Author Topic: Neil DeGrasse Tyson as a guest  (Read 13043 times)

Offline LeeTheAgent

• Kikyo's other husband.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • >:/ RAWR CRIKEY!
    • Facebook
Neil DeGrasse Tyson as a guest
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 07:32:40 AM »
Quote from: "The Great Perhaps"
Quote from: "Joe Shmoe"
I dislike him, he has trouble forming coherent sentences.  Compared to the poetry of Sagan and now Dawkins he's a pauper.  I do believe that he does one thing very well, that is the communicate as Sagan did (and Dawkins does not) the awesomeness of the universe.

Shermer or Tyson? Shermer's a good writer but not the best speaker, but I've both read Tyson and heard him speak, and both times he blew me away. Even Jon Stewart pointed out that he can make the science of the universe sound sexy.

Neil deGrasse Tyson on the SGU in '08!  :)
Shermer AND Tyson! And throw in Michio Kaku... 3 of my favorites! And of course Christopher Hitchens (teh secks) and that would be my dream podcast agenda! :D
An environment of pervasive credulity is incompatible with a healthy democracy.
<Kikyo> I am implying that you are sexy ;)

Offline The Great Perhaps

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 02:10:35 PM »
Quote from: "seanahan"
People have compared him to Carl Sagan, which is as much endorsement as I need.  He does podcasts as well as hosts the tv show Nova, and they're both pretty good.

Indeed. Carl Sagan is one of my heroes, and Tyson is the only person I can think of that could follow him.
 doubt, therefore I am. (But I could be wrong.)

Ignorance killed the cat; curiosity was framed.

"The very act of understanding is a celebration of joining, of merging, even if on a very modest scale, with the magnificence of the Cosmos."
-Carl Sagan

Offline Jonny_eh

• Well Established
  • I'm standing right behind you!
    • Ottawa Skeptics
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 02:27:43 PM »
Tyson is no Sagan, but he's damn good. I enjoyed Death by Black Hole very much, but it's not in the same league as Sagan's stuff.
Are you a skeptic in Ottawa, Canada?
Join here: http://www.ottawaskeptics.org/
Check out our podcast: The Reality Check (If you like the SGU, give it a try)
Follow me on twitter!

Offline seanahan

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 09:36:37 PM »
Quote from: "LeeTheAgent"
Shermer AND Tyson! And throw in Michio Kaku... 3 of my favorites! And of course Christopher Hitchens (teh secks) and that would be my dream podcast agenda! :D

I saw Michio Kaku doing commentary on The Science Channel for a show about how prophetic Jules Verne and H. G. Wells were.  He was very good.
hut my mouth and strike the demons
That cursed you and your reasons

http://seanahan.blogspot.com/

Offline LeeTheAgent

• Kikyo's other husband.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • >:/ RAWR CRIKEY!
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 06:01:48 AM »
Michio Kaku, I personally think, has taken the mantle from Sagan... when I see him on shows on the Science Channel, he's got that great spirit Sagan had, that optimism for the future, he really makes you eager for scientific breakthroughs. You watch one of his shows and you're all eager about what's to come. I'd love to hear more from him, especially on SGU. He's got the charisma Sagan had.
An environment of pervasive credulity is incompatible with a healthy democracy.
<Kikyo> I am implying that you are sexy ;)

Offline balderdash

• Brand New
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 07:08:44 AM »
Tyson has an ability to convey enthusiasm for his topic like few others. Needless to say, I think he would make an excellent guest.

Offline Skepvet

• Off to a Start
Re: Neil DeGrasse Tyson as a guest
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 09:02:02 AM »
Just heard Tyson speak at TAMS6 yesterday. HE WAS AWESOME!  Eloquently, seamlessly and in a completely captivating way talked about everything from Pluto as a Putoid, the vacuousness of G.W. Bush, intelligent design, the failure of American education, and the tragic loss of Scientific tradition in Islam (to name a few). Definitely would be great on SGU.

