Poll

How do you like the format of SGU?

Add more topics and spend less time on each topic.
6 (2.8%)
Add more humor and witty banter
20 (9.2%)
It's just right - don't change a thing
192 (88.1%)

Total Members Voted: 206

Voting closed: February 22, 2007, 12:35:32 PM

Author Topic: SGU Poll 1  (Read 42586 times)

Offline CapSponge

• Seasoned Contributor
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2007, 07:28:35 PM »
Quote from: "skidoo"

Listen here you self-absorbed holier-than-thou drama queen. My two perfectly healthy, perfectly well-adjusted children (10 and 7) are going to ***DIE*** one day.

:shock:

Um....  I got nuthin.

Offline Ubermoogle

• Rape Apologist
  • Seasoned Contributor
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2007, 12:08:15 PM »
If I had my druthers, I'd say each podcast should be at least 2 hours long. But that's a pipe dream.

I guess I'll just have to listen to something that exercises my brain on a regular basis.

Offline Skeptigator

• Off to a Start
    • http://skeptigator.com
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2007, 12:47:28 PM »
I have to agree with a gcason I believe in that a dissenting opinion would be nice sometimes. Maybe not necessarily a truther or a believer but at least someone who would be willing to, on occasion, play Devil's Advocate.  :twisted:

They don't need to be a contrarian but someone whose willing say, "Now wait a second, not ALL alternative medicine is bunk, some of it may actually have benefits"

Perhaps a handsome midwesterner  :wink:
"The only winning move is not to play" - Joshua

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2007, 12:57:25 PM »
Quote from: "Skeptigator"
I have to agree with a gcason I believe in that a dissenting opinion would be nice sometimes. Maybe not necessarily a truther or a believer but at least someone who would be willing to, on occasion, play Devil's Advocate.  :twisted:

They don't need to be a contrarian but someone whose willing say, "Now wait a second, not ALL alternative medicine is bunk, some of it may actually have benefits"

Perhaps a handsome midwesterner  :wink:

I don't see the point. If the panel is ever unfair or incorrect about an implication or an assertion, the fans are all over it. If you're not looking for an ombudsman or a whipping boy, I don't see the purpose behind adding another panelist with an official (even if unspoken) role. Sounds more like you're simply looking for someone you agree with. :D

Offline Skad

• Off to a Start
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2007, 05:20:32 PM »
Quote from: "Trisomy21"
Yes I understand what Mongloid can mean.  I was just wondering if Skidoo was refering to the race that conquered Europe, Asia and the Middle east or if he was using a slur that refers to people who through no fault of there own have an extra 21st chromosome.

Gosh, I wonder? Oh wait, I see what you're doing there! What a **clever** rhetorical device! But really, only a retard would think I could actually have been referring to the Mongoloid race.

The later is called Trisomy 21 or Down Syndrome of which my 8 week old daughter is a member.

Does she get a quarterly newsletter from them or something? No? She just gets to live her life in blissful ignorance, her every whim catered to by her loving parents? Oh. That's nice.

Either of which would make Skidoo a prick.

So I'm either a racist or a mental capacity-ist? Yay for eugenics! Uh-huh. That's me alright.

Listen here you self-absorbed holier-than-thou drama queen. My two perfectly healthy, perfectly well-adjusted children (10 and 7) are going to ***DIE*** one day. One day, they will be no more; they will cease to exist. And in the interim, they will suffer. Heartbreak, tragedy, and loss will punctuate their brief lives. They'll watch the people they love suffer and die. They don't have the luxury of blissful ignorance to look forward to.

So yeah, it sucks that your kid has Down Syndrome. I'm really sorry for you, blah, blah, blah. But seriously: Shut the hell up with the self-righteous nonsense. Your child has a physical defect, the most visible side-effects of which are not exactly flattering. Sorry, but your child's condition works as a great metaphor. Who's fault is that? Not mine.

I submit that it is you who are being rude, coming in here with your personal agenda, demanding a class get special exemption from negative stereotyping just because your child happens to be a member of it.

skidoo,

Do you actually believe this or is this a defensive rant because he called you a prick?

