Author Topic: Adams interview  (Read 20961 times)

Offline cyborganics

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • http://www.cyborganics.org
Adams interview
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 05:50:15 PM »
I'm not sure I would have been able to exercise the patience and constraint you all demonstrated during the interview. I had to wonder if at some point you guys double checked the mute on your mics so everyone wouldn't hear your sighs. I can just imagine what Perry would have been mummbling under his breath.
cientist: A man who knows nothing until there is nothing left to understand.

www.cyborganics.org

Offline Gilnei

• Well Established
  • Resident Brazilian Skeptic
Adams interview
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 05:50:56 PM »
Wait until you read the next installment of their exchange. It will be on the site soon and I promise nothing short of a “Holy SH**” response by all of you.

Why, oh why do you torture me so? I already have to stop myself from checking the discussion for updates every 15 minutes, this teaser is just sheer cruelty.  :)
Scientists are the leading cause of cancer in lab rats.

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Adams interview
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 12:27:17 AM »
Next installment is up.

Now, excuse me while I go nurse my sanity a bit.
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline gost

Adams interview
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 12:48:53 AM »
Thanks for sticking up for sanity Steve.

Offline JD

• Seasoned Contributor
Adams interview
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 12:50:17 AM »
Wow.  Those in the internet circles may refer to these exchanges as ownings on a grand scale.
roblem with the forum?  email me: leykial *at* yahoo *dot* com
Turn on, tune in, drop out, and shut the hell up, hippie.
"I'm a pretty good researcher ." - Neal Adams

Offline cyborganics

• http://www.cyborganics.org
Adams interview
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 01:02:02 AM »
14 pages more!!!

:shock:

You are a saint; Dr. Novella. Lesser men would have gutted themselves and or struck out in furious anger and vengeance at this point.
cientist: A man who knows nothing until there is nothing left to understand.

www.cyborganics.org

Offline Denis 20100

• Brand New
Adams interview
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2006, 02:55:26 AM »
Wow, just read the last install

To pick up re: sanity

I feel it is important  to recognize that at times we are arguing with individuals who do not have all completely functioning mental systems.  A narcissist, for example, reacts very strongly to criticism, lashing back with forceful emotion, resenting profoundly that others cannot acknowledge his brilliance.   Also, if a person, who makes countless logical and factual errors claims that he is in fact smarter than everyone, in all fields, he is deluding himself to the highest degree.  This, in my mind, indicates a complete lack of insight and introspection.

Thankfully (I hope), these individuals don't win at the end of the day (although I do admit that probably a few can cause some real damage when at the wrong place at the wrong time)

Which leads to one important question: When must you deal with them? When can you ignore them?

Offline Wonko the Sane

• Well Established
Adams interview
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2006, 03:56:08 AM »
Wow thanks Steve, This is great stuff.

Steve wrote: “It sounds suspiciously like you are trying to shift the burden of proof
here. You are the one claiming to have overturned virtually all of modern science. It is not unreasonable to expect a tidbit of evidence.”

Neal Adams wrote : Are you suggesting that I provide a new invention , or show you a discovery of some magic thing that no one else has ever made before,like a flying mechanical donkey?

This is pure gold.
'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

"People in bamboo houses should not throw pandas" -Jesus

Offline Carl

• The Number You Are Thinking Of
Adams interview
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2006, 04:50:05 AM »
Just a quick perusal of Neil Adam's website (http://www.nealadams.com/nmu.html) illustrates perfectly how he not only cherry picks data but how he purposefully misrepresents the work of others...

Now, today, scientists have admitted the undeniable facts that rifting and spreading of tectonic plates takes place on our sister planet Mars.

and he provides the link: http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n0510/17marsmap/

Neil takes this article that explains how there is proof that Mars at some point in the past experienced plate tectonics. Neil tries to put spin on this article to imply that this is proof that Mars is still undergoing tectonic shift. The article does not state this at all.

Steven - you have the patience of a saint. I can't imagine how many exclamation marks you had to remove, or how many sentences you had to render to lower case, just make his responses more readable.

Offline Wonko the Sane

• Well Established
Adams interview
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2006, 05:04:33 AM »
Based on how his arguments have progressed I can imagine his next letter now.....

-I CAN"T HEAR YOU LALALALALALALALA HEAT RISES LALALALALALALALA A HYDROGEN ATOM IS A NUTRON LALALALLALALALALALALA
'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

"People in bamboo houses should not throw pandas" -Jesus

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Adams interview
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2006, 07:09:33 AM »
Well, I have to remind myself that I am not responding for him. I have no expectation of penetrating his delusion. He is far too invested in it.

The purpose of the exchange is twofold
1 - to entertain and inform all of you
2 - research into the nature of pseudosciece, there is definitely an article in all of this raw material.

The hardest thing in responding is going back and removing all the sarcastic comments I would like to make.
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline JHGRedekop

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • http://77track7.blogspot.com
Adams interview
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2006, 07:17:54 AM »
I find it remarkable that someone can know that the US spent years of working out just how to make an atomic bomb work, doing reams of calculations based on nuclear theory, and got it to work, as expected -- and that there are now power plants and submarines powered by nuclear reactors based on that same nuclear theory, and also insist that the theory is fundamentally wrong.

If "The processd [of fusion] doesn't happen the way we think it does", then the hydrogen bomb wouldn't work.

Offline gost

Adams interview
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2006, 09:32:27 AM »
Let's face it, you really just can't win a debate with Neal Adams, at least in his mind. He simply denies everything that doesn't fit into his crackpot notions. Adams' scientific method seems to be: "I thunk it, SO IT'S GOTTA BE TRUE!!!!"

His absolute best line was: "THAT'S A LIE AND I CAN PROVE IT IN A SNAP."

Which seems to be how he proves ALL of his points. *SNAP* The Earth is expanding. . . *SNAP* No such thing as gravity. . . *SNAP* Subduction doesn't happen. . . *SNAP* The moon is hollow. . . *SNAP* ad infinitum. . .

His understanding of thermodynamics ("Heat Rises! Ever hear that.")  gave me a pretty good chuckle too. ("......say it with me .....HEAT RISES!")

Steve, that was an excellent point that lower gravity would have had an effect on the depth of dinosaur prints and the length of their stride. The astronaut analogy was perfect. Also, the idea that pterosaurs should have gotten SMALLER over time if Adams was correct.

Anyway, great job on all of it, Steve. Thanks.

PS- We really DO want to hear all those sarcastic comments you wanted to make.  :wink:

Offline JohnMaddox

• Off to a Start
Adams interview
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2006, 01:00:35 PM »
Because a hydrogen atom IS a Neutron.

YOU ARE NOT READY FOR THIS , YET , STEVEN.

Nor am I.   Could it possibly get any wackier than this?

*Sigh*  Oh well, I guess we'll always have that incredible image of Batman running in "The Joker's Five-Way Revenge" in Batman #251.

-John

Offline Gilnei

• Well Established
  • Resident Brazilian Skeptic
Adams interview
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2006, 01:21:36 PM »
...until he decides that Batman's neck would simply snap at that speed.  :lol:
Scientists are the leading cause of cancer in lab rats.