Author Topic: Server problem forced restore of DB from backup data.  (Read 820 times)

Offline ducky

• Well Established
    • http://skepticwiki.org
Server problem forced restore of DB from backup data.
« on: November 21, 2008, 07:21:40 PM »
I have been working on readying the site for an upgrade to the latest SMF version this weekend.  While doing some routing queries and data integrity checks I lost my connection to the server.  When I managed to re-establish my connection the DB user table was corrupted beyond repair for 50-100 users (by estimate, and several panel members as well as my account were among those affected.)  Thankfully, before I had started work this afternoon I had taken a backup of the database.  In order to fix this issue, I restored the database from backup.

All posts from 5:22pm CST (GMT-6) and 6pm were lost.  Anyone who registered during that time was lost.  I am attempting to recover that data from the corrupted DB I dumped out before I did the restore from backup.

Sorry for the inconvenience.  We are working to create mirrored databases off site to avoid this type of data loss in the future.  This will be part of the weekend upgrade maintenance.