I find it interesting that you have no qualms about referring to him as a "self-absorbed holier-than-thou drama queen" all the while telling us the heart wrenchingly sad story of your children’s lack of down syndrome and their eventual death.  I do find it hard to pity your kids because of their lack of "blissful ignorance" though.  

You also mention that he is driven by a personal agenda; do you lack a personal agenda?  It seems to me that your personal agenda pops its head up a lot..... for instance earlier in this thread when you decided to attack another person who didn't agree with your point of view.
All of them are funny as hell when they get going. That elephant guy is either a troll or an unsupervised mongoloid.

I think that all Trisomy21 was trying to do was point out that you were using a archaic reference developed in a time when any physical or mental deformity was treated as a scourge from god.  By propagating such ideologies it further dehumanizes the individuals it is based on.  If I were to say something was too expensive would you call me a Jew?  

I just want to add that I don't think that you are a racist or a mental capacity-ist.  Sometimes being a skeptic isn't about forcing someone to accept your point of view but presenting the evidence for them to stew over.  I see the point you are trying to make and it is a valid one. We should not have to step on eggshells when we are referencing taboo subjects however blatant ad hominem attacks do not help your argument and neither does using the same fallacies that your target uses.

I appreciate you position and I truly hope I didn't offend you.

ALSO:
quot;Catholic school makes the best atheist’s" - Julia Sweeney

Offline Mark7300

• The Happy Bunny
  • Frequent Poster
  • Other people are the problem.
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2007, 05:32:17 PM »
A combination of way too much PC and someone being a prick about it. Deep breath and on to the next subject...
I'm a Pareidoliaologist.

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2007, 10:44:34 PM »
Quote from: "Skad"
...I don't think that you are a racist or a mental capacity-ist.... I see the point you are trying to make and it is a valid one. We should not have to step on eggshells when we are referencing taboo subjects.

I appreciate you position....

Thanks for your support!

Offline LaPalida

• Frequent Poster
  • To thy own self be true.
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2007, 11:00:09 PM »
Uh news flash... skidoo is a prick everyone knows that!
"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure."
- Mark Twain

Offline DoctorAtlantis

• What?
  • Well Established
  • Hey Kids! It's Doctor Atlantis!
    • http://www.doctoratlantis.com
Jokes Flops
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2007, 11:15:02 PM »
Quote from: "iamaelephant"
Please don't increase the "witty banter" or humour. Firstly, although I've had a few chuckles out of the show, none of you are particularly funny and most of your jokes flops. Badly. Secondly, it's not a comedy podcast, and it's a waste of valuable listening time. Stick to the science and skepticism please.

Why do you spell humor as humour - yet write skepticism and not scepticism?

I think you are a poser.

I posit that you're not a <sic> elephant at all!

(And I would know, because I'm a Doctor from Atlantis!)

But I do like the quantity of the humor in the show as it is.  The recent episode where Doctor Steve (and I use that term loosely, because he went to a terrestrial school instead of a good sea-weed league University like myself) inserted the music from MPATHG was about as much post-production sound effect add-ins as I'd like to hear.  I much prefer the raw "nerds talking smart trash" feel of the show.  

Besides, the show already makes me laugh out loud at least two or three times an episode.  It has a natural feel, and we all know that natural is good.

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2007, 12:03:44 AM »
Actually, I'm in a mincing mood, so I'll address your points individually.

Quote from: "Skad"
skidoo,

Do you actually believe this or is this a defensive rant because he called you a prick?

Are you asking me if I regret that post? No.

I find it interesting that you have no qualms about referring to him as a "self-absorbed holier-than-thou drama queen" all the while telling us the heart wrenchingly sad story of your children’s lack of down syndrome and their eventual death.

Er, that's the whole point. My kids are going to suffer and die, but I don't go around expecting special treatment as a result. And the story of my kids (and all our kids) ***is*** a sad story. If children suffering from Down Syndrome deserve some level of existential compassion and consideration, then ***doubly*** so for healthy children.

I do find it hard to pity your kids because of their lack of "blissful ignorance" though.

