Author Topic: Rolling Stone Top 100 Singers  (Read 7390 times)

Offline Jayhox

• Seasoned Contributor
  • The Skeptical Dentist
Re: Rolling Stone Top 100 Singers
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2008, 09:51:40 PM »
Daltrey was way too low IMO.

And no Jon Anderson?  GMAFB.

Offline susande

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Tee hee
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 12:05:02 PM »
I understand very well why Bob Dylan is so high up. His voice is not of the same quality as Freddie Mercury or Aretha Franklin, but he has one of the most special and influencial voices ever. I love to sing while listening to music, but with Dylan it's almost impossible. Same with Thom Yorke. They both add so much to the music.

I'm glad Lou Reed made it on to the list. I can't get enough of the way he sings!
I'm not just sure.. I'm HIV positive.

Offline MikeSmith

• Frequent Poster
    • My Strange New Mexico
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 02:53:55 PM »
I understand very well why Bob Dylan is so high up. His voice is not of the same quality as Freddie Mercury or Aretha Franklin, but he has one of the most special and influencial voices ever. I love to sing while listening to music, but with Dylan it's almost impossible. Same with Thom Yorke. They both add so much to the music.

I'm glad Lou Reed made it on to the list. I can't get enough of the way he sings!

You: have excellent taste in music.
2012  <---Google Bomb it!

www.mystrangenewmexico.com

Offline susande

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Tee hee
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2008, 03:20:53 PM »

Oh thank you! :-*

Offline MikeSmith

• Frequent Poster
    • My Strange New Mexico
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 03:40:50 PM »

Oh thank you! :-*

Seriously, everyone you mentioned is amazing.  "Heroin" ought to be on the next space probe we send out--hell, the whole VU discography should be.

Offline susande

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Tee hee
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 05:21:13 PM »
I have to admit I started listening to(early) Lou Reed a few weeks ago (part of why I'm so crazy about him right now), so I hadn't heard Heroin. I'm listening to it right now, can't wait to listen to the entire album! Who's VU?

I'm going mental over Andy's Chest right now. Anyone who is not convinced Reed is an AWESOME singer should listen to it!

Offline MikeSmith

• Frequent Poster
    • My Strange New Mexico
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 05:40:29 PM »
I have to admit I started listening to(early) Lou Reed a few weeks ago (part of why I'm so crazy about him right now), so I hadn't heard Heroin. I'm listening to it right now, can't wait to listen to the entire album! Who's VU?

The Velvet Underground! 

Who's playing the version of "Heroin" you're listening to?

Offline susande

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Tee hee
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2008, 05:46:44 PM »
Lou Reed! I supposed that was who you were talking about since I mentioned him, so I youtubed it. :) Dunno if it's the same song, but it was good. I'll check out Velvet Underground tomorrow as an excuse not to read for my exams.

Offline MikeSmith

• Frequent Poster
    • My Strange New Mexico
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2008, 05:47:40 PM »
Lou Reed! I supposed that was who you were talking about since I mentioned him, so I youtubed it. :) Dunno if it's the same song, but it was good. I'll check out Velvet Underground tomorrow as an excuse not to read for my exams.

You know Lou Reed was the singer for the Velvet Underground, right?

Offline susande

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Tee hee
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2008, 05:50:17 PM »

As I mentioned, I downloaded Lou Reed a few (two) weeks ago....  Still, a little embarrassing I didn't know that.

Offline MikeSmith

• Frequent Poster
    • My Strange New Mexico
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2008, 05:51:26 PM »
That's all right.  I'm actually kind of envious of you.  You are about to discover the music of the Velvet Underground.  And that's quite an experience.

Offline susande

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Tee hee
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2008, 05:54:59 PM »
Oh, fantastic! I started listening to Neil Young this fall also.. I love finding "new", great music. :D

Offline MikeSmith

• Frequent Poster
    • My Strange New Mexico
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2008, 06:06:41 PM »
Oh, fantastic! I started listening to Neil Young this fall also.. I love finding "new", great music. :D

Here's a favorite newer musician--Soltero.  He's a guy who's been very influenced by most of the musicians you've mentioned, particularly Neil Young and Bob Dylan, and he's a skeptic.

Buy his music, and I promise you'll be glad you did.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/PIMLBNKLQAY/ref=cm_syt_dtpa_f_1_rdssss1?pf_rd_p=253470201&pf_rd_s=sylt-center&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0014DC10O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=02CSV1RE2V5BPXZGHSD2

Offline schubertiad

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Schubertiad's Music
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2008, 06:12:51 PM »
Too bad they missed two of the greats: Rob Halford and Ronnie James Dio.  Even if you're not into heavy metal, you have to admit those two have amazing pipes. 

For that matter, where's Ann Wilson?

These folk's voices are forces of nature.
The universe is the way it is regardless of your philosophy or religion, and science is a way to understand it as it is. If it doesn't line up with your philosophy or religion, it's time to learn anew.

Offline Leslie 417

• Well Established
  • Queen of Boobs
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2008, 06:17:20 PM »

For that matter, where's Ann Wilson?

Good question, she has an amazing voice!
Personally I would love to see something like "Gods apathy for Williams' family allowed family of four to die in car wreck"   ~ kat96