Author Topic: Joe Satriani sues Coldplay or Is there nothing new under the sun?  (Read 2381 times)

Offline I Doubt It

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Doubtful blog
Variety Story
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117996984.html?categoryid=16&cs=1&nid=2568

I do not know the Joe S. song but have heard the clip. Sure it sounds similar but its not exact and not some overly complex thing. In fact, when I heard Viva la Vida song, it sounded familiar.  The question(s) are: is it really copied intentionally, was it unintentional or just a coincidence? Coincidence is not that unlikely, I think - the notes just sound good together.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
Re: Joe Satriani sues Coldplay or Is there nothing new under the sun?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 07:21:48 PM »
Interesting. There was a thread about the new coldplay album a few months ago, and there was a small debate about this very thing.

Check it out:
http://skepchick.org/skepticsguide/index.php/topic,13776.0.html

I agree with Sandwich (no bias, I swear!) that it's not a copy, and that this won't fly in court.

Offline nocturnous

• Time Lord
  • Well Established
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 08:59:49 PM »
good for him, and I obviously can hear the same exact rhythmical progression, drum beat and in the same key. The vocal melodies are simpler but not to argue from authority but Satriani is a musical genius, and a move like this either will win him a case or he's basically a decent pr move.  Either way he knows what he is doing.

You can't copyright a "riff" but so many elements to these songs are the same that he has a very good case.

It's possible it's coincidental , or unintentionally inspired, but still even so ,copy rights are also first come first serve.

Offline Zabulon

• Fails the Turing-test
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • Foxhole atheist
    • My band
In Cod we Trust

Offline I Doubt It

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Doubtful blog
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 07:05:34 AM »
THAT WAS EXCELLENT !!!!!!

Tears are streaming down my face. :D :D :D
I was a second violinist - so I loved Pachabel's Canon. It was my favorite but for a few stanzas, we had to play those eight notes too.

Also, it did relate to the topics. I thoroughly agree. Now, I gotta go fix my eyeliner...

Offline nocturnous

• Time Lord
  • Well Established
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 03:00:59 PM »
lol

Offline schubertiad

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Schubertiad's Music
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 05:24:17 PM »
There is quite a strong resemblance between the two songs.  Whether this was coincidence or subconscious I don't know. 

Speaking as a songwriter, though, this is just the kind of thing you think about when a song comes to you.  Sometimes the song just feels like it's coming from an internal radio station, like you're recalling it vividly from memory, and as you write it out or start playing the song, you're wondering "Did I hear this somewhere before?  Is this somebody else's song I'm remembering?"  Occasionally it is, but most of the time any resemblances are superficial. 

Nonetheless, every songwriter draws from their influences.  You can't help it.  Nobody comes up with a completely original musical language for their songs.  Hopefully you put your own sound and personal stamp on it so that it ends up a new song and not just a rehash.
The universe is the way it is regardless of your philosophy or religion, and science is a way to understand it as it is. If it doesn't line up with your philosophy or religion, it's time to learn anew.

Offline Evil Eye

• THINK!
"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.

Offline Dolomedes

• Seasoned Contributor
    • RatioBlog
Warning: I have a brain, and I know how to use it.

50 Books for 2009 and 2010

Offline Evil Eye

• THINK!
"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.

Offline I Doubt It

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Doubtful blog
Re: Satriani sues Coldplay
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 08:55:19 PM »
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/archive/2008/12/07/216213.aspx

OK, the Hearts video was hysterical - they DO NOT make vids like that anymore and good thing too. Now, I liked that song but it never entered my mind before w/ respect to the Coldplay song.

personate-rain
personate-rain