What is this? Just some meaningless rhetorical assertion? Or do you just not get what I'm saying?

You also mention that he is driven by a personal agenda; do you lack a personal agenda?

Huh? I'm not presuming to lecture people on their insensitivity because of some self-righteous sense of authority or entitlement. But I'll concede that personal agenda wasn't the right term in that context. Maybe "chip on his shoulder" would've been more appropriate (I'm assuming he's a he?). And it's that aforementioned unjustified claim to authority and entitlement that really chaps my ass. Like he's got some special insight into suffering. I see it all the time. Frustrating.

It seems to me that your personal agenda pops its head up a lot..... for instance earlier in this thread when you decided to attack another person who didn't agree with your point of view.
All of them are funny as hell when they get going. That elephant guy is either a troll or an unsupervised mongoloid.

Hey, er, that's the post we're all discussing here. Try to keep up! :lol:

I think that all Trisomy21 was trying to do was point out that you were using a archaic reference developed in a time when any physical or mental deformity was treated as a scourge from god.

Bullshit. Trisomy21 was getting his rocks off with "moral indignation." And assuming (along with the rest of the herd) that he was automatically entitled to the moral highground. In fact, there is no highground. We're all in this brutal desert, and it's perfectly flat, as far as the eye can see.

By propagating such ideologies it further dehumanizes the individuals it is based on.

I'm not propogating any ideology. That's nonsense. Actual mongoloids are mentally retarded and do have physical features which suggest a low IQ. That's just the way it is.

Now, if the word itself has become old-fashioned and offensive and no longer acceptable, that's a different story. But so far, neither me nor I suspect anyone in the various circiles in which I travel have gotten that memo.

If I were to say something was too expensive would you call me a Jew?

I might, given the right context. I might even actually call you a hebe. :D

I just want to add that I don't think that you are a racist or a mental capacity-ist.

Of course I'm not. And I'm also not entirely insensitive. I can't imagine what an incredible paradigm shift it would be to have a seriously handicapped child. I blow a fuse even trying to think about it.

Sometimes being a skeptic isn't about forcing someone to accept your point of view but presenting the evidence for them to stew over.

Hmm. Uh...what? What are you lecturing me about? I'm not forcing anyone to accept my point of view. I'm presenting the case and rebutting and rejoindering. To assume that a person who uses the word mongoloid as a pejorative is a bigot is in itself prejudicial and imprudent. Let's face it: mongoloid does roll off the tongue nicely.

I see the point you are trying to make and it is a valid one.

Of course it is.

We should not have to step on eggshells when we are referencing taboo subjects

It shouldn't even be a taboo subject, but I get what you're saying. It's all such ridiculousness though.

They're just words. But words can be powerful! Of course they can! But the extent to which you choose to give words power is the extent to which those words (and necessarily their context) should be critically evaluated and examined for logical consistency. That is, the more weight you give the words, the more you should think about what the speaker is really saying.

however blatant ad hominem attacks do not help your argument

I have not committed one single ad hominem fallacy. Please feel free to demonstrate otherwise.

and neither does using the same fallacies that your target uses.

Such as...? Assertum non est demonstratum. To assert is not to demonstrate.

I appreciate you position and I truly hope I didn't offend you.

Offended? Not possible! I type every post on this board with a smile on my face. :D

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2007, 12:12:14 AM »
Quote from: "LaPalida"
Uh news flash... skidoo is a prick everyone knows that!

Yeah, maybe there should be a sticky in one of the forums.

Skidoo is a harmless prick. Take everything he says with a grain of salt. Except for his tips on Holly Hobby collecting: You can take that info straight to the bank!

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Jokes Flops
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2007, 12:13:27 AM »
Quote from: "DoctorAtlantis"
Quote from: "iamaelephant"
Please don't increase the "witty banter" or humour. Firstly, although I've had a few chuckles out of the show, none of you are particularly funny and most of your jokes flops. Badly. Secondly, it's not a comedy podcast, and it's a waste of valuable listening time. Stick to the science and skepticism please.

Why do you spell humor as humour - yet write skepticism and not scepticism?

