2007, 03:04:37 AM »
Yes I understand what Mongloid can mean.  I was just wondering if Skidoo was refering to the race that conquered; Europe, Asia and the Middle east or if he was using a slur that refers to people who through no fault of there own have an extra 21st chromosome.  The later is called Trisomy 21 or Down Syndrome of which my 8 week old daughter is a member.  Either of which would make Skidoo a prick.
But I have to agree that the banter on air is absolutely perfect.  I have listened to many other science podcasts but Skeptics guide has ruined them all for me.  I must settle for replaying old episodes until the next SGU episode arrives.  Keep up the great work!

P.S.  My icon is now my 8 week old daughter.
quot;Atheists do look for answers to existence itself.  They just don't make them up." - Teller

Offline KarenX

• Too Much Spare Time
  • A Simple Girl with an Evil Plan
    • More Women in Skepticism
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2007, 05:07:17 AM »
Your eight-week-old daughter is a sweetness and a half! Congrats. I have a nine-month-old girl. I don't know if you have any other children, but my girl is so different from her brother (who is about two) that it's wiggin' me out. Not to go all inherent gender differences but it's amazing. Boys like cars. Girls like stuffed animals to hug and sleep with. Who would have thought it?

Offline Niobe

• You betta back down before you get smacked down
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • Sons of Dis!
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2007, 08:21:07 AM »
Mongoloid
As an aside, I've read something years back that we shouldn't feel bad about associating the happy kids with the name of a proud horseback people, but that the racist asshole that gave his name to the disorder would only be adequate if you refer to the mental retardation aspect of it.

Also your daughter is a doll.

And Rebecca is hilarious. "Well it would be going in a pig". OH SNAP

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2007, 12:53:13 PM »
Yes I understand what Mongloid can mean.  I was just wondering if Skidoo was refering to the race that conquered Europe, Asia and the Middle east or if he was using a slur that refers to people who through no fault of there own have an extra 21st chromosome.

Gosh, I wonder? Oh wait, I see what you're doing there! What a **clever** rhetorical device! But really, only a retard would think I could actually have been referring to the Mongoloid race.

The later is called Trisomy 21 or Down Syndrome of which my 8 week old daughter is a member.

Does she get a quarterly newsletter from them or something? No? She just gets to live her life in blissful ignorance, her every whim catered to by her loving parents? Oh. That's nice.

Either of which would make Skidoo a prick.

So I'm either a racist or a mental capacity-ist? Yay for eugenics! Uh-huh. That's me alright.

Listen here you self-absorbed holier-than-thou drama queen. My two perfectly healthy, perfectly well-adjusted children (10 and 7) are going to ***DIE*** one day. One day, they will be no more; they will cease to exist. And in the interim, they will suffer. Heartbreak, tragedy, and loss will punctuate their brief lives. They'll watch the people they love suffer and die. They don't have the luxury of blissful ignorance to look forward to.

So yeah, it sucks that your kid has Down Syndrome. I'm really sorry for you, blah, blah, blah. But seriously: Shut the hell up with the self-righteous nonsense. Your child has a physical defect, the most visible side-effects of which are not exactly flattering. Sorry, but your child's condition works as a great metaphor. Who's fault is that? Not mine.

I submit that it is you who are being rude, coming in here with your personal agenda, demanding a class get special exemption from negative stereotyping just because your child happens to be a member of it.

personate-rain