He definitely made an effort to stylistically separate himself from Dawkins by pointing out that 7% of "elite" scientists still believe in a personal God. Suggested that we should be more sensitive regarding the criticism of "believers" until that number goes to 0%. Would definitely like to hear Steve get him to elaborate on that.
"We are star-stuff"-Carl Sagan

Offline DoctorAtlantis

• What?
  • Well Established
  • Hey Kids! It's Doctor Atlantis!
    • http://www.doctoratlantis.com
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2008, 01:49:47 PM »
I do believe that he does one thing very well, that is the communicate as Sagan did (and Dawkins does not) the awesomeness of the universe.

Well, Dawkins' field is biology not astronomy, so he's not really in a position to talk about the universe as an expert is he?  He makes the evolution of life here on our little rock seem pretty awesome if you can get past how intimidating his books are in sheer size.

Offline m1eai

• Off to a Start
    • http://m2e1gnd.wordpress.com/
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 06:57:52 AM »
I was at the SGU dinner on Friday night and i asked Steve about the interviews they had done.  He said they had got Mr Tyson (who btw was f**king brillent on Friday, buying the TAM 6 DVD is a must) as well as Geroge Hrab, Banacheck Pen and Teller and a few others.  Jet lag and food poisoning making my mind a bit fuzzy.  He said they will be selling complete ones like last year just lots more of them.

Andy
I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts.
Abraham Lincoln

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 11:55:55 AM »
Yep, we got most of the speakers (and others), including Neil DeGrasse Tyson.  But unfortunately not P&T.  I got to sit in on the interviews with Adam Savage and James Randi.  Shaking Randi's hand for the first time was one of the MANY highlights of my TAM.
"We're just so damn exciting." - Dr. Steven Novella, MD

Offline illogik01

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2008, 01:32:25 AM »
He's sooooo dreamy!

Online Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • So it goes.
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 02:35:21 AM »

Offline Dan Jackson

• Doesn't Panic
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 11:40:30 PM »
I dislike him, he has trouble forming coherent sentences.

Bullshit.  On a stick.

Maybe he can get over-excited and sound "off the cuff" informal, the man has no problem forming coherent sentences.  Just because he communicates differently than Sagan doesn't mean he lacks "poetry".  I love Sagan, and have essentially memorized most of Cosmos, Pale Blue Dot, and Demon Haunted World, but even Sagan wasn't without his faults (like his tendency to be overly "soft and flowery" with his metaphors). 

Sagan always seemed like a eloquent, tweedy professor who came from the 60's hippie era.  Tyson, by comparison, seems like an "regular guy", a "man's man", who also happens to be an astrophysicist that runs a planetarium and loves science... and loves to tell you all about it.     

Offline Bartmon

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2008, 12:57:03 PM »
I set up and handled the guest interviews for TAM 6. We made every effort to ensure that SGU got everyone they wanted. P & T specifically asked that they NOT be interviewed by anyone. Considering all that they do for the JREF and TAM, this seemed reasonable to me.

Dr. Tyson's schedule was very limited and we had only 90 minutes to do all the interviews with him. SGU got about 28 minutes with him (which I think was the most of anyone). I think the SGU boys (and girl) got everyone else done without any problems. There just HAS to be a ton of great material in there.

Bart
esus Never Existed

Offline craig

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 11:19:52 AM »
Michio Kaku, I personally think, has taken the mantle from Sagan... when I see him on shows on the Science Channel, he's got that great spirit Sagan had, that optimism for the future, he really makes you eager for scientific breakthroughs. You watch one of his shows and you're all eager about what's to come. I'd love to hear more from him, especially on SGU. He's got the charisma Sagan had.

I have to disagree.  From what I have heard, Kaku is a pseudoscientist and"he Preach it, he don't Teach it".
"Why ya gotta act like you know when you don't know....It's okay if you don't know everything." --- Ben Folds

personate-rain