Author Topic: Graphics needed  (Read 10689 times)

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
Graphics needed
« on: November 12, 2008, 11:09:18 PM »
If anyone is interested in a making banner ads, icons etc. for the SGU please let me know.  Any ideas you have to help promote the SGU are welcome. 
I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. - Ford Prefect  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
Re: Graphics needed
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 12:10:59 AM »
i'm pretty busy with school at the moment, but i'll keep this in mind.  it's the least i can do, since i can't afford to donate :P sry.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline quirk3k

• I meditate diligently every morning. The subject is Life and Love.
  • Frequent Poster
  • Nothing to see here... Move along
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 01:27:43 AM »
If anyone is interested in a making banner ads, icons etc. for the SGU please let me know.  Any ideas you have to help promote the SGU are welcome. 

Do you have any iconography, font preference or style choices? These vary wildly on your various sites so narrowing this down would be helpful. Do you like serifed or sanserifed fonts? Would you prefer Earth or Saturn? Photo-realistic, cartoony or abstract?

I don't want to sound bitchy, and I would love to help, but I need more details before I know if I could be useful. Things I make are dry, minimalist, and usually involve font manipulation.
Three thousand quirks and counting...

Offline angstboy

• Off to a Start
  • LET'S GO CAPS!
    • DaddyMonkey LIVES!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 11:31:08 AM »
Do you have any iconography, font preference or style choices? These vary wildly on your various sites so narrowing this down would be helpful. Do you like serifed or sanserifed fonts? Would you prefer Earth or Saturn? Photo-realistic, cartoony or abstract?

I don't want to sound bitchy, and I would love to help, but I need more details before I know if I could be useful. Things I make are dry, minimalist, and usually involve font manipulation.
This.

I would like to help as well, but would need more guidance in order to do so.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 11:37:47 AM »
Same here. I'd be delighted to lend my skills to the cause, but a wee bit more specific instructions would be nice.

Offline astrostu

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 10:32:43 PM »
Ditto to the last three folks - do you know what you're looking for?  A concept to go from would be nice. :)

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 04:07:03 PM »
I hope this answers your questions guys.

Banner Ad concept:
I want the SGU to provide banner ads that can be embedded onto a website, blog, rss feed, whatever, in order to promote the SGU.
- There would be a series of ads that you can pull/link to from the SGU website that are in various sizes (banners, badges) and they can be made in ani-gifs, flash or "static" jpg.
- There are no real rules as to what the banners should look like although you are limited by the "banner ad" format, you know like this (https://www.google.com/adsense/static/en_US/AdFormats.html)
- They could visually tie into the new logo (found here, http://www.theskepticsguide.org/images/podcast_images/SGU_HRes_Logo_sm.gif) or even draw from the logo since it's nearly banner like already.
- The font is really just a tweaked Arial and we can provide Photoshop files to aid in creating consistent banners.

I want you to have fun while doing this, that’s why I don't want to nail down exact specifications.  Feel free to try your ideas out.  The only thing is that Steve and I will be picking which ones we want to make available on the site.  Let me know if this is enough info.
I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. - Ford Prefect  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 04:22:15 PM »
That works for me. :) I'll try to whip up some stuff over the weekend.

Offline quirk3k

• I meditate diligently every morning. The subject is Life and Love.
  • Frequent Poster
  • Nothing to see here... Move along
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 05:21:21 PM »
I hope this answers your questions guys.

Banner Ad concept:
I want the SGU to provide banner ads that can be embedded onto a website, blog, rss feed, whatever, in order to promote the SGU.
- There would be a series of ads that you can pull/link to from the SGU website that are in various sizes (banners, badges) and they can be made in ani-gifs, flash or "static" jpg.
- There are no real rules as to what the banners should look like although you are limited by the "banner ad" format, you know like this (https://www.google.com/adsense/static/en_US/AdFormats.html)
- They could visually tie into the new logo (found here, http://www.theskepticsguide.org/images/podcast_images/SGU_HRes_Logo_sm.gif) or even draw from the logo since it's nearly banner like already.
- The font is really just a tweaked Arial and we can provide Photoshop files to aid in creating consistent banners.

I want you to have fun while doing this, that’s why I don't want to nail down exact specifications.  Feel free to try your ideas out.  The only thing is that Steve and I will be picking which ones we want to make available on the site.  Let me know if this is enough info.

Yes, thank you. It helps a lot. Do you have the raw Photoshop or Illustrator file?
Three thousand quirks and counting...

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 04:15:27 PM »
Use this link to get the PSD
http://www.transferbigfiles.com/Get.aspx?id=a33ab78e-b4dd-4037-a9ed-f4c8b2dc772e

Let me know if the download doesn't work.

Offline astrostu

• Well Established
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
Use this link to get the PSD
http://www.transferbigfiles.com/Get.aspx?id=a33ab78e-b4dd-4037-a9ed-f4c8b2dc772e

Let me know if the download doesn't work.

Download worked for me.

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 09:02:26 AM »
Cool.  Looking forward to seeing all your work  :D

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 10:26:31 AM »
Well actually I haven't dony any yet. Real life interfered again. Sorry. :-[

Offline alexbutterfield

• Frequent Poster
  • Wins with Town
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 03:40:54 AM »
Not to be a nuisance. But that link to the PSD died, and I'd like to give this a shot.

Only just saw your post though, and I'll have to give it a think. But hopefully I'll be struck by inspiration.

Could I bother you to kindly upload the PSD once more.

Offline kinjutsu

• Off to a Start
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 12:37:18 AM »
I'm new to the forums but I'd love to help out with some graphics :D  I'll see what I can come up with.

personate-rain