Author Topic: Ninja Vs Pirates! B2B II [Shin and town wins!]  (Read 36853 times)

Offline Casper

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Ninja Vs Pirates! B2B II [Day 10, 3 to lynch]
« Reply #720 on: March 05, 2009, 01:35:31 AM »
It's just that man... really.... The Wiggles?  ;D

Offline alexbutterfield

• Frequent Poster
  • Wins with Town
« Reply #721 on: March 05, 2009, 02:10:12 AM »
I know. I've never heard of it before.

C'mon Casper, you won't regret it. There's no more arguments I can make. TF has played it well and he's done a fine job to get this close to winning today, but the proof against him is just too much to deny and the evidence against me is overwhelmingly countered by the evidence for me

Against me                                                 
My pirate claim is weird
I can't explain night 8s no kill                       

For me
My RC is something Anach would know and I wouldnt know
I can explain night 9s no kill - I role blocked (jailkept) TF
I told you about my power before I gave it (unlike TF who just desperately counter-claimed)
I started bandwagons against scum
I've been maybe the most active player (not a usual scum tactic)

----------------
Now playing: Brian Dunning - Skeptoid #142: Student Questions: Sugary Behavior, Secondhand Smoke, and Wal-Mart
via FoxyTunes

Offline Tai Fung

• Frequent Poster
    • Everybody Tai Fung Tonight!
« Reply #722 on: March 05, 2009, 08:28:48 AM »
I love these "here are the pro and con lists" when they're made by one of the advocates.  It's all, "On the one hand, I'm great, and on the other hand, he sucks."  So rather than make one, I'll simply refute yours.

First of all, counterclaims in Mafia ARE standard.  You don't come out and announce yourself as Homer Simpson unless someone else s trying to claim that (which would be stupid in a Simpsons Mafia, etc.).  You don't claim Doc early on (I RC'd on day two), because it hurts the town.

Next, I backed off lynching Mr. Ben when I was RIGHT THERE and could have done it, but something didn't seem right.  You have also participated in the lynching of Townies.  So I had the same concern over Wastrel, because of the Watchmen connection.  Anachronism being interested in Watchmen seems WAY more plausible than her liking a children's pirate.  So I didn't vote to lynch Wastrel, the same way I deliberately unvoted against Mr. Ben.

Furthermore, YOU pushed for the lynch on Karyn, and then immediately moved onto Shin when Karyn was willing to sacrifice herself.  I simply unvoted and wanted to talk it out.

Anyway, your claim IS out of character for the game, and a counterclaim is a legitimate way we have of rooting out scum.  Your activity in the game, which you declare is NOT a usual scum tactic, is actually not a good indicator.  Some scum are all over the game, others lay low.

So, again, I say to Shin, you have an observer, Casper, who is not as on the fence as you, which is a decent barometer that my claim, power, and activity are more on the up-and-up than someone who "forgot" his action two nights ago until the error was pointed out.
Atheism should be about "Science and Social Justice" the same way Math should be about "Numbers and Fashion."

Offline alexbutterfield

• Frequent Poster
  • Wins with Town
« Reply #723 on: March 05, 2009, 10:54:02 AM »
none  of that refutes anything - that's just talking. seriously?

First of all, counterclaims in Mafia ARE standard.  ... a counterclaim is a legitimate way we have of rooting out scum.

That's a straw man and you know it. While a counter-claim in the early game when Mafia happen to duplicate a role is a good way of swinging the numbers, that's a very dfferent situation to the 'desperate counter-claim' of a player who was just found guilty as says... 'no, but, wait, cos I'm the cop actually, believe me instead.'

Furthermore, YOU pushed for the lynch on Karyn, and then immediately moved onto Shin when Karyn was willing to sacrifice herself.  I simply unvoted and wanted to talk it out.

And a non sequitur. Of course town back lynches against town - because we don't know they are town. When Karyn gave me reason to think she was town, I unvoted. At that point of the game there was nothing better to go on than a list and Shin was next on it.

But thanks for pointing out an indictment of you I'd missed.

I did move on to Shin, but then the next day, after my night action resulted in a no-kill, I changed to the obvious scum. you.

Yet more evidence for Casper.

Your activity in the game, which you declare is NOT a usual scum tactic, is actually not a good indicator.  Some scum are all over the game, others lay low.

Fair point. But what is more common is that scum lay low (so they arent called out early and have to make an RC that might duplicate a town RC) and then they get more prominent either when they have established a good alibi, or when it gets desperate.

So while I've been consistently active, you have been typical mafia (at first I thought you'd been cleverer than that and posted consistently (but I think that was the baader meinhof phenomenon - I'd just got to know you in the last mafia so your name stood out to me) but when I check back you hardly posted at all until I accused you.

Your refuting didn't go so well - you might want to try making your own list after all.

Offline Tai Fung

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #724 on: March 05, 2009, 11:20:04 AM »
This is just more of the same stuff you're coming up with.  You accuse me of strawmen, but overlook the main points I've posted over and over, throughout this Current Day?  Then, to top it off, you declare your points are all better, and move along.  Luckily, you're not the Arbiter of that.  I'm simply laying out my arguments, and asking Shin to review them.

