Author Topic: Bands you loved, but now hate.  (Read 6227 times)

Offline Monster Island

• Not Enough Spare Time
Bands you loved, but now hate.
« on: December 01, 2008, 12:46:22 AM »
Alkaline Trio.  They were a favorite of mine during highschool because their music was really raw and unpolished.  Then they started getting popular and their music molded into rather unspecial, polished junk.

Example
Old
http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/tuHUyyhgspc

New
http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/ZM0rkQ3tKdg
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 12:47:58 AM by Monster Island »
Actually a peninsula.

Offline Ampatent

• Well Established
  • Still Working on That Doctorate....
Re: Bands you loved, but now hate.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 12:49:31 AM »
Lots of rap music, but that was just because I was going through the "conformity" phase in my life and everyone at school listened to rap. I vaguely remember sitting at my computer listening to Ludacris feeling like a ganksta.

Luckily, I discovered the 70's-80's rock music that has greatly affected my life and am happy living in the past.

Offline gone

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 12:51:01 AM »
In Flames 
I really don't like their direction since about 2004, everything before that rocked.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 12:18:21 PM »
I don't hate Wilco, and their live show is still great, but ever since Jeff Tweedy got off the pain pills the music has suffered.

Modest Mouse's new stuff is also much weaker than the old. I think they're just going for a new sound which is OK, but it's just not as rockin as the older stuff.

White Stripes killed me with Get Behind Me Satan. That album was trash. Their newest is good, but not as good as White Blood Cells or Elephant.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 12:30:35 PM »
I used to love Ace of Base.  You can point and laugh now.  I was about 14 when I got over it.

The latest album from A Perfect Circle, eMOTIVe, is pretty much garbage.  I really wanted to like it, but I just can't stand it.

Last Dave Matthews Band album is pretty bad too.  Yeah yeah, I know you people hate DMB, but w/e... I still like the old stuff :P

Matthew Good Band... Audio of Being was a write-off IMO.  I kept buying his solo albums, because I really admire the guy, but it just isn't the same.  It's really too bad.  Again, I still listen to the old stuff and I think Beatiful Midnight is one of my favourite albums of all time from any band.

Offline David E.

• Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 12:40:27 PM »
Metalica. 

I got sick of Iron Maiden for a while.  Their albums over the last couple years have beeen damn good though.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 12:45:36 PM by davidsverse »
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline Monster Island

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 02:28:12 PM »
I don't hate Wilco, and their live show is still great, but ever since Jeff Tweedy got off the pain pills the music has suffered.

Modest Mouse's new stuff is also much weaker than the old. I think they're just going for a new sound which is OK, but it's just not as rockin as the older stuff.

White Stripes killed me with Get Behind Me Satan. That album was trash. Their newest is good, but not as good as White Blood Cells or Elephant.

I agree on all fronts.

The first White Stripes album is my favorite of theirs.  It's so damn raw, and so were the following up to Elephant which started to sound a bit more polished, but still kicked.  I didn't bother with their latest because I hated Satan so much.  Perhaps I'll give it a listen. 
Actually a peninsula.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 02:32:04 PM »
Metalica. 

I got sick of Iron Maiden for a while.  Their albums over the last couple years have beeen damn good though.

I really really liked "Brave New World".  Haven't heard any of the other more recent records though.

I've come full circle with Metallica.  I sorta kicked them to the curb when the Bob Rock era started, and now that they just released the album that SHOULD have been the follow up to "And Justice For All", I like em again.
Well.  There it is.

Offline AccuJimmy

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Skeptacos are a given.
    • Mi MySpace page-o
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 03:43:45 PM »
Not that they are at all relavent musically these days --- Van Halen. I was such a big fan back in HS I wanted a VH logo tat. Now I can't even face how terrible most of Van Hagar really was.

Most of my other old favorite bands are still ok. I don't listen to them anymore but I don't cringe when I hear it either.
What's so special about the cheesemakers?
Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.

What Jesus fails to appreciate is that it's the meek who are the problem.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 04:09:07 PM »
I was a huuuuuuge Dream Theater fan in HS.

Can't stand them now.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 04:10:09 PM »
I was a huuuuuuge Dream Theater fan in HS.

Can't stand them now.

Oh god.

I totally forgot about Dream Theater.....

I liked them momentarily, but then realized they were a bunch of mincing fairies.....not that there's anything wrong with that....

LOL...
Well.  There it is.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 04:44:57 PM »
Metallica.  I was also a little disappointed with eMotive, except 3 songs.  Def Lepard, Motley Crue, Warrant and various other glam rock bands I was really in love with when I was 12.

Offline LadyK

• Mistress of Fail, and not a rough loose cactus
  • Frequent Poster
  • How long, how long will I slide?
    • http://www.myspace.com/kempswife
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 06:14:09 PM »
Alkaline Trio.  They were a favorite of mine during highschool because their music was really raw and unpolished.  Then they started getting popular and their music molded into rather unspecial, polished junk.

Example
Old
http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/tuHUyyhgspc

New
http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/ZM0rkQ3tKdg

My ex- girlfriend knows them personally.

just saying.... :) I know nothing of them...just wore a lot their t-shirts.

Offline gone

• Well Established
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 06:19:01 PM »
Metalica. 

I really really liked "Brave New World".  Haven't heard any of the other more recent records though.

I've come full circle with Metallica.  I sorta kicked them to the curb when the Bob Rock era started, and now that they just released the album that SHOULD have been the follow up to "And Justice For All", I like em again.

You should definitely check out A Matter of Life and Death and Dance of Death if you liked Brave New World

Offline shawmutt

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Squirrel Murderer
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 11:31:18 PM »
All of the late 80s to mid 90s bands who don't have the decency to stop making new stuff--DMB, Metallica (stopped being good after Justice), Guns N Roses, etc.

As far as favorite albums that I hate now--Rage against the Machine, really good live, but they came up on my iPod one day and I realized I hated them now.  Deftones is another on that list.

There's DMB haters here? Why?  Their early stuff was great, they still have a great show, they just started sucking after a while.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 11:33:20 PM by shawmutt »

personate-rain