Author Topic: Replies to "About Moderation and Drama"  (Read 3788 times)

Offline mickal777

• Beleth Gave Me 100 Gold
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • Trip to Japan
Replies to "About Moderation and Drama"
« on: September 09, 2008, 07:03:16 AM »
Make everyone moderator.

It works in IRC  :P
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 10:24:27 AM by Beleth »

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Students! The muses are silent.
    • ILS
About Moderation and Drama
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 07:04:11 AM »
However, I would still prefer to see less moderation, and bans should be few and far between. Beleth and I have discussed this now, and decided that I'll get a heads up before anyone gets the boot so that I can make sure they really, really deserve it.

Can we infer from this that Kurt's ban will be revoked? What about Bill K?

Offline JamesTate

• I'm Actually Mr. Wiggles
  • Frequent Poster
  • All things being equal
    • A Skeptics Journey
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 07:04:54 AM »
Make everyone moderator.

Cept Schl!  ;D

Gotta keep with tradition, yo.
"Always a plus when you aren't associated with genocide." - IrishJazz
"Doesn't this sound like a spaceship?" - Lady Cyrtpess
"A dry vagina is a sad vagina." -Pandaioum

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Students! The muses are silent.
    • ILS
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 07:17:21 AM »
Response to Rebecca's overall post:

First, I am very happy that you took the time for this. Many people here care a lot about the community and we hate the way things have been lately. Your attention was needed. Hopefully we can now move on :)

Secondly, thank you for stressing that bans should be a final resort and that moderation should be limited. This was the primary concern of many who complained, including myself. We found that bans were given for questionable reasons (Schlenkerb on 'killing yourself' in "Flame Wars"), or even outright ridiculous ones (Kurt on 'speeding' in "Explicit"). Your post gives me hope that we will see virtually none of this in the future.

Finally I must say that I am disappointed over two things. Closing Explicit is a shame. I hope that it won't be deleted altogether, because some really fun - if not always intelligent - conversations have been held there. There is also much spam unfortunately. The second thing I am disappointed in is your remaining trust in Beleth. He has repeatedly shown himself incapable of handling his power. He has been making some outrageous decisions, causing a generally friendly community to fall apart. In my opinion it would definitely have been best to remove him from his position, rather than support him after his failures so far.

Offline DK

• Dave, my mind is going.
  • Too Much Spare Time
    • My Blog: Self-Indulgent Navel Gazing
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 08:30:53 AM »
If no-one minds I'm going to link this thread into the Bill K banning thread in this forum. The people who have posted there may miss this, and I think more people need to read it.

This is also a more general thing. As the Forum Admin is at the bottom, I have missed a lot of discussions on the changes to the Modding and I don't think many people come in here. When I started, I thought it was a place for the Moderators and Admins to discuss, not for regular guests.

I have absolutely no idea on how to do this, but, I think it needs to looked into.

Anyway, I would like to thank Rebecca for her time, and hopefully, we can continue directing the venom towards the woo merchants, not at each other.

Offline rebecca

• Seasoned Contributor
    • http://www.skepchick.org
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 09:30:52 AM »
However, I would still prefer to see less moderation, and bans should be few and far between. Beleth and I have discussed this now, and decided that I'll get a heads up before anyone gets the boot so that I can make sure they really, really deserve it.

Can we infer from this that Kurt's ban will be revoked? What about Bill K?

Yes, I reinstated both Kurt and Bill K. For now.  >:( (Apparently my favorite evil devil smiley was lost in the upgrade to SMF...)
Skepchick <- Now with updated URL for 2012!

Offline Ole Eivind

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 09:31:51 AM »
I see the expicit forum is now removed.

Will someone move some of the threads to "general" or "skepticism/science"? There were quite a few threads that were made in explicit without any explicit content (don't ask me why). A recent thread called "zeitgeist" being just one example.

Life will be just a little bit less fun if we loose Opcn's epic "how to get the girl" threads.

Offline rebecca

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 09:47:39 AM »
Response to Rebecca's overall post:

First, I am very happy that you took the time for this. Many people here care a lot about the community and we hate the way things have been lately. Your attention was needed. Hopefully we can now move on :)

I'll allow a group hug, provided no one actually touch me.

Secondly, thank you for stressing that bans should be a final resort and that moderation should be limited. This was the primary concern of many who complained, including myself. We found that bans were given for questionable reasons (Schlenkerb on 'killing yourself' in "Flame Wars"), or even outright ridiculous ones (Kurt on 'speeding' in "Explicit"). Your post gives me hope that we will see virtually none of this in the future.

