Author Topic: The Lost Tomb of Anna Nicole  (Read 3272 times)

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
The Lost Tomb of Anna Nicole
« on: March 03, 2007, 07:36:38 PM »
Curiously, while I was listening to the podcast (#84), I looked ahead in the Tivo listings and noticed Discovery has a show coming on immediately after that Jesus Tomb thing called The Lost Tomb of Jesus: A Critical Look. Apparently it'll be hosted by Ted Koppel. That show might prove to be more interesting than the actual "documentary."

Quote from: "The Discovery Channel"
   Panelists featured on THE LOST TOMB OF JESUS: A CRITICAL LOOK include:

-- James Tabor, Department of Religious Studies, University of North
         Carolina
    -- Darrell Bock, Professor of New Testament Studies at Dallas Theological
         Seminary, past president of the Evangelical Theological Society
    -- The Very Rev. David O'Connell, C.M., President, The Catholic University
         of America
    -- William Dever, professor emeritus of Near Eastern archaeology and
         anthropology at the University of Arizona
    -- Simcha Jacobovici, Investigative Journalist and Filmmaker

I see one archaeologist on that list. One religious historian. One journalist. And possibly four true believers.

My favorite quote from the press release:

Quote from: "The Discovery Channel"
Koppel, who has no connection to the production of THE LOST TOMB OF JESUS, will bring his independent journalistic perspective to the evidence introduced in the documentary.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 07:48:00 AM »
The only thing I kind of like about all this is it looks good on fundy Christians who use the exact same lame archaeological scholarship to support their belief in Noah's ark 'n' crap. Ah, now you're demanding exacting scholarship and peer review. Oh, okay.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 10:08:12 PM »
Quote from: "mindme"
The only thing I kind of like about all this is it looks good on fundy Christians who use the exact same lame archaeological scholarship to support their belief in Noah's ark 'n' crap. Ah, now you're demanding exacting scholarship and peer review. Oh, okay.

Yeah, my brain is scrambled, trying to get a handle on this (but that could also be because I'm not entirely sober :D). One the one hand, if the find proves to be what they say it is, that could have significant cultural ramifications. But that would also mean accepting a historical Jesus. And if it's not true....

It's pretty well-done so far. I can't imagine how I would've done it better. Credulous, but concise and remarkably packed with info.

Still watching....

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 10:11:35 PM »
It screws the pooch on the Da Vinci code.  :lol:

EDIT: Say what you want, it's pretty great TV. :D

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 09:27:41 AM »
Scientific American has a good discussion of the claims, with a particular emphasis on the statistical argument. After seeing the show (including the skeptical followup), that seems to me to be the biggest basket of eggs. The statistics, that is.

Offline rev_matt_y

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Rev Matt
fascinating story
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 03:29:26 PM »
Excellent link, skidoo!  

The Now Show on BBC Radio 4 (available via podcast) had a great bit about this, including a retelling of the story of Jesus via a blockbuster movie with Jesus on the bow of a ship yelling "King of the Jews!".
It's not right, and it's not smart, but it's part of what makes us who we are - Red Green

personate-rain
personate-rain