Author Topic: Neil DeGrasse Tyson as a guest  (Read 13164 times)

Offline CleveDan

• Seasoned Contributor
Neil DeGrasse Tyson as a guest
« on: February 25, 2007, 03:37:35 PM »
I think Neil would be a great guest on the show. below is a write-up regarding him on c-span this weekend. I'm sure he could speak on a variety of topics:

Death By Black Hole and Other Cosmic Quandaries
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Description: Neil deGrasse Tyson, director of the Hayden Planetarium at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City, talks about his new book of collected essays about the cosmos.

Author Bio: Astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson became director of the Hayden Planetarium in 1996. Mr. Tyson is the author of several books, including "Origins: Fourteen Billion Years of Cosmic Evolution" (with Donald Goldsmith) and "The Sky Is Not the Limit: Adventures of an Urban Astrophysicist." For more, visit: research.amnh.org/~tyson/.
"The argument is absurd almost beyond description – but not quite, so I will describe the absurdity" --Dr. Steve Novella
"I was a little confused as to why it was relevant for Miller to give us all a lesson in evolutionary biology" --Casey Luskin.....An AssHat of some note

Offline Ivan Lysenko

• Off to a Start
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 01:18:38 PM »
I saw him on c-span a few days ago when I was back at home for the weekend and I liked what I saw. Later I also caught him on NRP's wait wait don't tell me. Also very cool. I have to say that I like the idea of having him on the program and it would break up the some what short and unsatisfying TAM 5 interviews.

P.S. whatever happened to the spell check stuff on the boards?
urprised cyclopes :idea:

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 03:24:54 PM »
I liked "Death By Black Hole" quite a bit.  Very accessible for a lay person, and had many interesting tidbits; also written with a good sense of humor.

I saw him on Colbert Report, he was very entertaining.  I think he be a great guest on the podcast.

Offline gorgulax

• Off to a Start
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 01:40:30 PM »
Not getting Tyson would be a crime.  He has that rare ability to convey the utter marvel of his subject with the excitement that a career could easily temper or kill.

Also -
Beyond Belief 2006 was a conference on The Academy v. Religion.  Dawkins, Harris, Tyson, a reverent letter Dennett sent from his hospital bed, Susan Neiman, a token Templeton winner, Joan Roughgarden, an anesthesiologist presenting a quantum consciousness conjecture that nearly kills the physicists in the audience, and a lot more is entirely free to stream or download.  If I sound out of breath, it's because I am.  Scott Atran's disgust with much that transpired there makes for a little drama.  Fun!

One clip of Tyson calling Dawkins a meany and Dawkins doing little to dispel that notion is   here
verything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
-Kurt Vonegut

Offline Ciro

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 01:52:36 PM »
Quote from: "gorgulax"
Not getting Tyson would be a crime.  He has that rare ability to convey the utter marvel of his subject with the excitement that a career could easily temper or kill.

One clip of Tyson calling Dawkins a meany and Dawkins doing little to dispel that notion is   here

That was great.... I freaking love Tyson. He gets me so excited. The episodes of POI which he was on were fantastic, and the Beyond Belief videos of him talking about what science means to him brought me to tears. I agree, not getting him on SGU would be a crime.
 have found that the more educated I get, the less I want to do with you smarmy assholes and your obsession with pushing your ideals on other people and and killing their buzz because you think you're helping them.

Offline gorgulax

• Off to a Start
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 02:20:12 PM »
I must admit, I have been biased toward him since first hearing his name and AMNH uttered in the same sentence. That might be my favorite place.  Ever.  If all goes according to plan, my wedding will be there.
verything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
-Kurt Vonegut

Offline Brian1625

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 10:03:27 AM »
Yeah, he actually has skill when it comes to the Public Understanding of Science.

Michael Shermer mentioned that Scientist aren't great spokes people on his second appearance on the SGU podcast... Science has bad PR but Tyson is that rare exception.

Offline CleveDan

• Seasoned Contributor
colbert 4/30
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 11:42:24 PM »
He was on Colbert tonight 4/30. i guess he is the first 3 time guest on colbert. that means he should be on SGU!
"The argument is absurd almost beyond description – but not quite, so I will describe the absurdity" --Dr. Steve Novella
"I was a little confused as to why it was relevant for Miller to give us all a lesson in evolutionary biology" --Casey Luskin.....An AssHat of some note

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
Re: colbert 4/30
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 12:01:18 AM »
Quote from: "CleveDan"
He was on Colbert tonight 4/30. i guess he is the first 3 time guest on colbert. that means he should be on SGU!

Ahh, nothing like a refreshing non-sequitur to brighten your day.

Offline Joe Shmoe

• Chief Rape Apologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 12:18:06 AM »
Quote from: "Brian1625"
Yeah, he actually has skill when it comes to the Public Understanding of Science.

Michael Shermer mentioned that Scientist aren't great spokes people on his second appearance on the SGU podcast... Science has bad PR but Tyson is that rare exception.

I dislike him, he has trouble forming coherent sentences.  Compared to the poetry of Sagan and now Dawkins he's a pauper.  I do believe that he does one thing very well, that is the communicate as Sagan did (and Dawkins does not) the awesomeness of the universe.

Offline Brian Hunt

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 02:31:46 AM »
I'm a fan.  I'd love to hear him on the show.

Offline Dave The Drummer

• Seasoned Contributor
  • The Antithesis
    • Dave The Drummer
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 06:42:06 AM »
I'd like to hear what he has to say too.
Reaching out to embrace the random, reaching out to embrace whatever may come.

Offline Phobos

• Brand New
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 10:39:49 PM »
I concur that Tyson would be an outstanding guest.

Offline The Great Perhaps

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 05:17:57 PM »
Quote from: "Joe Shmoe"
I dislike him, he has trouble forming coherent sentences.  Compared to the poetry of Sagan and now Dawkins he's a pauper.  I do believe that he does one thing very well, that is the communicate as Sagan did (and Dawkins does not) the awesomeness of the universe.

Shermer or Tyson? Shermer's a good writer but not the best speaker, but I've both read Tyson and heard him speak, and both times he blew me away. Even Jon Stewart pointed out that he can make the science of the universe sound sexy.

Neil deGrasse Tyson on the SGU in '08!  :)
 doubt, therefore I am. (But I could be wrong.)

Ignorance killed the cat; curiosity was framed.

"The very act of understanding is a celebration of joining, of merging, even if on a very modest scale, with the magnificence of the Cosmos."
-Carl Sagan

Offline seanahan

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 10:45:13 PM »
People have compared him to Carl Sagan, which is as much endorsement as I need.  He does podcasts as well as hosts the tv show Nova, and they're both pretty good.
hut my mouth and strike the demons
That cursed you and your reasons

http://seanahan.blogspot.com/

personate-rain