Yes, and this is where I've been lacking when it comes to this forum. The problems that a few of you seem to have with Beleth are almost entirely due to a complete and utter lack of direction from me. Because I have about 50 other projects going at once, I often leave people in charge and run off to the next thing. Normally I'll swing back around to check in, but in the case of this forum I'll admit I was procrastinating because forums can turn into such ugly messes.

Without any direction from me, Beleth was left to put the pieces together and guess at what I might want. The reason why I like him and trust him is because I know that no matter what he personally thinks about how a forum should be run, he will cheerfully discuss changes and accept new direction. I'm confident that now that we've agreed less moderation and banning is for the best, he'll do his best to adhere to that.

Finally I must say that I am disappointed over two things. Closing Explicit is a shame. I hope that it won't be deleted altogether, because some really fun - if not always intelligent - conversations have been held there. There is also much spam unfortunately.

I haven't deleted it, just closed it to new replies until we admins can all sit down and decide how to make it a fun, useful addition to the forum. Don't fear!

The second thing I am disappointed in is your remaining trust in Beleth. He has repeatedly shown himself incapable of handling his power. He has been making some outrageous decisions, causing a generally friendly community to fall apart. In my opinion it would definitely have been best to remove him from his position, rather than support him after his failures so far.

See above for explanation on that. The best I can do is to ask you all to have some sympathy and patience for someone who is a very good person doing a rather thankless job for free.

Offline rebecca

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 09:48:28 AM »
I see the expicit forum is now removed.

Will someone move some of the threads to "general" or "skepticism/science"? There were quite a few threads that were made in explicit without any explicit content (don't ask me why). A recent thread called "zeitgeist" being just one example.

Life will be just a little bit less fun if we loose Opcn's epic "how to get the girl" threads.

Sure. Post the names of threads here, and after I get a chance to skim them for explicit content, I'll move them over.

Online Halleyscomet

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 09:51:33 AM »
Life is Not Fair
When someone is banned from now on, you can omg-lol-wtf it all you want in the mod forum but appeals to me via email, PM, Facebook message, or carrier pigeon will go in the garbage (the pigeon, too).

I would like to respectfully suggest that you not throw out the pigeon. While the kind that infest most cities are rather unkempt beasts, one that's been raised in captivity and trained will be clean and disease free.  In other words, good eatin'.  If you like squab or quail you'll like pigeon. Just thought I'd toss that out there.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 10:03:02 AM »
Life is Not Fair
When someone is banned from now on, you can omg-lol-wtf it all you want in the mod forum but appeals to me via email, PM, Facebook message, or carrier pigeon will go in the garbage (the pigeon, too).

I would like to respectfully suggest that you not throw out the pigeon. While the kind that infest most cities are rather unkempt beasts, one that's been raised in captivity and trained will be clean and disease free.  In other words, good eatin'.  If you like squab or quail you'll like pigeon. Just thought I'd toss that out there.

Uh, you do know she's a vegetarian, right?   ;)

Thank you for posting this, Rebecca.  It was needed.

Offline rebecca

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 10:06:49 AM »
Life is Not Fair

Thank you for posting this, Rebecca.  It was needed.

Well technically I will eat anything I have no trouble killing myself (plant matter, fish, snails) and given my utter contempt for those vile rats with wings, there's a chance I would actually be driven to bird-icide.

Online Halleyscomet

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 10:12:38 AM »

Well, that's egg on my face.

Wait, no, er... Let me rephrase that.

You know who else was a vegetarian?  Do you???

Ben Franklin.

Well, not consistently, he kind of went in and out of it. He supposedly wrote up a few recipes he shared with friends and was quite the vegetarian cook. I seem to recall a few references advocating it in his autobiography.

Well technically I will eat anything I have no trouble killing myself (plant matter, fish, snails) and given my utter contempt for those vile rats with wings, there's a chance I would actually be driven to bird-icide.

What about dairy?  The cows aren't killed, but the dairy industry is kinda responsible for veal.

Offline Zygar

• Brand New
    • My homepage
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 11:08:47 AM »
Make everyone moderator.

It works in IRC because there's still an admin with more power than everyone else.

Offline queequeg

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 11:48:34 AM »
Make everyone moderator.

It works in IRC because there's still an admin with more power than everyone else.

Actually IRC is pretty brutal.  It can be a banning blood bath at times. 

Out out damned spot!
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
      -- Voltaire

personate-rain