Author Topic: Rolling Stone Top 100 Singers  (Read 7391 times)

Offline Im a Hedge

• Off to a Start
Re: Rolling Stone Top 100 Singers
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2008, 08:48:35 AM »
Greg Lake doesn't make the "Top 100"? Have they heard Epitaph?

I am a Hedge

Offline MikeSmith

• Frequent Poster
    • My Strange New Mexico
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2008, 11:49:22 AM »
I just got this issue.  Right from the start, placing Ray Charles above Elvis seems just wrong.
2012  <---Google Bomb it!

www.mystrangenewmexico.com

Offline Evil Eye

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • THINK!
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2008, 02:24:44 PM »
I don't see Dana Owens on that list anywhere. She's 1000 times better than half of those people at SINGING.

If you don't know who Dana Owens is...... well.. sorry.
"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.

Offline IrishJazz

• serpent in a fool's paradise
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Possibly Possibilian
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2008, 02:53:36 PM »
I don't see Dana Owens on that list anywhere. She's 1000 times better than half of those people at SINGING.

If you don't know who Dana Owens is...... well.. sorry.

Wasn't she the queen or something? 
"When a dirty fighter realizes he has no legs left, he aims low." - Jennifer McDonald, NYTimes book review

Offline Zeno Izen

• AWESOME POSSUM!
  • Frequent Poster
  • F'ing F!!!
    • The Final Website
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2008, 03:34:30 PM »
Lou Reed ranks higher than Karen Carpenter... this is supposed to be a list about who can sing good?

:-\

Offline IrishJazz

• serpent in a fool's paradise
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Possibly Possibilian
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2008, 10:15:05 PM »
Lou Reed ranks higher than Karen Carpenter... this is supposed to be a list about who can sing good?

To be English-prickly, I think it is a list of who can sing rock and roll well.  Karen Carpenter sings real treacly/sticky good, but makes my teeth hurt.  The list is just bait for comment.
"When a dirty fighter realizes he has no legs left, he aims low." - Jennifer McDonald, NYTimes book review

Offline schubertiad

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Schubertiad's Music
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2008, 04:34:56 PM »

It seems they are looking for subjective aesthetic choices and individuality rather than technical merit or virtuosity.  You can be a technically lousy singer but still have a great sound, full of character and experience.  You can be a technically great singer but lack artistic integrity or individuality--like the folks on American Idol.  They pick people who have the chops, but who will never make a real mark on music because they lack originality.  Guys like Mick Jagger and Morrissey would never make it past the initial audition on American Idol, and yet what they offer musically is worth so much more 'cause they do it their own way.  They have their influences, but nobody sounds like them.  If all we had were American Idol finalists, music would die.

But yeah, it's all just a matter of person opinion. 
The universe is the way it is regardless of your philosophy or religion, and science is a way to understand it as it is. If it doesn't line up with your philosophy or religion, it's time to learn anew.