I think you are a poser.

I posit that you're not a <sic> elephant at all!

(And I would know, because I'm a Doctor from Atlantis!)

But I do like the quantity of the humor in the show as it is.  The recent episode where Doctor Steve (and I use that term loosely, because he went to a terrestrial school instead of a good sea-weed league University like myself) inserted the music from MPATHG was about as much post-production sound effect add-ins as I'd like to hear.  I much prefer the raw "nerds talking smart trash" feel of the show.  

Besides, the show already makes me laugh out loud at least two or three times an episode.  It has a natural feel, and we all know that natural is good.

Well-said, well-said.

EDIT: And I'll just add that not only are popular podcasts dramatically increasing their production values, but high-quality, well-funded science radio programming is now available via podcast (e.g. Radio Lab). And that's cool and all, but the laid-back feel of the SGU commands a refreshing niche in the crowd of slickness.

And make no mistake: This is not Wayne and Garth in their moms' basements. These guys are comfortable behind the microphones, and they're comfortable with each other. Their banter, combined with the tight editing, gives the show a subtly professional quality. It's like what a Cracker Barrel wishes it was. It manages to come across as relaxed and laid back, but the fact is, these guys are always prepared, and they're always current, and they do the show every single week. Total pros. :D

Where's the ass-kissing smiley? :lol: What were we talking about again? Eh, the SGU podcast rocks.

Offline Skeptigator

• Off to a Start
    • http://skeptigator.com
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2007, 12:30:11 PM »
sorry for the seriously late reply

From skidoo
I don't see the point. If the panel is ever unfair or incorrect about an implication or an assertion, the fans are all over it. If you're not looking for an ombudsman or a whipping boy, I don't see the purpose behind adding another panelist with an official (even if unspoken) role. Sounds more like you're simply looking for someone you agree with

My point wasn't specifically about alt-health or whatever the example was. When discussing an issue with a believer they often bring up points that are never brought up by the panel because no one ever (well rarely) challenges what's even being said.

If in the course of one of Dr. Novella's explanations he makes a point based off of an assumption (that a believer doesn't share but the SGU panel accepts) or draws a quick conclusion, I think the Devil's Advocate should at least respond with some of the more common rebuttals/replies that a skeptic may receive from a believer.

I think it would make the education (for the lack of a better term) that I receive from the show better if I already know some of the ready-made responses to a logical fallacy or some commonly held false assumption.

I don't think its very relevant whether I'm a cynical skeptic or believe that Jesus built my hot rod, I'm just offering my opinion as to what I think would make the show better.
"The only winning move is not to play" - Joshua

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2007, 01:10:05 PM »
Quote from: "Skeptigator"
sorry for the seriously late reply

From skidoo
I don't see the point. If the panel is ever unfair or incorrect about an implication or an assertion, the fans are all over it. If you're not looking for an ombudsman or a whipping boy, I don't see the purpose behind adding another panelist with an official (even if unspoken) role. Sounds more like you're simply looking for someone you agree with

My point wasn't specifically about alt-health or whatever the example was. When discussing an issue with a believer they often bring up points that are never brought up by the panel because no one ever (well rarely) challenges what's even being said.

If in the course of one of Dr. Novella's explanations he makes a point based off of an assumption (that a believer doesn't share but the SGU panel accepts) or draws a quick conclusion, I think the Devil's Advocate should at least respond with some of the more common rebuttals/replies that a skeptic may receive from a believer.

I think it would make the education (for the lack of a better term) that I receive from the show better if I already know some of the ready-made responses to a logical fallacy or some commonly held false assumption.

I don't think its very relevant whether I'm a cynical skeptic or believe that Jesus built my hot rod, I'm just offering my opinion as to what I think would make the show better.

So...someone dedicated to understanding and presenting the true believer perspectives on topics discussed? I think they need a Karl. :)

Offline JakePT

• Off to a Start
SGU Poll 1
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2007, 01:13:40 AM »
If you can't spend much time on a topic, then don't bring it up, that's how I feel. I voted for don't change a thing.

personate-rain