Author Topic: Collectors of Vinyl  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Evil Eye

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • THINK!
Re: Collectors of Vinyl
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 03:20:46 PM »
Wish I had known.

I just (last year) threw out my entire collection. About 350 albums.

Everything from the Disco Duck - K-Tel album, to Spanky & the Gang, to Harry Belafonte sings Madison Square Garden to Robin Trower... etc.. all the way up to Megadeth-Killing is My Business & Business is Good.
"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 03:24:41 PM »
I have an original print of Magical Mystery Tour in mint condition complete with picture book. My dad's friend found it in his attic - he got it for christmas one year but never really liked the Beatles (apparently) so he only listened to it once.

I got into a discussion last night with someone to whom I was recommending Olivia Tremor Control.  I mentioned how reminiscent of the Beatles they are, and she cut me off, "Oh, I HATE the Beatles" :o

I just don't get that.  How can you hate the Beatles?

Offline Evil Eye

• THINK!
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 03:52:57 PM »
...or the Ruttles!

Kidding aside... younger people that can't stand Oasis may hate the Beatles.
"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.

Offline Mr. Marburg

• Off to a Start
    • FaceBook
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »

For my birf' day several years ago, a friend of mine signed me up for a Seven-Inch of the month club.

Karyn probably wants some information on this club...

;)

It was through Fat Wreck Chords. It was neat seeing what came in the mail, but I seldom received LP's from bands I was actually into from that label, HOWEVER the subscription introduced me to Consumed and Frenzal Rhomb, whom I still love to listen to. They also send you tons of posters and stickers, which kind of makes it feel like getting a monthly goodie bag.

Kidding aside... younger people that can't stand Oasis may hate the Beatles.

Nuh-uh!

I like The Beatles, but can't stand Oasis.
"..and that's not opinion, that's science, and science is one cold-hearted bitch with A 14-inch strap-on." -Vince Masuka, Dexter

Offline filip_

• Seasoned Contributor
  • the skeptical artist
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2008, 02:30:35 PM »
I just bought a new copy of "house does it feel?" by Dylan.
-the praying men keep preying on my soul-
Does anyone else see the irony of swine flue in Israel?
"Blasphemy is, and will ever remain a victimless crime." -david oswald

Offline MikeSmith

• Frequent Poster
    • My Strange New Mexico
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 07:25:59 PM »
There's only a few *really* good record stores in Calgary so it's hard to find what you want, but whenever I'm in San Francisco I can easily spend an entire day at Amoeba. Has anyone ever been there? There's at least one other Amoeba in California, and another... somewhere else. I've only been to the SF one. But yeah, amazing place. Really makes Calgary seem lamer than it is.

Amoeba is great, though its selection is so huge and its staff such music snobs that I'm almost always paralyzed by the experience.  You need to spend a whole day there to do it any justice.
2012  <---Google Bomb it!

www.mystrangenewmexico.com

Offline Mr. Marburg

• Off to a Start
    • FaceBook
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 02:17:27 PM »
Wow, I just looked it up on googlemaps to see if there was Street Light Records in SF, I didn't know it was such a huge chain(I bet 'Music Snob' is part of the hiring criteria :p). I remember the one I would visit in Santa Cruz had EVERYTHING, and would always be a required stop if we were visiting SC.

The little music stores I've been to here in Seattle always seem either skimpy or thoroughly gutted. At least there are alternatives when I decide I would like something in particular (thank you, internet).
"..and that's not opinion, that's science, and science is one cold-hearted bitch with A 14-inch strap-on." -Vince Masuka, Dexter

Offline Get_Real

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 03:07:19 AM »
My two pride and joys are.

1. The Who: Dance Sessions ep.(1966)  An Australian only release.

2. The original Elvis' Christmas Album with fold-out book cover in near mint condition. Unfortunately no sticker. Cost $aus 400 twenty three years ago.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it".   - Terry Pratchett

Offline MikeSmith

• Frequent Poster
    • My Strange New Mexico
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 12:04:27 PM »
I just bought a new copy of "house does it feel?" by Dylan.

I can only wonder about what you might mean here.  A Google search didn't help either.  Do you mean the song "Like A Rolling Stone"?
2012  <---Google Bomb it!

www.mystrangenewmexico.com

personate-rain