Author Topic: Graphics needed  (Read 10847 times)

Offline ducky

• Well Established
    • http://skepticwiki.org
Re: Graphics needed
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2008, 10:46:34 AM »
File has expired on December 07 @ 11:31 AM MST   :-[

That would be when all attachments and avatars were removed.

This was warned about for quite some time before the upgrade, and explicitly for a week in this thread before the upgrade:

On Sunday, 7th December 2008 starting at 1:00pm GMT-6 the forum will be completely unavailable as we upgrade the database and software to SMF 2.0.  The maintenance window will be roughly 3 hours during which there will be no access to the forum.  We hope the upgrade process will go faster than the expected maintenance window, however it may go longer if unexpected issues arise during the database conversion process.

We will have a back-out plan in place to restore the forum to it's current status before the upgrade should things go south to the point of no return.

Some things I want to point out about this conversion:

1) There will be no loss of posts, or data inside posts.
2) All current themes will be unusable with the new forum software.  At first we will have just the SMF default theme in place, until a new custom theme can be designed to brand this forum more as SGU's site.
3) All uploaded avatars and pictures will be lost.  I'm taking this time to clean house and conserve disk space.  If you had (prior to June of 08) uploaded an avatar or picture to the server, it will be lost.  Since we haven't allowed for the upload of files since before June of 08, this should not affect any recent activity on the forum.  As is the case now, if you lose your avatar in this process you can still link to the off-site image you want to use.

Some new features we will be enjoying after this upgrade:

1) User ignore feature (which is not perfect, but is workable until I can develop some tweaks for it)
2) Improved moderator functionality, and improved member warning system for infractions.
3) The ability to email yourself a password reset link will return, as throttling to prevent member spamming of password reset emails is built in to this version of SMF.
4) File based caching to increase forum performance regardless of whether caching is enabled on the web server locally.
5) Improved sorting options on incoming personal messages (ie. folders/tags etc.)
6) Improved post editor
7) Logic in place to stagger outgoing announcement emails from the forum so as not to tax the email services of the server we reside on. (This was a big deal, as making forum announcements would flag alerts to the server owners.)

On a side note, the SGU forum has grown so fast that I expect it is only a matter of months before we meet the requirements to be invited to the "Large Forum Support Group" within the SMF community.  The membership requirements are boards with 500,000 posts with 5000 members.  I think this is an encouraging and important milestone for us to reach, because it shows the steady gains this online community has made in membership for the past year.  That's not only success for us as a forum, it is success for the panel members and the podcast.

Thanks for your time.

-Ducky

Offline Evil Eye

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • THINK!
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2008, 10:55:44 AM »
File has expired on December 07 @ 11:31 AM MST   :-[

That would be when all attachments and avatars were removed.

This was warned about for quite some time before the upgrade, and explicitly for a week in this thread before the upgrade:

On Sunday, 7th December 2008 starting at 1:00pm GMT-6 the forum will be completely unavailable as we upgrade the database and software to SMF 2.0.  The maintenance window will be roughly 3 hours during which there will be no access to the forum.  We hope the upgrade process will go faster than the expected maintenance window, however it may go longer if unexpected issues arise during the database conversion process.

We will have a back-out plan in place to restore the forum to it's current status before the upgrade should things go south to the point of no return.

Some things I want to point out about this conversion:

1) There will be no loss of posts, or data inside posts.
2) All current themes will be unusable with the new forum software.  At first we will have just the SMF default theme in place, until a new custom theme can be designed to brand this forum more as SGU's site.
3) All uploaded avatars and pictures will be lost.  I'm taking this time to clean house and conserve disk space.  If you had (prior to June of 08) uploaded an avatar or picture to the server, it will be lost.  Since we haven't allowed for the upload of files since before June of 08, this should not affect any recent activity on the forum.  As is the case now, if you lose your avatar in this process you can still link to the off-site image you want to use.

Some new features we will be enjoying after this upgrade:

1) User ignore feature (which is not perfect, but is workable until I can develop some tweaks for it)
2) Improved moderator functionality, and improved member warning system for infractions.
3) The ability to email yourself a password reset link will return, as throttling to prevent member spamming of password reset emails is built in to this version of SMF.
4) File based caching to increase forum performance regardless of whether caching is enabled on the web server locally.
5) Improved sorting options on incoming personal messages (ie. folders/tags etc.)
6) Improved post editor
7) Logic in place to stagger outgoing announcement emails from the forum so as not to tax the email services of the server we reside on. (This was a big deal, as making forum announcements would flag alerts to the server owners.)

On a side note, the SGU forum has grown so fast that I expect it is only a matter of months before we meet the requirements to be invited to the "Large Forum Support Group" within the SMF community.  The membership requirements are boards with 500,000 posts with 5000 members.  I think this is an encouraging and important milestone for us to reach, because it shows the steady gains this online community has made in membership for the past year.  That's not only success for us as a forum, it is success for the panel members and the podcast.

Thanks for your time.

-Ducky

Huh? I was talking about the photoshop thingie that Jay put up. I just now saw this thread.
"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.

Offline angstboy

• Off to a Start
  • LET'S GO CAPS!
    • DaddyMonkey LIVES!
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2008, 10:59:19 AM »

Congrats on your banner being used on the forums!

I'ts looking good.

Oh hey! Wouldya look at that. I go away for a few days and come back to this nice surprise. Looks like I'm gonna have to keep making more ads to keep my rep up.

Offline ducky

• Well Established
    • http://skepticwiki.org
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2008, 06:16:09 PM »

Ah.  Sorry Evil Eye, cranky lately about the upgrades etc.

Angstboy:  please do!  PM me, I have some banner requests for you.

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2008, 04:25:30 PM »
Does anyone need the file again? 
I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. - Ford Prefect  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2008, 08:39:03 AM »
Guys, we are going to put some of these on the new site under the media section.  I may ask you to modify the banner a bit but overall the ideas have been great.  If anyone needs the logo file let me know.
 :D
I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. - Ford Prefect  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Offline CPrompt

• Brand New
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2009, 08:02:22 PM »
Hey there.  I'd love to try my hand a design.

The PSD file has expired and it seems at the moment the main site is throwing a 503.

Offline warmonga

• Off to a Start
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2009, 02:58:02 AM »
Ditto the last guy. Are you still interested in any graphics? Happy to throw my hand if you still need something - maybe it's something you haven't got yet? Flash files maybe?

Offline MikeKAY

• Off to a Start
  • The SLF is coming...
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2009, 11:42:25 AM »
Graphics are not my strong suite, But I have some skills in audio sound effects mixing/processing.  FYI   ;D

Mike

Offline Parrot

• Well Established
    • The Dumbasses Guide To Knowledge
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2009, 08:10:35 PM »
I thought I'd try to come up with a rough concept for a banner ad for fun.  What do you guys think of something like this:

I know it's a little crowded and all that.  I'm sure that's solvable.  Just spitballing a concept here.

personate-rain