In fact, Casper is a good barometer, since he didn't share Shin's reticence, it's a means of her having an independent way to finally vote for you.

And, if this wasn't already obvious, I'm posting tons now because I HAVE A POINT -- I caught you in a lie/error/mistake/whatever, and it's now caused you to try and get me lynched.  I suspect if you were targeting Casper, he'd have this back and forth instead.  Remember -- when we didn't have a night kill the first night, you didn't say a peep.  I had protected that night, but still couldn't make myself a target.  But now that you think you're in the endgame (and when I led the day off voting for you) you have picked the only choice you have.
Atheism should be about "Science and Social Justice" the same way Math should be about "Numbers and Fashion."

Offline Tai Fung

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #725 on: March 05, 2009, 12:46:33 PM »
By the way, to Casper and Shin -- one thing I do agree with Alex on wholeheartedly is that if we have no lynch, we're basically at a stalemate. 

Alex wrote a (very) long post about this earlier in the Current Day, but to boil it down, consider:

Whether I am Mafia, or Alex is Mafia, the Mafia can simply choose not to do a kill tonight, which will keep the confusion about whether Alex's "Jailkeeper" claim or my Doc claim in play.

If I am Mafia, and I kill Alex, then I would be lynched the next day, because you and Casper would see that Alex was telling the truth.

If Alex is Mafia, and kills me, then HE would be lynched the next day, because you and Casper would see that --I-- am telling the truth.

That just leaves either Shin or Casper as targets.  And then we're looking at a 50/50 chance of Doc Protection, depending on which of you I guess to protect (if you believe me), or his "Jailkeeper" action (if you believe him).  Oh, and if I guess correctly, we're back at the competing claims again.  So either way, that gets us another night of no kills, and puts us back here.  Ugh. 

So what I'm saying is (since Shin hasn't logged in since yesterday) is that Shin should give a good look at the points and arguments, and just make a decision, because we really will be in "Groundhog Day" land if we don't. 

Not as "boiled down" a version of Alex's longer post as I'd hoped.  But suffice it to say, either lynch me, or lynch him, but do make a choice Shin!

Offline alexbutterfield

• Frequent Poster
  • Wins with Town
« Reply #726 on: March 05, 2009, 02:42:55 PM »
or casper

ftfy

Offline Casper

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #727 on: March 05, 2009, 03:28:24 PM »
Also this is a "Back to Basics" game (supposedly at least) A Back to Basics game with no Doc but with a Jailkeeper? ORLY?

Offline alexbutterfield

• Frequent Poster
  • Wins with Town
« Reply #728 on: March 05, 2009, 04:42:53 PM »
Yes really.

Good game guys. Well played TF, you're on a roll.

Sorry Shin, Casper, and the rest of the pirates. No one can say I didn't give it my best shot.

vote: alexbutterfield

Offline Anachronism

• Sudo believe my RC
  • Well Established
  • Posts only in mafia games
« Reply #729 on: March 06, 2009, 03:25:38 AM »
No one likes the Wiggles? :'(

Lynched - Alexbutterfield - Captain Feathersword, Jailkeeper

Night the last~ Send in actions!

Offline Anachronism

• Sudo believe my RC
  • Well Established
Re: Ninja Vs Pirates! B2B II [Night 10]
« Reply #730 on: March 06, 2009, 10:45:49 AM »
It was more or less a forgone conclusion.

DEAD - Casper, Long John Silver, VT

Except for this part.

DEAD - Tai Fung, Tiger Tanaka, Mafia Goon

Winner - Shin Hatsubai, Bartholomew Roberts (Black Bart), Vigilante
(Well, and the rest of the town, but you're all dead. :p)

Edit: I'll put all the roles and actions up tomorrow. But something I want to say: Save your outgoing PMs, people! Write it down in a notepad as well or something! It was unfortunate for the mafia that one of the final 3 was a vig, otherwise they would've won.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 10:48:41 AM by Anachronism »

Offline Casper

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Ninja Vs Pirates! B2B II [Shin and town wins!]
« Reply #731 on: March 06, 2009, 11:06:34 AM »
Mu-ha! Nicely done Shin.

Still... Jailkeeper? come on Anach this was supposed to be back to basics :P

good game

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #732 on: March 06, 2009, 11:08:32 AM »
and 3 vigilante.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Tai Fung

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #733 on: March 06, 2009, 11:20:40 AM »
No hard feelings all!  Just played my heart out, and kept trying to exploit anything I could for an advantage.

Offline Anachronism

• Sudo believe my RC
  • Well Established
« Reply #734 on: March 06, 2009, 11:30:11 AM »
Mu-ha! Nicely done Shin.

Still... Jailkeeper? come on Anach this was supposed to be back to basics :P

good game
You obviously didn't read through Cops and Robbers. :D

The point was that there was a cost to being protected at night.  :)

personate-rain